What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CRAKZOR

New Around Here
The nodes are hardwired ethernet backhaul. The ethernet devices connected to the nodes are still online. It just shows the nodes as offline in the web gui.

Cant say exactly when or how often they go down. I usually check every week in the web gui if they're still online. This has been an issue since I've been using ai-mesh (a couple years).

Using latest merlin firmware. 386.7_2 main router & nodes
scripts:
diversion v4.2.2
skynet v7.2.8
w/ latest amtm and entware packages

main router and nodes on UPS's
nodes are 5ghz broadcast only, main router 2ghz & 5ghz

1661522681068.png

power cycle affected nodes usually fixes

Last edited:
I doubt there is anything RMerlin can do about that issue as the WiFi components are (closed-source/Asus) + If you noticed, shortly after firmware 386.6...
Asus seems to have altered the following section:
-AiMesh -> "Select one of your NODES" -> Select "Management" tile -> & Notice: "Backhaul Connection Priority" (But Click the Drop down List) it seems there is no-longer the option to select "Wired-Ethernet". So I guess we're (guessing/assuming) as to what or how the Router-Node Communication is being implemented. But IMO when hardwired, I'd prefer to assume Ethernet backhaul is always working & maintain full wifi bandwidth for the clients to use.

I doubt there is anything RMerlin can do about that issue as the WiFi components are (closed-source/Asus) + If you noticed, shortly after firmware 386.6...
Asus seems to have altered the following section:
-AiMesh -> "Select one of your NODES" -> Select "Management" tile -> & Notice: "Backhaul Connection Priority" (But Click the Drop down List) it seems there is no-longer the option to select "Wired-Ethernet". So I guess we're (guessing/assuming) as to what or how the Router-Node Communication is being implemented. But IMO when hardwired, I'd prefer to assume Ethernet backhaul is always working & maintain full wifi bandwidth for the clients to use.

i notice that, but the dropdown is locked and says
Backhaul Connection Priority

Ethernet only

Are they really offline or is it a glitch in the webserver saying they are. You said wired clients are still working through the node.

@CRAKZOR Your original Post didn't actually specify what firmware your main router was running & I assumed you were running the same firmware as the nodes.
But I can say from my own experience... If you are running firmware 386.7_2 on the Main Router it SHOULD NOT allow you to set:
-Backhaul Connection Priority= Ethernet only
Are you running a different & older firmware version on the main router than the nodes & still expecting everything to work?
If so... I'd try the following:
#1) The same firmware 386.7_2 on all devices. (And if it still doesn't work)
#2) Try The newest Stock firmware on the Nodes.

@Tech Junky I think he said it was a WebUI display problem so... perhaps there is something that RMerlin could resolve (But it's a slim chance).

Are they really offline or is it a glitch in the webserver saying they are. You said wired clients are still working through the node.
correct, wired clients are working through the node, the wireless clients are switched to the main router I believe

@CRAKZOR Your original Post didn't actually specify what firmware your main router was running & I assumed you were running the same firmware as the nodes.
But I can say from my own experience... If you are running firmware 386.7_2 on the Main Router it SHOULD NOT allow you to set:
-Backhaul Connection Priority= Ethernet only
Are you running a different & older firmware version on the main router than the nodes & still expecting everything to work?
If so... I'd try the following:
#1) The same firmware 386.7_2 on all devices. (And if it still doesn't work)
#2) Try The newest Stock firmware on the Nodes.

@Tech Junky I think he said it was a WebUI display problem so... perhaps there is something that RMerlin could resolve (But it's a slim chance).
Sorry, I just edited that post. The main router and nodes are on 386.7_2
here are screenies of what I see

1661530058211.png
1661530025228.png

The main router and nodes are on 386.7_2

You don't need Asuswrt-Merlin on nodes. Asuswrt-Merlin often breaks node discovery in AiMesh and your issue may be related. Try stock Asuswrt on nodes and if it doesn't work your choice is between Asuswrt on all routers for stable AiMesh or Asuswrt-Merlin router + 2x routers in AP mode.

You perhaps have too many routers for your space. According to your pictures, when your nodes go off-line all your devices successfully connect to the main router. There is a good chance all you need is one centrally located router. You don't need full bars signal to every corner of your house.