What's new

AI Mesh Setup Fail

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Spicy93

New Around Here
Hi, I’m new here, however I’ve scoured through for answers, and seems like I’ve tried everything at this point but still to no avail.
I’ve previously run AI Mesh from my router (RT-AC5300) to nodes (RT-AC00 and RT-AC66u_B1) for a long time with no issues. Recently I noticed a update needed, and it broke everything. And unfortunately I didn’t save the config file before I started.
Now my 5300 won’t see any of the routers for AI Mesh setup, I’m using Ethernet backhaul, but I’ve tried both backhaul and wireless setup, I’ve reset all routers, nothing. Since then I purchased another AC3100 used, and that won’t see anything either. Ive tried backdating the firmware to an older version and still nothing. Can anyone recommend anything???

Welcome to the forums @Spicy93.

You may need to start at the beginning again for the fastest process to a working router/network.

First, reset all the routers as per the directions for the models listed below. Make sure they are all disconnected from all USB and Ethernet connections first. Be sure to flash the latest firmware on them first (I would suggest the latest Beta 1 RMerlin firmware, at least to test with).

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

After you have done the above, do not touch any of the routers you will be using as AiMesh nodes. Turn them off (physically unplug them from both the AC wall plug and the router too) and power them up as needed and directed in the instructions below.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Bring the nodes close to the router and set up with WIFI. When you have stable mesh connection move the nodes and connect to Ethernet. Recent Asus firmware does work well with AiMesh.

Thank you for the responses and help. Today I updated all routers to latest stable Merlin Firmware. Then did the hard reset on all devices. With everything disconnected, I was able to see my original AC-66u_B1 and RT-AC3100, however AI-Mesh Setup over wifi failed on both of these devices. I connected them hardwired, and the AI-Mesh Setup worked! Hooray!

However my most recently purchased RT-AC3100 cannot be found by AI-Mesh Setup, over wifi or hardwired. I did the firmware update, and hard reset and still nothing. Its worth noting that after I let it boot up following a hard reset, the 2 indicator lights for the 2.4 and 5G Radios are not turning on, whereas the working routers did turn on. Im thinking the router has something wrong. Can anyone confirm if they've experienced this issue?

How long are you waiting for them to turn on?

How long are you waiting for them to turn on?
I’ve tried a short and long while. I’m troubleshooting further, the router will not let me do wifi setup, only hardwire, when I go into the settings the wifi channels are stuck at 0. From what I read this is likely a hardware failure? Anyone with experience with this?
I contacted ASUS support and they say it needs service but since it’s out of warranty it’ll cost

Try leaving them physically unplugged from both the AC wall outlet and the connection at the router, including any USB devices and Ethernet cables too. Wait at least a few minutes (I leave it up to an hour when I can).

The following may also help (needs to be done to each router).

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset Router and Network

When the above is done on each unit, turn it off as suggested above.

When all are done, on the main unit, try following the suggestions and best practices below.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!