After 386.3 upgrade, ASUS-to-ASUS VPN link connection but no data

  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

maxbraketorque

Very Senior Member
I've had a site-to-site VPN tunnel running smoothly between two ASUS routers for a few years now. I have been selectively installing alpha and beta versions of 386.3 as they were released without issue, and the site-to-site tunnel was working fine with the ASUS router OVPN client running 386.3_0 and the ASUS router OVPN server running 386.3_alpha1. This morning, I upgraded the server to 386.3_0, and after this, the site-to-site tunnel would connect without issue and is clearly connected from both ends, but data between the locations no longer flows, and attempts to ping get no response from either end. No OVPN connection errors were observed. I am not using any VPN Director rules with 386.3, and I didn't have any rules before that.

This tunnel is purely for site-to-site access, so the tunnel only transmits LAN traffic, and I use decimal addresses for accessing services across the tunnel, so the lack of data and connectivity through the tunnel is not a DNS issue, or at least I don't think it is. I found and ran Martineau's ChkVPNConfig script, and this returned a result stating that "RPDB rules will be misdirected for VPN Client 2 via eth0". Several weeks ago, I happened to run "ip rule show", "ip route", and "show table ovpnc2" for something I was doing with Jack Yaz, and the results of those commands today are exactly the same as they were two weeks ago.

This evening I can switch the OVPN server router back to 386.3_alpha1 to see if that resolves the issue, but does anyone have any thoughts on what else I can check? Currently, I only have access to the router running the OVPN client.
 

maxbraketorque

Very Senior Member
Going back to the prior firmware on the OVPN server router did not resolve the issue. One thing I noticed last night and am consistently seeing in the server log is:

Jul 29 08:08:23 kernel: Interface tap21 doesn't exist
Jul 29 08:08:23 kernel: Interface tun21 doesn't exist

These messages appear when the server is stopped and then again when it is restarted.
 

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
Going back to the prior firmware on the OVPN server router did not resolve the issue. One thing I noticed last night and am consistently seeing in the server log is:

Jul 29 08:08:23 kernel: Interface tap21 doesn't exist
Jul 29 08:08:23 kernel: Interface tun21 doesn't exist

These messages appear when the server is stopped and then again when it is restarted.
 

maxbraketorque

Very Senior Member
Yeah, I found that thread, but the issue I'm seeing is different. The connection process appears to be 100% successful without any errors. Just the usual warnings about cached passwords and fallback cipher not being specified. Both client and server say a connection is created, and a post-connection MTU test succeeds. However, no data between the LAN's flows. With that said, it does feel like the issue I'm seeing is related to the tap and tun messages in the log. But I don't know how to resolve the issue. I even tried going back to 386.2_6, but that didn't resolve it. So perhaps something is now corrupted on the server router OVPN settings.
 

Latest threads

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!
Top