What's new

Advise on buying a new router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

railroader66

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I now have an Asus RT-AC88U. As since corona we are working from home, I notice that with all the devices we have running it is getting too much for my router. We have 3 computers , 2 laptops, printer and tablet and Netflix.
Witch router can you advise me to buy that is strong enough to keep up with so many devices? I had bought an Asus RT-AX88U but had to return it because for whatever reason I could not get it to work. Asking for help at ASUS support did not clear out why it didn't work.

Hello, I now have an Asus RT-AC88U. As since corona we are working from home, I notice that with all the devices we have running it is getting too much for my router. We have 3 computers , 2 laptops, printer and tablet and Netflix.
Witch router can you advise me to buy that is strong enough to keep up with so many devices? I had bought an Asus RT-AX88U but had to return it because for whatever reason I could not get it to work. Asking for help at ASUS support did not clear out why it didn't work.

That does not seem like too many network clients for your router.

What exactly does "it is getting too much for my router" mean? Can you explain the symptoms?

What type of Internet service do you have... DSL, cable, fiber? And what down/up Mbps speeds is it provisioned for? And have you performed any Internet speed tests (speedtest.net, nperf.com) from various clients to confirm these speeds?

Are you using Asuswrt-Merlin firmware?

OE

Thank you for your reply. By getting too much I mean that when several of the pc's are running, one is regularly loosing the connection.
We have internet over the cable. speedtest is 86.31 mb/sec, don't know if this is high or low. upload speed is 18,81 mb/sec. 2,4G is very slow. 5G seems ok.
I hva just now removed Merlin because I don't really understand all the configurations of it.
I can specify that the problems started after the last update from merlin.

My AC68U supports 21 clients of which only 7 are wired. It thinks nothing of two Netflix streams at the same time and consistently delivers 230Mbps and 10ms latency from my Spectrum "200Mbps" connection.

My AC68U supports 21 clients of which only 7 are wired. It thinks nothing of two Netflix streams at the same time and consistently delivers 230Mbps and 10ms latency from my Spectrum "200Mbps" connection.

My Router delivers only 80Mbps , I think there is a problem with the UTP cable but he is in the wall.

@railroader66, if you're flashing between stock Asus and RMerlin firmware without doing a full reset on the router afterward, that could be the cause of your issues.

If the 10 suggestions in the link above don't work to get your router/network stable, I suggest following the M&M Config and ideally, the Nuclear Reset guides to get your router back to a good/known state.

My Router delivers only 80Mbps , I think there is a problem with the UTP cable but he is in the wall.

Could it be that is the maximum download speed you're paying for from your ISP?

I would try a factory reset when your network is quiet...maybe send the people who live with you away for an hour to perform the procedure? Or tell them that internet will be down for that time, and to not bother you while you re-configure it?

I found the problem it was a broken cable now i ihave 286 Mbps. But when i don’t use the computer i’m losing my connection.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!