AiMesh and Roomba

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

toaruScar

Regular Contributor
I’m currently looking into buying a Roomba s9+. And discovered that Roomba might not be able to roam between APs. I read that multiple customers have complained about Roomba disconnecting from AmpliFi router’s mesh WiFi, but not much regarding AiMesh. I don’t think one AP can cover the entire floor in my case so a Roomba needs to be handed over to another AP during a vacuum session.
Can anyone share about their experience of using a Roomba that connects to an AiMesh WiFi?

macshome

New Around Here
Unless you want to monitor the Roomba via Wi-Fi while it is working it doesn't need to be connected all the time. The SLAM it does to navigate is all internal.

We have an i7+ and it might drop out of contact in a far corner of the house, but it doesn't update job details until it gets back to base anyway.

toaruScar

Regular Contributor
[...]We have an i7+ and it might drop out of contact in a far corner of the house[...]
Does the far corner have any Wi-Fi coverage in the first place? That is also to ask, does i7+ drop because it cannot roam between APs, or because there's just no Wi-Fi?

If it drops simply because there's no Wi-Fi, I'd still like to know if a Roomba can roam between APs.

macshome

New Around Here
I'll run a test and see if it roams to another access point. I've never paid attention as it doesn't really have much impact on the cleaning.

I'll let you know what I find.

macshome

New Around Here
Alright. I put Roomba at one end of the house and told him to clean a room at the other end.

He started out connected to my AiMesh node near his starting point and headed out to come to the office.
Once into the office at the other end of the house he roamed to the AIMesh router that is in that room.

Robot hardware: i7+
Robot software: 3.12.8

Router hardware: AC-86U
Router software: Merlin 386.1 release

Chicken scratch note from my iPad of the basic layout of APs and where Roomba started and finished.
House Map.jpg