1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Affordable 4 or 5-port 2.5 gbe switches?

Discussion in 'Switches, NICs and cabling' started by maxbraketorque, Jan 15, 2020.

1. maxbraketorque

maxbraketorque Very Senior Member

I'm looking to upgrade my home network to 2.5 gbe, and while 2.5 gbe adapters are reasonably affordable, I'm having a hard time finding a 4 or 5-port 2.5 gbe switch that is less than $200 (or preferably less than $150). I know that Mikrotik makes a very nice 4-port 10 gbe SFP+ switch that's only $130, but it appears that I would need fiber-to-copper adapters to utilize this switch with my existing ethernet cabling (which is all Cat 6). Each one of those is ~$30/ea, so that adds another $90 to the cost.

If anyone knows of an affordable 2.5/5 gbe switch, would be great to see what those are.

2. maxbraketorque

Nothing, eh?

3. Keith Gorham

Keith Gorham New Around Here

I just wonder why you think you need 2.5 gbe. I upgrade my to GB(when I found cheap used switches) even when I know I really do not need the speed.

4. follower

follower Senior Member

With that price? Impossible.

5. abailey

abailey Very Senior Member

Your price point is going to be very tough to get to right now. I think we will see some in that price range in another 18 months or so. Maybe there is something out there I don't know about. The lowest I know of is kind of a hybrid. The Netgear MS510TX. It has (4) 1 Gig RJ-45 ports, (2) 1G/2.5G RJ-45 ports, (2) 1G/2.5G/5G RJ-45 ports, (1) 10G RJ-45 port and (1) SFP+ port. It is still above your price point at around $210.00.

6. NSNE

NSNE Occasional Visitor

Keep an eye on Amazon Warehouse. You might be able to find your ideal switch at a much lower price point. Just before Christmas I bought a 28-port, 4-SFP+ 10G switch there for $175 (normally $400+). "Very Good" was an understatement for "Brand New," as it didn't even appear to have been touched.

7. maxbraketorque

Need the speed for large data backups in a reasonable period of time. My NAS is 2.5 gbe with a RAID10 array, so plenty of speed internally.

Thanks. I hadn't seen that, and it would get the job done, although more than I want to spend. Its probably the safest bet. Maybe I'll watch Amazon warehouse as NSNE mentioned.

8. Trip

Trip Very Senior Member

GS110EMX is slightly cheaper at $189, but only 2 multi-gig ports vs 8 on the MS510TX.

Interestingly enough Buffalo has come out with the LXW-10G2/2G, but only for sale in Japan (of all places), and a bit pricey still at ~$300 USD equivalent. Still, a nice option if they ever decided to sell it elsewhere and if the price came down a bit.