What's new

AiMesh - 2nd node recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HeadBanger

Regular Contributor
I’m currently running an AX88U with one wired node AC68U and AiMesh works really well.

I’d like to extend coverage to our garage and garden by adding another node on WiFi (I cannot wire it) which will connect to my current node (AC68U). Main duties will be some IP CCTV cameras, an internet radio and ad-hoc mobile device connections.

What would be best ASUS model to add for best range and stability? Should I swap the current wired AC68U with a newer model and re-use the AC68U as my second wireless node in the garage?

Any advice and recommendations greatfully received.

TIA

HB

I’m currently running an AX88U with one wired node AC68U and AiMesh works really well.

I’d like to extend coverage to our garage and garden by adding another node on WiFi (I cannot wire it) which will connect to my current node (AC68U). Main duties will be some IP CCTV cameras, an internet radio and ad-hoc mobile device connections.

What would be best ASUS model to add for best range and stability? Should I swap the current wired AC68U with a newer model and re-use the AC68U as my second wireless node in the garage?

Any advice and recommendations greatfully received.

TIA

HB

The wireless backhaul range will be a function of both ends... so the existing AC68U will likely be the lowest common denominator.

Yes, I would push the AC68U to the garage, unless you can argue for putting the new node at the end of the chain for stronger coverage for its perimeter clients.

Consider the AC86U or AX86U. The AX86U may deserve to become the AiMesh router/root node. Downscale would be the AC66U_B1 or another AC68U... neither supports Smart Connect (using same SSIDs per band)... for a bit more, I'd stay with the AC86U or above. The AC86U has about 20% more effective WiFi range than the AC68U.

OE

The wireless backhaul range will be a function of both ends... so the existing AC68U will likely be the lowest common denominator.

Yes, I would push the AC68U to the garage, unless you can argue for putting the new node at the end of the chain for stronger coverage for its perimeter clients.

Consider the AC86U or AX86U. The AX86U may deserve to become the AiMesh router/root node. Downscale would be the AC66U_B1 or another AC68U... neither supports Smart Connect (using same SSIDs per band)... for a bit more, I'd stay with the AC86U or above. The AC86U has about 20% more effective WiFi range than the AC68U.

OE
Many thanks OE.

I think I’ll move the AC68U to our garage then and add a newer model as the 1st wired node.

The AX86U is currently about £70 more than the AC86U in the UK. Added AX performance aside, do you think it’s worth spending the extra?

Thanks,
HB

Many thanks OE.

I think I’ll move the AC68U to our garage then and add a newer model as the 1st wired node.

The AX86U is currently about £70 more than the AC86U in the UK. Added AX performance aside, do you think it’s worth spending the extra?

Thanks,
HB

That may depend on your goals and wallet. I would buy the AC86U because I'm not moving on to AX until WiFi 6e or later and when I can use AX for a dedicated wireless backhaul. Even then, my network usage probably won't need AX.

However, given your wired backhaul, a 2xRT-AX86U wired AiMesh with a 2.5 Gigabit full-duplex Ethernet backhaul would probably entice me to buy the AX86Us.

If you have AX clients in the house, you may want to maintain AX on the two house nodes. On the other hand, if you have found using AX on the 5.0 band to be of-little-added-value/a complication in a AX-AC environment, then you might choose to skip it. I have not used AX so I can't add much more to this consideration.

OE

Since the only wireless AiMesh connection will be between the wired AiMesh node (the new one) and your current RT-AC68U (i.e. AC class Wi-Fi connections only), there are a few things to consider.

If you're also planning to buy a third router soon-ish, and are expecting to keep this AX class wireless network for as long as possible, then an RT-AX86U, an RT-AX58U, or another RT-AX88U would be the way to go today, with the RT-AX86U well worth the small cost over the RT-AX58U, particularly if the third AX router will be another 'AX86U (wired via 2.5GbE backhaul) and of course the RT-AX88U put into wireless AiMesh node duties.

If you're not planning to buy a third router for this network, then an RT-AC66U_B1 will be a better match for the wireless capabilities of the RT-AC68U.

Another possibility is to just buy an RT-AX86U or an RT-AX88U (whichever is least expensive and/or on sale) and re-locate both the main router and the wireless router so that all the important areas are covered (they are that powerful).

With the money saved from having to buy a third router, save up to pay for an Ethernet run between them and make it a wired AiMesh node for even more performance than 3 routers (one wireless) would give you too.

Give us updates on your progress and your thought process. :)

Many thanks OE.

Thanks,
HB

I returned my ac86u and went with an ax58u and couldn't be happier. much more stable and better 2.4ghz range. But If you are only going to use 5ghz and don't care about ax maybe the ac86u would be better for you.

Last edited:
Many thanks everyone.

Unfortunately, I cannot wire the second node unless I dig up the garden and drive to lay a cable. I did try homeplugs but they do not work as the electric is on a separate ring.

I was leaning towards the AX-86U as the first wired node and my old AC-68U as the second wireless node. Or would I be noticeably better off getting rid of the AC-68U completely and perhaps adding an AX-58U as the second wireless node instead?
I'd rather do it right now rather than have buyer's regret in a year.

Thanks,

HB

Did you see post 5? :)

Did you see post 5? :)

in other words go with the ax58u instead of ac68u for the long term support and stability in the long run.

but imo i'm not sure you would notice much of anything especially in only one year. but 2 or 3 years? who knows how long asus will support the ac68u. Being its their most popular and deployed router and still for most peoples budget I would think for years to come. but who knows. But like ozark said if you want to use smart connect ac68u would not be an option, or maybe if you really need that extra wireless range the ax58u has over the ac68u.

No, in other words, let the OP decide for himself what his plan is and take steps to get there accordingly. ;)

So what were you referring to w
No, in other words, let the OP decide for himself what his plan is and take steps to get there accordingly. ;)

SO what were you referring to when you told him to read your post #5? You had no suggestion? He was asking a question.

Answered it for him. Not too worried if you can't follow the thread. :)

Of course I did. I'm sure he will get it, even if you don't. ;)

Thanks L&LD and couloutac.

I have read all of the replies :). Sorry for seeming like I hadn’t and/or repeating my questions - rereading the thread I can see why it seems so!

I have now ordered an AX-86U to replace my AC-68U as the wired node and am now thinking just to go the whole hog and also order an AX-something as the second wireless node in my garage and retire the AC-68U. Done - forget about it for a few years!

HB

So I've just received the AX-86U and set it up as a wired node (as a replacement of the AC-68U). I reset the 68U and set it up as a wireless node but when I switch it on in the garage it is reported as being offline and I cannot get it to connect. My garage SB Radio used to get a 2.4GHz WiFi signal of around 70% from my AC-68U as a node in the house but reports only 50% with the AX-86U as the 1st node. My WiFi channels are fixed - no changes during this set up. I know it's only the 2.4Ghz band but I was expecting it to be at least as strong.

I set reset the AC-68U and configured this in close proximity to my main router AX-88U. Should I have configured it close to the AX-86U so it connected to the 1st node or does this not matter?

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot please?

Thanks,

HB

So I've just received the AX-86U and set it up as a wired node (as a replacement of the AC-68U). I reset the 68U and set it up as a wireless node but when I switch it on in the garage it is reported as being offline and I cannot get it to connect. My garage SB Radio used to get a 2.4GHz WiFi signal of around 70% from my AC-68U as a node in the house but reports only 50% with the AX-86U as the 1st node. My WiFi channels are fixed - no changes during this set up. I know it's only the 2.4Ghz band but I was expecting it to be at least as strong.

I set reset the AC-68U and configured this in close proximity to my main router AX-88U. Should I have configured it close to the AX-86U so it connected to the 1st node or does this not matter?

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot please?

Thanks,

HB

Given your existing AX88U AC68U AiMesh, you would upload current firmware to the new AX86U, reset it, and add it as a remote node from the AX88U webUI. Then power OFF, place the nodes, and power ON.

Did you remove the AC68U node from the AX88U webUI before resetting the AC68U?

What firmware version are you running?

Are you observing node signals/bands with a WiFi Analyzer app to know your nodes are broadcasting properly?

You don't configure nodes... you just add them to the AiMesh from the root node webUI. And they can typically be deployed already at distance.

You sound a little unsure, so I would step back and decide what you should do or redo, starting with what firmware to use on each node.

OE

Hi OE,

I’m running Merlin 386.1 beta 2 on all. I removed the AC-68U as a wired node from the mesh in the AX-88U GUI, I then reset it and then added it back as a new wireless node. It connected in the house but it refuses to connect from the garage - my AX-88U reported it as being offline.

I rebooted everything but the AC-68U now does not even show in the AiMesh menu.

Perhaps I’ve got it too far away for AiMesh to allow it to reliably connect? I’ll try setting the AC-68U up in repeater mode tomorrow instead.

Thanks,

HB

Last edited:
I brought the AC-68U indoors again - removed from mesh, reset and added again.

I hadn’t noticed last time but it reported connection was poor. I ran the optimisation tool and it then reported connection as great once completed.

Even better news - it now connects once situated in the garage and still reports great connection.:)

HB