What's new

Aging Asus 3100 not cutting it anymore

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Grievous Angel

Regular Contributor
Hello guys. Joined here and bought an AC66 and then an AC3100 and have been on the Merlin train since then. THe 3100 has served me well but I feel like it's getting long in the tooth--the wifi is getting flaky and less stable. I bought it almost 5 years ago. I'm on the latest Merlin version and did do a factory reset--I have NOT tried the latest Asus firmware. I just feel like after all these years of buying routers, the "rot" sets in at some point and I might be there. I don't really have interference with neighbors--I see no other networks.

One thing has changed since purchasing the 3100 is I added an external garage that was on the very edge of my wifi range. I bought a netgear extender (AC) and it works...well enough. It's not great.

So I'm back to square one. Deciding betwen another "monster" router--and if so, which one? Stay with Asus? I've enjoyed the stability of the AC3100. Shoudl I go tri-band? And what's the best way to extend wifi out to the garage?

Or should I go "Mesh" and try to "daisy chain" my way out to the garage (if that's possible with a wireless backhaul). If I went Mesh, I would definitely do Tri-band, and probably AX...but having a hard time deciding between Orbi/Velop/Asus Zen/TP Link....

My house is 3,000 sq ft, one level, brick external--coverage inside the house hasn't been an issue. The external garage is maybe 25-50 feet away from the house...I could get a more specific measurement.

I'm able to plug in for gaming at my location as the router is right there. I have only 200mbps down internet, could upgrade to 400 but don't really need it.

Thanks in advance for your experience and advice.

After going back to Asus Stock Firmware and doing a factory reset, AND changing the SSID names (thinking maybe this will force some amount of "fresh connections" on clients), I'm stable again. I had a HELLUVA time getting a damn Honeywell Wifi Stat to connect. I'm STILL not sure how I got it done. Reset the extender too and I'm getting better than ever results out of it as well.

Glad I don't have to face the mesh train just yet...sounds a little too "nanny state" for me at this time.

But if I do end up replacing this router for an AX model--which one should I look to that would provide similar, or better, range? The choices, even with Asus, are overwhelming. Would the AX86U provide similar range and performance or better? Or would I have to go more expensive, perhaps one of the more gnarly ROG models?

@L&LD
You are like The Fast Draw of The Old West with the Helpful links, Thank You!
If only there was a Better Search
Stay Safe Everyone

Thanks for your advice. I decided it was time for a refresh, so I ordered the AX86U. Unfortunately I coudln't find it locally so I ordered from Amazon. My AC3100 is almost five years old, has been reset a few times and put back to ASUS firmware, and I'm still having random issues. Speed is fine, range is fine...it's just weird connectivity issues. I hope the AX86u does at least as well on range, and I expect it will.

The main thing right now is I'm actually having a hell of a time with my Honeywell Wifi thermostat...it will randomly disconnect and it's really difficult figuring out what combination gets it back online. Last time I looked it had no IP address, and I didn't see it connected in the router. I've removed it from the wall plate and will deal with it when I get back home. I do see several threads via search (for Honeywell) and I will troubleshoot that way. If the new router doesn't help, oh well--it was probably time for a refresh anyway.

I got the new router (AX86u) and have everything set back up. One thing that jumped out right away was the seemingly beefier power supply and cord, compared to the one that came with the AC3100. This one is more like a laptop power supply. Probably adds credence to some of what I read about shaky power supplies going bad, and perhaps that was part of the issue with my aging AC3100.

Unplugged my modem for a few minutes. Fired it back up.
I wired it to the regular WAN port...not the 2.5 gig port.
I flashed it with Merlin then immediately reset it from the gui.
I have all new SSIDs and passwords.
I kept ALL defaults besides WPS. I turned it off. (I look forward to seeing what else I can disable). I also left the "AX" mode on.
I connected all "screen" devices to 5g, including a Google Nest Hub. I connected all other IOT devices to 2.4 (smart plugs, google home speakers, a thermostat, garage door, kindles).

It's only been up a few hours while I've connected everything but so far so good. I did have one computer that needed a driver update--they have a sheet for this right on top of the box letting everyone know what Intel Wifi drivers need updating and to what versions.

Router has been up for 10 days and 7 hours at this point, according to the system log. I do think there is something to a "slow death" of routers. I had my AC3100 on a laptop fan for years...and it did help the temps. I took it off at some point because it started making noise. Coincidence? Probably. Still makes me wonder. I'm going to leave the ax68u alone since it's oriented vertically. Current temp is 68 degrees (Celsius).

Everything is default minus disabling the LEDs, WPS, and WAN access (to the gui). I live on a fairly large lot and don't see the neighbors SSID, so channel conflict isn't really a thing.

I've noticed no drop-off in range from the AC3100 which has been noted for exceptional range.

Looks like I made the right choice?

Side note--I do have a Netgear Extender that I used for an external garage. I power it off and on as needed, as I know that's not a great solution. But just trying to use its interface (netgear "genie" I think) is horrible. Glad I stuck with Asus. I can live with the "dated" gui for all this functionality.