What's new

AI Protect increases bufferbloat

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BreakingDad

Very Senior Member
So I installed Skynet last night, and reactivated aiprotect, all good. Then I ran a dslreport and I noticed my rating had gone from A+ A A+ to A B A. As I have not used skynet before, I assumed it was this. So I temporarily disabled skynet. Ran the test again. Still the same. I then tried again without AIProtect on and skynet back on , back to A+ A A+.

Conclusion, AIProtect increases bufferbloat and slightly reduces speed/quality on dslreports.

Question:

Is this normal?

@BreakingDad, may I suggest you use a 'signature' with at least your router model(s), roles, and firmware on each (and your ISP 'paid for' speeds too)? My brain is fuzzy today and I can't remember what has who!

You may want to try all this again and wait at least 15 minutes to allow the router cores to settle fully, reboot the router and after waiting another 15 minutes or more, check again. It may be just background tasks that need to complete (or not).

Also, note that dslreports.com/speedtest has been wonky for the last year or more for almost, everyone. I am not saying to not use it. I'm saying add more test sites to give you a better overall indicator of the state of your connection. :)

Signature added to befit my new senior status ;)

Also, note that dslreports.com/speedtest has been wonky for the last year or more for almost, everyone.

Totally agree that test is not accurate and never really has been. Not worth using and the results certainly can't be trusted.

What you you recommend for testing bufferbloat ? (non manually)

I mean:

1609703877756.png

Source: https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1012070

It shouldn't be a surprise that it takes a bit of extra time as it does extra stuff :)

So I installed Skynet last night, and reactivated aiprotect, all good. Then I ran a dslreport and I noticed my rating had gone from A+ A A+ to A B A. As I have not used skynet before, I assumed it was this. So I temporarily disabled skynet. Ran the test again. Still the same. I then tried again without AIProtect on and skynet back on , back to A+ A A+.

Conclusion, AIProtect increases bufferbloat and slightly reduces speed/quality on dslreports.

Question:

Is this normal?

know one seems or wants to address bufferbloat so sad