What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elrengo

Regular Contributor
Hi! I've two Asus Routers: RT-AC3100 & RT-AC66U_B1. Both with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. These are wire connected with AiMesh config.

The AC3100 is configure as AiMesh Router, connected to my Internet Provider Cable-modem, have attached a WD USB3 1TB HDD where is installed Entware some tools and ruTorrent to be used as seed-box.

The AC66U_B1 is located in the Living-room, connected with it is my Smart-TV, PS3 and my media center: WD HD TV Live. The wire connections is perfect for the media streaming. Also extend my wireless connection.

I've a good pro with AiMesh configuration that the administration and configuration is minimal and my AiMesh node receive all the configuration do it on my AiMesh Router (AC3100).

The bad point is a lot de configuration is lost and can not do it. Samba sharing do not work and maybe some point will be lost. The centralization of the configuration will be only for extend the network.

I've not a good networking knowledge, I required assist from you. I required to recover the samba configuration and DLNA and maybe other custom configuration. I would like to know how I must configure my AC66U_B1 to extend my DCHP configuration from AC3100, I know that will be more easy do not turn on the DHCP server, but i need to that will be other configuration than router must be used. I required to be continue have the same network and the same Wireless Network and SSID. Both devices continues with wired connection.

Thanks.

elrengo.

Sorry for the insistence, but what should be the configuration to replace AiMesh?

Sorry for the insistence, but what should be the configuration to replace AiMesh?
buying a mesh network kit. or just using everything as accesspoints. the point of aimesh was asus attempt to fine tune things for you. When you use asus routers an access point, you have to fine tune yourself.

buying a mesh network kit. or just using everything as accesspoints. the point of aimesh was asus attempt to fine tune things for you. When you use asus routers an access point, you have to fine tune yourself.

Thanks for the answer. What are you indicating to me with buying a mesh kit? I have 2 routers even configured as AiMesh but I lost some configuration.

If the second router is configure as Access Point is possible to use it as witch in wired connection and share the same SSID for the Wireless connection? How I need to configure to the client move from one router to another?

Thanks!

Thanks for the answer. What are you indicating to me with buying a mesh kit? I have 2 routers even configured as AiMesh but I lost some configuration.

If the second router is configure as Access Point is possible to use it as witch in wired connection and share the same SSID for the Wireless connection? How I need to configure to the client move from one router to another?

Thanks!
You can use same network names on access point as the main router.
you can turn on a feature called roaming assistant, put each wireless radio on the same channel, name Each SSID the same SSID-name. in principle, this should allow you to "Roam" like Aimesh if there is a reasonable amount of network overlap. otherwise you have to spend time fine tuning your wireless signal strengths and name each network a different SSID, and you have to set them to non overlapping channels.

I've not a good networking knowledge, I required assist from you. I required to recover the samba configuration and DLNA and maybe other custom configuration. I would like to know how I must configure my AC66U_B1 to extend my DCHP configuration from AC3100, I know that will be more easy do not turn on the DHCP server, but i need to that will be other configuration than router must be used. I required to be continue have the same network and the same Wireless Network and SSID. Both devices continues with wired connection.

Does anyone understand what the OP wants to accomplish here?

The AC3100 router has the network DHCP server doing its thing... what does "extend DHCP configuration from AC3100" mean?

OE

Does anyone understand what the OP wants to accomplish here?

The AC3100 router has the network DHCP server doing its thing... what does "extend DHCP configuration from AC3100" mean?

OE

I'm looking for a similar team working of both routers with AiMesh configuration but doing for my side to don´t loose the smb & DLNA sharing for example.

DHCP is easy, only need shutdown the DCHP service in my second router and continue using the DHCP from my AC3100 Router.

I know that the router have more than one configuration, if is uses as router do a NAT from my network and all the devices connected to my secondary router is not access by devices connected to my second router.

As easy configuration Asuswrt-merlin firmware allow the following configuration:

• Wireless router mode / AiMesh Router mode (Default)
  • Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode
  • Repeater mode
  • Media Bridge
  • AiMesh Node
To use it as node to exten my Wireless and my wired networkd I need to select AccessPoint, Repeater or Medias bridge. After that sure I require some configuration to share the same SSID.
I hope to be more cleary now.
Thanks!

To use it as node to exten my Wireless and my wired networkd I need to select AccessPoint, Repeater or Medias bridge. After that sure I require some configuration to share the same SSID.

For AiMesh, you only configure the router/root node, and then from it, add other routers as remote nodes. You do not configure remote nodes... they must be in a factory default reset state before adding them to the AiMesh from within the router/root node webUI.

AiMesh FAQs

OE

For AiMesh, you only configure the router/root node, and then from it, add other routers as remote nodes. You do not configure remote nodes... they must be in a factory default reset state before adding them to the AiMesh from within the router/root node webUI.

AiMesh FAQs

OE
He is wanting to know how he can achieve similar goal using the extending router as a "AccessPoint, Repeater or Medias bridge". I hope this helps. He is looking for an alternative to aimesh, but wants to know how to set routers up to as "AccessPoint, Repeater or Medias bridge" to achieve similar functionality?

AiMesh FAQs

OE

Thanks for answer, actually I've configured AiMesh between two routers. AiMesh is not good for me because I lose some features for example sharing HDD connected to USB ports where is no possible to configure samba and DLNA to share in the network.

He is wanting to know how he can achieve similar goal using the extending router as a "AccessPoint, Repeater or Medias bridge". I hope this helps. He is looking for an alternative to aimesh, but wants to know how to set routers up to as "AccessPoint, Repeater or Medias bridge" to achieve similar functionality?

YES!! I'm looking for a similar behavior for the second router as AiMesh node but no losing all administration of that router.

In that searching I know that the router has more that one operation mode: Access Point, Repeater or Medias Bridge. Witch of them I need to set to start that king of behavior (AiMesh node)for the second router without using AiMesh.

AiMesh is not good for me because I lose some features for example sharing HDD connected to USB ports where is no possible to configure samba and DLNA to share in the network.

Do you mean that you want to connect the USB HDD to an AiMesh node, not the AiMesh router?

OE

Do you mean that you want to connect the USB HDD to an AiMesh node, not the AiMesh router?

OE

On AC3100 I've two hdd connected. The first one is a WD USB3 1TB where is installed Entware and ruTorrent to be used as seed-box. In the USB2 port is connected a old HDD of 40GB to be use as filesystem for logs.

On AC66U_B1 I connect two HDD with video media to shared, one with Series and other with movies. Using AiMesh with original firmware is not allowed access using samba sharing. Admin o my user is no valid to access. I upgrade the firmware to asuswrt-merlin but now is not enable samba and DLNA. I change the samba.conf add my user but nothing works for that I would like to use the router without AiMesh configuration.

I would like to use the router without AiMesh configuration.

So try it as shown on the router Administration/Operation Mode tab. An AP must be wired. A Media Bridge must be wireless with only wired clients. I haven't used either mode.

OE

So try it as shown on the router Administration/Operation Mode tab. An AP must be wired. A Media Bridge must be wireless with only wired clients. I haven't used either mode.

OE
Thanks! I have wired connection between both routers. LAN1 from AC3100 to WAN on AC66U_B1.

Thanks! I have wired connection between both routers. LAN1 from AC3100 to WAN on AC66U_B1.

So put the wired AC66U in AP mode and see what you can make it do.

Note that a guest WLAN on the AP will not be properly isolated from the LAN, so I'd skip that.

OE

So put the wired AC66U in AP mode and see what you can make it do.

Note that a guest WLAN on the AP will not be properly isolated from the LAN, so I'd skip that.

OE
Thanks!!! I did it and works fine! :) Thanks for the tip but I do not use guest wlan. I have all administration and full access to all my shares :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!