What's new

AI Mesh w/ Ethernet Backhaul issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Diddy

Occasional Visitor
Hi all. Quick question. Looking for some help.

I've setup my 88U as the main router in my house. It's in the basement. Down there I have my Comcast modem, which goes into the WAN on my Asus 88U. From the 88U switch port, I've got Cat6 running to my Gig Netgear 16 port switch. Switch is then run via Cat6 to a patch panel, which networks the rest of my house. Have Cat6 runs in all bedrooms, living room, kitchen, etc.

Today, I picked up a used AC3100 to use as an AI Mesh node. Flashed the newest FW, cleared NVRAM, booted into the 3100, and configured it as a Node. Logged into my 88U, searched for the node, found it, and configured it.

All good so far....

Here's the problem. I moved the AC3100 to my bedroom upstairs, directly oposite of where the 88U sits downstairs. I have a Cat6 run to my bedroom. So, when I took the 3100 upstairs, plugged the wall plate into the WAN port on the 3100, I expected it to show as a "wired" node via AI Mesh, but, it's always wireless.

Am I missing something here? Does AI Mesh require a "direct" run from the switch port on my 88U to the WAN port of the 3100 in order to show as wired? Don't see how that would make any sense and is a poor design if so.

Being the fact that my whole home is wired for gig, I'd like to take advantage of that and use the Ethernet Backhaul that's available with AI Mesh, but I can't seem to get it working, unless I'm simply missing something simple.

Thanks for any help on this one.

Hi all. Quick question. Looking for some help.

I've setup my 88U as the main router in my house. It's in the basement. Down there I have my Comcast modem, which goes into the WAN on my Asus 88U. From the 88U switch port, I've got Cat6 running to my Gig Netgear 16 port switch. Switch is then run via Cat6 to a patch panel, which networks the rest of my house. Have Cat6 runs in all bedrooms, living room, kitchen, etc.

Today, I picked up a used AC3100 to use as an AI Mesh node. Flashed the newest FW, cleared NVRAM, booted into the 3100, and configured it as a Node. Logged into my 88U, searched for the node, found it, and configured it.

All good so far....

Here's the problem. I moved the AC3100 to my bedroom upstairs, directly oposite of where the 88U sits downstairs. I have a Cat6 run to my bedroom. So, when I took the 3100 upstairs, plugged the wall plate into the WAN port on the 3100, I expected it to show as a "wired" node via AI Mesh, but, it's always wireless.

Am I missing something here? Does AI Mesh require a "direct" run from the switch port on my 88U to the WAN port of the 3100 in order to show as wired? Don't see how that would make any sense and is a poor design if so.

Being the fact that my whole home is wired for gig, I'd like to take advantage of that and use the Ethernet Backhaul that's available with AI Mesh, but I can't seem to get it working, unless I'm simply missing something simple.

Thanks for any help on this one.

The router Administration - Operation Mode tab is a bit misleading when it comes to defining an AiMesh remote node... you do not have to configure anything in the remote node. Simply install the AiMesh firmware, factory default reset it, and then add the remote node to the AiMesh from within the router GUI. The router node then sets up the remote node... no user pre-configuration of the remote node is required.

I've read that some LAN switches can interfere with the Auto sensing of a wired backhaul. So, go to the Network Map, edit the AiMesh node/more config/connection priority and set it to 'wired' to force using the wired backhaul. Hope that does it.

OE

The router Administration - Operation Mode tab is a bit misleading when it comes to defining an AiMesh remote node... you do not have to configure anything in the remote node. Simply install the AiMesh firmware, factory default reset it, and then add the remote node to the AiMesh from within the router GUI. The router node then sets up the remote node... no user pre-configuration of the remote node is required.

I've read that some LAN switches can interfere with the Auto sensing of a wired backhaul. So, go to the Network Map, edit the AiMesh node/more config/connection priority and set it to 'wired' to force using the wired backhaul. Hope that does it.

OE

Well crap! Thanks for that! I somehow completely missed that option and didn't even see I could set that there. I was clicking on the Connection Type and didn't even see you could set the connection Priority right above it. That did it and I'm good to go. Thanks so much!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!