What's new

AI Mesh Performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Darryl

Occasional Visitor
I setup a 68U as an AIMesh node in my High Rise apartment, the main router being an 86U. I then took the node to my partner's apartment approx 500 metres away and put the node in a window with direct line of sight to my apartment. Somewhat to my surprise the node connects to my router successfully and provides quite reasonable internet access in my partner's apartment. In my apartment a speedtest comes in at just over 100 Mbps. The same speedtest in my partner's apartment comes in at about 15Mbps. An adequate speed for most tasks including watching HD video.

The routers are stock with Merlin firmware. No change in antennas or in fact any special arrangement for the distance. So far the connection has been very stable, though I suspect speed may well suffer on occasions with certain weather conditions. A very pleasant surprise that the routers and AIMesh are up to this task. Anyone else tried AIMesh with that sort of outdoor distance?

I setup a 68U as an AIMesh node in my High Rise apartment, the main router being an 86U. I then took the node to my partner's apartment approx 500 metres away and put the node in a window with direct line of sight to my apartment. Somewhat to my surprise the node connects to my router successfully and provides quite reasonable internet access in my partner's apartment. In my apartment a speedtest comes in at just over 100 Mbps. The same speedtest in my partner's apartment comes in at about 15Mbps. An adequate speed for most tasks including watching HD video.

The routers are stock with Merlin firmware. No change in antennas or in fact any special arrangement for the distance. So far the connection has been very stable, though I suspect speed may well suffer on occasions with certain weather conditions. A very pleasant surprise that the routers and AIMesh are up to this task. Anyone else tried AIMesh with that sort of outdoor distance?

I've connected tiny mobile clients while out walking at up to a ~ 1/4 mile (too slow for much traffic)... so I can't imagine your 500 meters (~1/3 mile) working, but I suppose line of site helps... and the router-to-router transmission... and maybe even the building reflections... AiMesh cool!

Beware that his usage reflects on your ISP logs (you).

OE

Thanks for pointing out potential troubles with ISP logs. I can't imagine how the ISP would be able to tell whether she is using her devices from my apartment, which she usually does, or from hers. To them it is just traffic on my network. It is an unlimited data account and usage is well within acceptable parameters and will remain so.

I too am amazed that the node works so well at this distance. I was over there earlier today and the speedtest results are about the same. In fact download was about 17 Mbps! Quite extraordinary. I think the line of sight is the main factor. There could be some reflection off one large building to one side of the direct path. And router to router definitely helps. Before I tried this I was sometimes able to get a marginal but usable connection to my 2.4 GHz network on my mobile phone from her Apartment but this was very dependent on conditions and time of day. My reasoning for giving AIMesh a try was that the better antennas on the routers may produce a better connection. The results so far exceed my wildest expectations. Fantastic AIMesh!

I can't imagine how the ISP would be able to tell whether she is using her devices from my apartment
I suspect OE was inferring that any nefarious usage of the internet would be associated with your account, but I could be wrong.

I suspect OE was inferring that any nefarious usage of the internet would be associated with your account, but I could be wrong.

Sorry. Of course you are correct. In this case a low risk but not of course non-existent.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!