What's new

after upgrade to 384.5beta2, can't downgrade or change firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sas

Regular Contributor
Hi, while trying to diagnose some network issues I decided to try the latest firmware (384.5beta2 on my ac68u) and now I am unable to install any other firmware. I can't downgrade to my previous 384.4_2, nor install the official latest ASUS firmware (RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_20648-g21e3702).

The files upload normally, and the message indicates that the firmware upgrades were a success, but the firmware version listed stays always at 384.5beta2.

I have also tried "Restore" and "Initialize" in the Administration area, but it has no effect on the firmware version (just erases all my settings).

I have further tried ssh into the router and issued the command "mtd-erase2 nvram" and then rebooting but this also changes nothing related to the firmware.

Any suggestions for how I can either downgrade the Merlin firmware or install the stock latest from Asus?

I did that already (at least as described in your linked post), and sadly it is still stuck at 384.5beta2

Asus changed the validation process for the RT-AC68U. You cannot downgrade from 384.5 or 3.0.0.4.384_20xxx to previous versions. Asus's 20648 release should flash just fine.

Try using their Firmware Restoration tool, it might possibly work - untested.

Asus changed the validation process for the RT-AC68U. You cannot downgrade from 384.5 or 3.0.0.4.384_20xxx to previous versions. Asus's 20648 release should flash just fine.

Try using their Firmware Restoration tool, it might possibly work - untested.

Thanks I just tried restore of several firmware files, they all failed (no error btw, the screen went from min web restore server page to blank after some time)

I just tried to upgrade my 384.5beta2 to the just released 384.5_0 and it will not upgrade. The firmware uploads and the progress bar shows, but then nothing changes and it was never even rebooted. Forcing a reboot deletes all settings and the firmware stays stuck at 384.5beta2

I just tried to upgrade my 384.5beta2 to the just released 384.5_0 and it will not upgrade. The firmware uploads and the progress bar shows, but then nothing changes and it was never even rebooted. Forcing a reboot deletes all settings and the firmware stays stuck at 384.5beta2

What router is it? .............. Never mind , looking at previous posts you have an AC68U.

I see you use USB devices , remove all USB's and reboot before you flash the firmware.

Last edited:
Anyone has any update on this?

I'm having the exact same issue. I'm stuck with 384.5 firmware. I tried downgrade to no avail. I tried to upgrade to 384.6 and the screen still says 384.5. There is no error/warning message anywhere, it looked like it's perfectly upgraded.

I did have USB storage plugged-in when I did my upgrade to 384.5. Would that matter?

Hi. Did you ever get your AC1900 working again?