What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

beboptrumpet

Regular Contributor
Sorry for the repost...I accidentally posted it in the wrong forum & have yet to get a reply.

I'm running an Asus RT-AC87, running 380.68 alpha2 but I don't think this is a hardware issue

AiProtection - Trend Micro Malicious Site Protection breaks the TiVo iOS app.

I have a TiVo Roamio Pro --same as the regular box but with:
-3TB hard drive
-built in Actiontech MoCa 1.1 for distributing to the TiVo Mini's
-6 tuners
-TiVo Stream -- stream or download video both in and out of home

The TiVo iOS app lets you download or stream content, look at the guide, set recordings & remotely control TiVo Boxes throughout the home. Most of the content is coming from the TiVo Servers--TiVo boxes regularly connect to The TiVo servers to update their database. So, when you are looking at the guide or even the recordings, that information is coming from the servers. However, downloading and streaming videos comes from the local TiVo box.

Here's what seems odd to me:
-TiVo iOS app worked perfectly with Trend Micro Malicious Site Protection enabled until approxamently 6 months ago
-It worked when I did a factory reset and updated to 380.68 Alpha--Hardware Acceleration (both CTF and FA) where active when it was working
-TiVo android app functions perfectly regardless of if this feature is enabled,
-Turning off Hardware Acceleration (CTF) also fixes this issue. I lose tivo iOS connection to my main TiVo box every now and then, but it is still somewhat functional.
-I've looked at the connections the TiVo is making and run WhoIs on the ip's--the servers it is trying to connect to are legit

With Trend Micro Malicious Site Protection enabled, the app:
-is completely broken
-constantly loses connection
-locks up my TiVo box --my TiVo box actually power cycles-especially if I try to stream a video

Who do I need to contact to get this fixed? Trend Micro? Asus?
Has anyone had a good experience in getting a trend micro issue fixed?

-Any idea on why disabling hardware acceleration also mostly fixes this?

How to fix if you are having this issue:
-Ai Protection - turn off Trend Micro Malicious Site Protection (im going with this for now)
Or
-turn off Hardware Acceleration
-ask Asus/Trend Micro to fix this Issue

Last edited:
I have a Tivo system with a six tunner Roamio and three Tivo minis.

I have the Tivo app on my Iphone.

My Internet facing router is an ASUS AC1900P runing Merlin v66.

I have AIprotection enabled.

I do not have hardware acceleration enabled.

I just tested using the Iphone app connected to my Tivo using T-Mobil LTE data andI had no problems with the Roamio crashing or viewing my Tivio, setting up recordings, etc.

I did not receive any warnings from AIprotection, in other words everything worked fine during my brief test.

I seldom use the Tivo app so perhaps I missed something. I know this doesn't help you, but perhaps the problem is with your network settings and not the AIprotection.

I have a Tivo system with a six tunner Roamio and three Tivo minis.

I have the Tivo app on my Iphone.

My Internet facing router is an ASUS AC1900P runing Merlin v66.

I have AIprotection enabled.

I do not have hardware acceleration enabled.

I just tested using the Iphone app connected to my Tivo using T-Mobil LTE data andI had no problems with the Roamio crashing or viewing my Tivio, setting up recordings, etc.

I did not receive any warnings from AIprotection, in other words everything worked fine during my brief test.

I seldom use the Tivo app so perhaps I missed something. I know this doesn't help you, but perhaps the problem is with your network settings and not the AIprotection.

Thanks for your reply.

I thought the notifications where only for infected devices. Upon further examination, I see that it sends notifications for all 3 Trend Micro AI Protection features. I've been getting emails saying an"less secure app is trying to log into my google account." That explains why I've ever received any of these notifications for the past few months & it explains those less secure app notifications,

I actually forgot to type in my information for alerts after I updated to 380.62 alpha 2 last week. I didn't want to make my email less secure, so I made a new google account just for this feature. I'm going to enable the feature again to see what I get. Hopefully it has some kind of link or way to notify them that legitiment traffic is being blocked.

As I noted above, disabling hardware acceleration also fixes the issue....it is the combination of CTF hardware acceleration and Trend Micro Malicious Site prevention from the AI Protection Menu.

It was working perfectly last night. Now im having issues again. I'm doing a factory reset so I can test to make sure I have the root cause down.

I could turn on Malicious Site Protection..,,it would break
Turn it off--iOS app worked beautifully.

I did a factory reset just to make sure it wasn't another combination of settings,
Leaving everything else at factory setting and turning this on breaks the TiVo iOS app. I'm going to contact tivo to see if they have any input

I did a factory reset just to make sure it wasn't another combination of settings,
Leaving everything else at factory setting and turning this on breaks the TiVo iOS app. I'm going to contact tivo to see if they have any input
I'd post to asus get trend to white list it.