What's new

AiMesh 2.0: Does a bound client fallback to another node if assigned node not available?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snovvman

Occasional Visitor
As the subject says--if I have some clients bound to a node within the AiMesh, if that node becomes unavailable, are those clients allowed to connect to another node?

Related question: Once the assigned node becomes available again, will the client be made to disconnect to the other node so that it can reconnect to the assigned node?

Thanks.

It moves the clients to the closest/strongest AP and in AiMesh UI you'll see yellow dots, as far as I remember. When the node is up again, they may eventually move back over time. I did some extensive AiMesh experiments few months ago, but I don't have an AiMesh running at the moment.

It moves the clients to the closest/strongest AP and in AiMesh UI you'll see yellow dots, as far as I remember. When the node is up again, they may eventually move back over time. I did some extensive AiMesh experiments few months ago, but I don't have an AiMesh running at the moment.

Thank you. My experience is that AiMesh is not good at directing STAs to the strongest node. With two nodes on opposite ends of the house, devices will connect to the opposite nodes rather than the closer one with better signal. Only when I reboot the STA that it connects to the closer node. I am also seeing that some STAs do not like being bound. They keep disconnecting or will simply refuse to connect.

My experience is that AiMesh is not good at directing STAs to the strongest node.

AiMesh is a marketing name of wireless repeaters or wired access points with limited central management. It can't direct anything.

With two nodes on opposite ends of the house, devices will connect to the opposite nodes

That means your nodes are too close to each other. You have to separate them to at least -65dBm or better use one centrally located router.

AiMesh is a marketing name of wireless repeaters or wired access points with limited central management. It can't direct anything.

I believe it. What you wrote is consistent with my observation. I also have a Linksys Velop system. Though it is very limited in terms of configuration, especially when in AP mode, STAs seem to move from node to node much more smoothly. I like Asus' config offerings and was hoping that AiMesh provides a good means to have a mesh setup while having access to lots of config options.

That means your nodes are too close to each other. You have to separate them to at least -65dBm or better use one centrally located router.

Based on what I can measure, they are well beyond -65dBm (~75-80) apart, though there are STAs that will connect and hold on at -70 or more. My observation is that the STAs will connect to the first device they see, usually the root node because it comes up first. Once connected, the STA tends to stay with the node even if the signal is not optimal. Rebooting the STA will fix it, but not an ideal solution. Also, my understanding is that it's up to the STA and its "roaming aggressiveness" to find a better node.

This brings up a question--is the general idea of a mesh system simply based on signal strength? In other words, in combination with how the STA's roaming aggressiveness behaves and the signal strength of the nodes, the STA moves from one node to another? I presume that one node can disconnect a STA and force it to look for a better node, but is that still under the definition of mesh, where it's a seamless transition?

Thanks again.

Also, my understanding is that it's up to the STA and its "roaming aggressiveness" to find a better node.

Correct. Some clients tend to hold until the signal is useable. Apple devices, for example. Asuswrt Roaming Assistant doesn't work well.

I presume that one node can disconnect a STA and force it to look for a better node, but is that still under the definition of mesh, where it's a seamless transition?

AP's may offer roaming assist technologies like 802.11k/v/r, network controllers may play a role. Some multi-AP systems do it better than others, AiMesh is mostly client decision. There is no difference in roaming between AiMesh and Router + AP configuration. My Ruckus AP's at home do it better and faster, my Cisco AP's in business places do it better and faster, Omada network is also much better. The price point of this equipment is much different though.