What's new

after update to 384.3, can't connect to guest network if regular network SSID broadcast is disabled

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cuekay

Occasional Visitor
Hello. I had for at least two years been able to run a guest network whose SSID is broadcasted with a freeradius WPA2/Enterprise wireless network whose SSID is not broadcasted. I had just updated the firmware from 380.x to 384.3 today and found that my guest wifi network is no longer something I can connect to nor is showing up as an available hotspot on any of my client devices (e.g. laptop, phone).

To troubleshoot, I had played with enabling the broadcast SSID setting on my regular network. I did this on my 2.4 GHz network and I was able to connect to my guest network SSID for the 2.4 GHz network only. Disabling SSID broadcast on the regular 2.4 GHz network not only made the SSID disappear from the list of available networks on my devices, but the devices that were connected to that network no longer were connected. This same phenomenon was observed on my 5 GHz network.

I was wondering how to address this newly coupled behavior between the guest network settings and the regular network settings. Any help would be much appreciated!

I have not, only due to my not having touched the configuration in 2+ years. Since I have entware set up, I believe there's a configuration backup method where I just backup all the hooks and restore them. It just took so long for me to get it set up the way I have it and it would be a very taxing process to have to relearn all the bits and pieces and would rather not expose my configuration to errors and unforeseen changes through manually reconfiguring my router from scratch. If there is a straightforward process that allows me to preserve my configuration and then restore it after the factory reset, that would alleviate any anxiety surrounding this process. Cheers!

in beta3 it is repaired, use it or wait for 384.4 coming soon.

Last edited:
thanks, Grisu. I just tried it and thought that it worked for a second before realizing that now my guest network SSIDs are not showing up on any of my devices regardless of how my regular network's SSID visibility settings are configured. :(

Last edited: