What's new

Ai mesh - control over backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

autopilot

Occasional Visitor
Hi. I have an AX88U operating in AP mode and Ai. With an XT9 and XD4plus connected to it with Ethernet backhaul.

I also have another XT9 in my garage, but no Ethernet there (also tried powerline adapter, but terrible speeds). So the one uses the 5Ghz backhaul channel.

The issue I have is that when it connects to the other XT9, the the connection is good. But very often it randomly connects to a distant node and the backhaul connection is poor.

I have in the settings said what the preferred route is, but it seems to mostly ignore this. It makes no sense. Is there any way to force it to use a certain node, or block it from others?

It sounds like there could be some instability causing the XT9's to loose connection to each other, thus causing it to connect to a different node. Has this always been a problem? Perhaps you could try and revert to a different firmware version to see if there is a bug responsible for the disconnections.

This smells like a situation where the mesh controller has fewer radios than the node(s), thus just doesn't know how to fully/properly control them.

If you're not reliant on guest network 1 VLAN propagation throughout the network, you'll be much better off eschewing AiMesh entirely. Really.

Hi. I have an AX88U operating in AP mode and Ai. With an XT9 and XD4plus connected to it with Ethernet backhaul.

I also have another XT9 in my garage, but no Ethernet there (also tried powerline adapter, but terrible speeds). So the one uses the 5Ghz backhaul channel.

The issue I have is that when it connects to the other XT9, the the connection is good. But very often it randomly connects to a distant node and the backhaul connection is poor.

I have in the settings said what the preferred route is, but it seems to mostly ignore this. It makes no sense. Is there any way to force it to use a certain node, or block it from others?

ASUS use to market a router like the AX88U for a "very large home". You have 4 APs... do you have a very very very very large home? :)

Try disconnecting the wired backhauls and laying out your wireless AiMesh until it works the way you think it should. Then add the wired backhauls. You may need to turn OFF some APs.

OE

ASUS use to market a router like the AX88U for a "very large home". You have 4 APs... do you have a very very very very large home? :)

Try disconnecting the wired backhauls and laying out your wireless AiMesh until it works the way you think it should. Then add the wired backhauls. You may need to turn OFF some APs.

OE

Ah yes, Asus (and WiFi in general) marketing. Yes I have large home yes, but not overly so. The AX88U doesn’t reach all areas well, as it has penetrate 2 floors of a brick house. I also have about 70 devices, like doorbells which need a decent connection.

This smells like a situation where the mesh controller has fewer radios than the node(s), thus just doesn't know how to fully/properly control them.

If you're not reliant on guest network 1 VLAN propagation throughout the network, you'll be much better off eschewing AiMesh entirely. Really.

Surely only one radio is required for the single node that doesn’t have a wired backhaul, all other nodes are wired.

I'm not knocking the "convenience" of AiMesh, but it does leave a large amount on the table concerning performance.

In the case of someone merely wanting Internet connectivity, in any form, available everywhere, it's okay. But LAN intercommunication takes a back seat "in the mesh." By a rather large margin.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!