What's new

AES-NI on RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dr_lucas

Regular Contributor
Is AES-NI available on all AC86U models?
I am asking because the following article suggest that it isn't:
https://www.privateinternetaccess.c...celeration-is-here-for-routers-using-openvpn/

This is my cpu:
admin@RT-AC86U-01C0:/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 100.00
Features : fp asimd evtstrm aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32
CPU implementer : 0x42
CPU architecture: 8
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0x100
CPU revision : 0
processor : 1
BogoMIPS : 100.00
Features : fp asimd evtstrm aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32
CPU implementer : 0x42
CPU architecture: 8
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0x100
CPU revision : 0

Thanks

I've seen that article before but never found any reference anywhere else that there are versions of that router that don't have AES-NI. Although that doesn't mean there isn't it seems strange that no one else has ever mentioned it.

His source for this assumption seems to be wikidevi although when I've looked there I can't see anything to support his assertion. Quite the opposite in fact, it makes a point of saying there are multiple model numbers but they are all identical. They even link to the official Asus filing with the FCC.

https://fccid.io/MSQ-RTACHN00/Letter/Model-Names-Confirmation-Letter-3365365.pdf
We hereby confirm that Model No: RT-AC86U, RT-AC68U Extreme, RT-AC86A, RT-AC86P, RT-AC86R, RT-AC86X, RT-AC2900, AC2900 are identical in electrical, mechanical and physical design. The difference between these models is only for marketing purpose.

I am asking because the following article suggest that it isn't:

Where do they state that?

An RT-AC86U is an RT-AC86U. It comes with a BCM4906, which has hardware-accelerated AES support in the CPU.

Where do they state that?
It says:
(Note: There are multiple versions of the RT-AC86U and if you’re buying a router for this purpose, only the newer versions of the router have the new CPU with hardware acceleration. The best way to find the version of the RT-AC86U that has the feature is to make sure that the one you are looking to buy has the “AC2900” feature.)
But I think the author is confused. He goes on to say "For the purposes of this research I have selected the RT-AC86U (AC2600 version)", a version that doesn't exist.

I think he got mixed up with the RT-AC68U and perhaps the RT-AC68U Extreme.

"But I think the author is confused. He goes on to say "For the purposes of this research I have selected the RT-AC86U (AC2600 version)", a version that doesn't exist."

I believe that was a typo in the article. Earlier in the article references "2900"

So what devices are using these Broadcom processors?

Asus RT-AC68U Extreme
Asus RT-AC86U (AC2900 version)
Asus GT-AC5300
Asus GT-AX11000
Asus RT-AX95U
Asus RT-AX88U
Arris SurfBoard W31
D-Link DIR-X6060