What's new

AI Mesh questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

92merc

New Around Here
I have a router running Tomato currently. It is an ASUS RT-AC3200. My issue now is it still doesn't cover my house as well as I'd like. I've tried a lot of changes on the router to boost output, but I still don't have as reliable coverage as I'd like.

I have a ranch house. In my mechanical room is where I have my router setup. I believe it's all the ducting in the area that's limiting decent coverage to that half of the house. From what I'm reading, AIMesh may cure that. I've had this router since that model came out, and I'm ready to spend some money and get a good solution.

My computer room is basically in the exact opposite end of the house from my mech room. On the good side, I installed plenty of CAT5 wiring that does an excellent job of keeping the wired devices on the network. I'd like to go with the GT-AC5300 as my main router due to some features it has that I like.

My questions revolve around the child router. Where my computer is currently would be the best place to put that router for wireless coverage. But I only have one wired network jack in that corner of the room. I'm guessing if I plug the "Internet" line into the wall, do the other 4 wired network jacks on the child router basically join the same subnet as the parent router?

I'm really hoping ASUS will announce a firmware update to my existing router so I can use that as the child router. If not, I'm thinking AC-86U as the child.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, when router is used in aimesh it join it's parent router in this case gt-ac5300, in fact using wire is preferred. You also get 4 extra lan ports for free to wire other devices.

Perfect. That's what I was hoping for. I'm just holding out to see if that firmware for my old router really does come out 4 quarter like rumored.