What's new

After a reboot/failure of the modem, the internet does not work on the PC.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

VLKOR

New Around Here
Hello,

I'm asking for your advice and help.

My particular problem is with my internet connection, if I have the "manually assign IP address" function enabled in my DSL-AC68U modem and I assign a fixed internal IP address (192.168.1.2) to my computer - I have tried 192.168.1.11 and 192.168.1.221 (all the same).

I should probably add that I have been observing this problem for quite some time and only on Windows 11 devices (my main computer via Ethernet). On Windows 10 I do not observe this problem. (But it is possible that Windows 11 is not related)

Everything works fine when I turn on the computer in the classic way. The problem occurs when I reboot the modem during the day and my computer is running during that.

After the modem reboot is complete, the PC doesn't want to grab the internet, and even though the PC connection status says it is connected to the internet, the internet doesn't work (neither the internet browser nor desktop applications requiring internet).

If this problem occurs, the following actions help me:

1.) Disconnecting and reconnecting the Ethernet cable to the PC
2.) Locking and then enabling the network adapter in the PC settings.
3.) Type ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew into the console.

I also tried factory resetting the modem, but the problem persists.

On my PC, I have the network adapter set to get the IP address and DNS automatically from DHCP.

If I have the "manually assign IP address" function turned off, my problem does not occur.

In a test on an old Comtrend vr-3026e modem, the problem does not occur on any PC with this feature.

Modem firmware version: 3.0.0.4.386_47534 (latest)

I would be very happy if we could resolve this issue, as I like to assign IP addresses manually for clarity.

After a reboot/failure of the modem, the internet does not work on the PC.

Why are you rebooting the 'modem'/how is the 'modem' failing (besides not reconnecting the PC)?

OE

Why are you rebooting the 'modem'/how is the 'modem' failing (besides not reconnecting the PC)?

OE
I set my modem to restart automatically at night. Sometimes I let the PC run overnight because I need to download/upload data.

I set my modem to restart automatically at night.

So it's not failing... you just choose to reboot it every night. I suppose you could stop doing that to avoid the PC reconnection issue, or skip the manually-assigned IP address. Otherwise, you may need to reboot that stubborn PC client, too. Have you checked for an updated OEM driver for the PC network adapter?

OE

Needlessly rebooting is a user created problem. :)

Hello,

I'm asking for your advice and help.

My particular problem is with my internet connection, if I have the "manually assign IP address" function enabled in my DSL-AC68U modem and I assign a fixed internal IP address (192.168.1.2) to my computer - I have tried 192.168.1.11 and 192.168.1.221 (all the same).

I should probably add that I have been observing this problem for quite some time and only on Windows 11 devices (my main computer via Ethernet). On Windows 10 I do not observe this problem. (But it is possible that Windows 11 is not related)

Everything works fine when I turn on the computer in the classic way. The problem occurs when I reboot the modem during the day and my computer is running during that.

After the modem reboot is complete, the PC doesn't want to grab the internet, and even though the PC connection status says it is connected to the internet, the internet doesn't work (neither the internet browser nor desktop applications requiring internet).

If this problem occurs, the following actions help me:

1.) Disconnecting and reconnecting the Ethernet cable to the PC
2.) Locking and then enabling the network adapter in the PC settings.
3.) Type ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew into the console.

I also tried factory resetting the modem, but the problem persists.

On my PC, I have the network adapter set to get the IP address and DNS automatically from DHCP.

If I have the "manually assign IP address" function turned off, my problem does not occur.

In a test on an old Comtrend vr-3026e modem, the problem does not occur on any PC with this feature.

Modem firmware version: 3.0.0.4.386_47534 (latest)

I would be very happy if we could resolve this issue, as I like to assign IP addresses manually for clarity.
Assign/reserve a static IP for your computer in the router, instead of the PC forcing an IP address?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!