What's new

AIMESH Backhaul over Ethernet Issue - Firmware 3.0.0.4.384.21140

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MichaelMK

Occasional Visitor
I've been using AIMESH for months now and haven't had an issue with the ethernet backhaul until I upgraded to this latest release. I have a 68P as the main router, and 2 68U nodes. All are connected with ethernet, and backhaul has always worked. I reset each router (by holding the small reset button on the back for 10 seconds) after the firmware upgrade, and re-connected the mesh network. Unfortunately the ethernet backhaul is not clicking in. The lights on the main router are not lighting up where the ethernet cables are plugged in, and the web GUI shows each node using Wireless. I have them connected to LAN on the main router to WAN on the nodes. I've turned all the routers off and on several times and still no ethernet. I also updated the Connection Priority to ethernet for each node. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Thanks in advance, much appreciated!

Last edited:
try first connecting via wireless and after connected plug in ethernet and change to it, make a initialize on all 3 units and try from scratch again.
Make reset with pressing WPS button while power on and 20s longer pressing it.

"The lights on the main router are not lighting up where the ethernet cables are plugged in".

That bothers me since it has nothing to do with backhaul. It just means something is detected as being plugged-in (assuming a complete end-to-end connection and devices are on).
Do you get any LAN lights lit when you plug in a wired client? You might have a bad router or bad flash.

Last edited:
"The lights on the main router are not lighting up where the ethernet cables are plugged in".

That bothers me since it has nothing to do with backhaul. It just means something is detected as being plugged-in (assuming a complete end-to-end connection and devices are on).
Do you get any LAN lights lit when you plug in a wired client? You might have a bad router or bad flash.
Hi Ronald,
The ethernet ports work for other devices that I have plugged into it. I even switched the connection to the two ports that were working for other devices. It's almost as if the nodes aren't testing for an ethernet connection.

To clear the VRAM is it the small reset button plus the WPS button? I can try setting it all up again from scratch to see if that was the issue.

Thanks all

no only press WPS while power on and some time longer till slow blinking LED.

Hi Ronald,
The ethernet ports work for other devices that I have plugged into it. I even switched the connection to the two ports that were working for other devices. It's almost as if the nodes aren't testing for an ethernet connection.

To clear the VRAM is it the small reset button plus the WPS button? I can try setting it all up again from scratch to see if that was the issue.

Thanks all

Just finished doing a full vram reset and reconfiguring the router and nodes. Both of my nodes are still showing as wireless instead of backhaul. Is anyone else having this issue? I remember in the first aimesh versions there was a bug where it showed the status as wireless even though it was wired. Seems like maybe there's a similar bug in this release?

Just finished doing a full vram reset and reconfiguring the router and nodes. Both of my nodes are still showing as wireless instead of backhaul. Is anyone else having this issue? I remember in the first aimesh versions there was a bug where it showed the status as wireless even though it was wired. Seems like maybe there's a similar bug in this release?
MichaelMK,

I have a similar issue, not sure if it is the same issue.

My configuration is shown in my signature below with Ethernet Backhaul. This has been working for a long time after I changed to a newer gigabit switch during the early AiMesh Beta testing last year.

I was away from home for a week, when I got back I discover speed has reduced by half at my AiMesh Nodes. That is where I discovered that the Backhaul was automatically switched to “Wireless” instead of “Ethernet”

I have since done a factory reset on all my routers … it seems to behave itself so far, I am monitoring it to see if this issue repeats itself before I report the issue. Since you asked, it prompted me to post.

PS: I assume that you have not introduce old switches between your AiMesh Router and AiMesh Node that is not compatible with how AiMesh works :)

Hi LimJK,
Thanks for the response. Correct, there isn't any other networking hardware between my router and the nodes. Even after vram reset my ethernet backhaul isn't kicking in. It's the oddest thing.

Hi LimJK,
Thanks for the response. Correct, there isn't any other networking hardware between my router and the nodes. Even after vram reset my ethernet backhaul isn't kicking in. It's the oddest thing.
MichaelMK,
Good, that you have direct connection ...
  • Have you tried setting the Backhaul Connection Priority to "Ethernet"?
    • I think it should stay "Wired" ... at least it works for me :)
    • I am current setting it as "Auto" ... monitoring if it changes from "Wired" to "Wireless"
  • Are your Ethernet cable/Connectors OK?
    • Once, I got a bad cable/connector that gave me intermittent connection; I have since changed all my cable to newer CAT 6 or CAT 7. I need that as I have a gigabit fibre connection to my ISP.
  • Oh another thought, I tried as far as I can to leave all the NVRAM settings as default especially for Wireless Settings
    • I change them only if I have good reason to do it, and I normally validate that they work without side effects for each successive Firmware update.
    • I have a habit to do a Factory Reset for each new Firmware update
Hope you get your issue resolve.

I've been using AIMESH for months now and haven't had an issue with the ethernet backhaul until I upgraded to this latest release. I have a 68P as the main router, and 2 68U nodes. All are connected with ethernet, and backhaul has always worked. I reset each router (by holding the small reset button on the back for 10 seconds) after the firmware upgrade, and re-connected the mesh network. Unfortunately the ethernet backhaul is not clicking in. The lights on the main router are not lighting up where the ethernet cables are plugged in, and the web GUI shows each node using Wireless. I have them connected to LAN on the main router to WAN on the nodes. I've turned all the routers off and on several times and still no ethernet. I also updated the Connection Priority to ethernet for each node. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Thanks in advance, much appreciated!

Can you send feedback by feedback function ?

@arthurlien , When I try to use the FEEDBACK function it ends in an endless loop. It never sends it actually.
See my signature for my setup.
What can I do to make the feedback work?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!