What's new

AiMesh and Smart Connect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

helloguys

Occasional Visitor
I searched but couldn't get a definite answer.

Smart Connect (band steering) is not supported on older models such as RT-AC68U. What if we use a newer model as AiMesh router and enable Smart Connect, then use older model as AiMesh node? For instance, use RT-AC86U as AiMesh router (with Smart Connect enabled) and RT-AC68U as AiMesh node.

I'm only seeing one SSID in the above setup. But I'm not technical enough to tell if it's 2.4GHz, 5GHz, or both. Anyone has any idea? Thanks!

I searched but couldn't get a definite answer.

Smart Connect (band steering) is not supported on older models such as RT-AC68U. What if we use a newer model as AiMesh router and enable Smart Connect, then use older model as AiMesh node? For instance, use RT-AC86U as AiMesh router (with Smart Connect enabled) and RT-AC68U as AiMesh node.

I'm only seeing one SSID in the above setup. But I'm not technical enough to tell if it's 2.4GHz, 5GHz, or both. Anyone has any idea? Thanks!

With no Smart Connect operating on the AC68U node hardware, it remains for your clients to decide which 'same SSID/band' to connect to... are they connecting quickly to the preferred band? If not, then Smart Connect node hardware might help.

OE

I used an AC68U for few years as node. When roaming from router 5GHz to node, I never encountered client to roam to 2.4GHz. Most of the clients that are roaming are new'ish devices so that may be one reason.
As OE is saying, if you must have the clients on 5GHz, you should consider a model supporting Smart Connect. But first try your setup for few weeks, if you find something wrong (like clients end up roaming to 2.4 so low speeds and all), consider buying a newer model.

Regarding your question: an Wifi analyzer will help you understand if an SSID is broadcasted over 2.4GHz only, or on 5GHz only, or both. Strongly recommend WifiAnalyzer by Vrem for Android. I don't know if they make one for Apple.

For Windows 10 Acrylic WiFi Home (Free) is a useful application and if you want take things a step further, checkout WinFi Lite (Free) by Helge Keck. I prefer the latter, but it has way more options, so it might take a bit find you way around it. It'll give you lots of info about your WiFi access points. Make sure you use a dual band WiFi adapter to view both bands and their details.

I have thought about this for a while but haven't tested it, yet. With AC66U_B1 root and AC68U nodes i had to use band specific SSIDs. Am replacing the root router with an AC86U and plan to use band specific SSIDs. Time permitting I will try SmartConnect on the AC86U and see what the AC68U nodes do. Should have an answer by Friday.