What's new

AiMesh can't find node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jeffll

New Around Here
I have three RT-AC88U routers. One I have setup in AP mode on my own network (since Google Fiber requires using their own router). Another I have setup as the router at my parents' home. The third I just bought to add as an AiMesh node to my parents' network (so as to extend the Wi-Fi coverage out by their pool).

I live in a different state, so I had the new router shipped to my home, where I set it up and tested the AiMesh setup process on my own network. It worked great. The process was quick and easy. I reset the node by disconnecting it from my router in the settings. I performed a final search to find the node again, but didn't add it, just to be certain it was still setup in the right mode to make it easy to find, so the process would be as smooth as possible to set it up remotely with my Dad.

But then when my Dad hooked it up at his house, I performed the search from his router and it won't find the AiMesh node router! I went through the trouble of factory resetting both routers again, even swapping them, setting up the new router as the router and the old router as the AiMesh node. Neither will find the other! I even put the router in AP mode, like I have mine in, and it wouldn't find it still.

All three routers are running the same latest firmware version, 3.0.0.4.384_20379.

I contacted ASUS support, and they escalated to their engineers, who have yet to get back to me.

Any tips on what I could try next to get this working?

I have three RT-AC88U routers. One I have setup in AP mode on my own network (since Google Fiber requires using their own router). Another I have setup as the router at my parents' home. The third I just bought to add as an AiMesh node to my parents' network (so as to extend the Wi-Fi coverage out by their pool).

I live in a different state, so I had the new router shipped to my home, where I set it up and tested the AiMesh setup process on my own network. It worked great. The process was quick and easy. I reset the node by disconnecting it from my router in the settings. I performed a final search to find the node again, but didn't add it, just to be certain it was still setup in the right mode to make it easy to find, so the process would be as smooth as possible to set it up remotely with my Dad.

But then when my Dad hooked it up at his house, I performed the search from his router and it won't find the AiMesh node router! I went through the trouble of factory resetting both routers again, even swapping them, setting up the new router as the router and the old router as the AiMesh node. Neither will find the other! I even put the router in AP mode, like I have mine in, and it wouldn't find it still.

All three routers are running the same latest firmware version, 3.0.0.4.384_20379.

I contacted ASUS support, and they escalated to their engineers, who have yet to get back to me.

Did you try the "initialize" button from the web gui rather than factory reset? It has worked for me before when I have had similar problems. Other people have said that holding down the WPS button while powering on the router until the LED's flash and then releasing the WPS button is also an option for a router reset. The link below may be of some interest.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...-supported-products.44375/page-14#post-381537

Last edited:

>>I reset the node by disconnecting it from my router in the settings. I performed a final search to find the node again, but didn't add it, just to be certain it was still setup in the right mode to make it easy to find, so the process would be as smooth as possible to set it up remotely with my Dad.

I'm not sure disconnecting the node qualifies as resetting it. So, you may have shipped a router to Dad that was not at factory default reset... not ready to add to his AiMesh.

>>But then when my Dad hooked it up at his house, I performed the search from his router and it won't find the AiMesh node router! I went through the trouble of factory resetting both routers again, even swapping them, setting up the new router as the router and the old router as the AiMesh node. Neither will find the other! I even put the router in AP mode, like I have mine in, and it wouldn't find it still.

So you did this remotely or walked Dad through it?

It might be worth the trouble to try again... step through the whole setup and be sure to initialize each router first from the GUI (and watch the LEDs to know that the router is doing the reset).

Another (dumb?) idea might be to ship the node back to you, setup AiMesh with your 88U as before, and then ship both 88Us to Dad. If it works for him, he can ship you his router to use as your AP... and you may never have to consider why it may not work with AiMesh.

OE

similar to my experience , I was using AC88U and main and a AC66-B1 as the node and was working pretty much ok (having to reboot occasionally when main nodecpu hit 100% usually after being up for a couple of weeks) , after firmware upgrade to AC66U and factory reset with disconnecting the node from the main router , I have been unable to get it to reconnect , have done all permutations of reset on both routers i.e via web initialize , press wps/reset button. currently running as AP waiting on a new AC88U firmware then will try again ,

Post if you get something from support. Would be interested to know if anyone else has "removed a node " and managed to successfully re-add.

Did you try the "initialize" button from the web gui rather than factory reset? It has worked for me before when I have had similar problems. Other people have said that holding down the WPS button while powering on the router until the LED's flash and then releasing the WPS button is also an option for a router reset. The link below may be of some interest.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...-supported-products.44375/page-14#post-381537

Thanks for info and suggestions.

>>I'm not sure disconnecting the node qualifies as resetting it. So, you may have shipped a router to Dad that was not at factory default reset... not ready to add to his AiMesh.

Disconnecting the node says it will reset the device and after resetting the node, my router was able to find it again in the search. I just didn't connect it again.

>>So you did this remotely or walked Dad through it?

I performed everything I was able while remoting into a computer on the network we were working on. Anything manual or getting the router reconnected to the internet after a reset I walked my dad through.

>>It might be worth the trouble to try again... step through the whole setup and be sure to initialize each router first from the GUI (and watch the LEDs to know that the router is doing the reset).

My dad actually travels weekly between my state and his. So I had him bring both routers with him for me to hammer at troubleshooting this evening. I've tried after resetting the routers with the reset button, the factory restore and initialize settings, and the WPS button method. I've selected the AiMesh node setting from the initial setup wizard as well as operation mode setting. I've set the main router to both router and AP modes. I've restored the configuration file saved from my working router. I've tried each router as the main and node router. I've tried each of the four AiMesh firmware versions. I've spent hours trying every possible permutation of methods and settings and none of them have allowed my dad's routers to see each other as an AiMesh node.

Now that I have all three routers at my house, I was able to test both of them with my router. Sure enough, the original router my router was able to find was able to be found and connected to again. However, my router could not find my dad's other router at all. So this router seems to be the issue. It can't connect as either an AiMesh node or router to either of the other routers. But the two other routers can connect to each other.

>>Another (dumb?) idea might be to ship the node back to you, setup AiMesh with your 88U as before, and then ship both 88Us to Dad. If it works for him, he can ship you his router to use as your AP... and you may never have to consider why it may not work with AiMesh.

I've actually considered this same thing. The only problem would be I would have to end up with this apparently faulty router to use myself. And if I ever need to add an AiMesh node, it won't work for me. I also wonder what else could be wrong with this router if it doesn't work in this way. Are there other issues it could have?

Post if you get something from support. Would be interested to know if anyone else has "removed a node " and managed to successfully re-add.

I'll try to follow-up with ASUS support about contacting their engineers. They said they'd get back to me within 24-48 hours. That was over 5 days ago. So far, they haven't been at all helpful.

Oddly, the router that doesn't work was purchased in February 2018. My router, which works, is by far the oldest, purchased in December 2015. The other router that works was purchased the beginning of this month, May 2018. It might make sense to either exchange the router that doesn't work or work with ASUS to have it replaced.

I'd work with ASUS to RMA the router.

(Maybe the WPS bit is not communicating or one of the radios is out.)

OE

my dad through.

I'll try to follow-up with ASUS support about contacting their engineers. They said they'd get back to me within 24-48 hours. That was over 5 days ago. So far, they haven't been at all helpful.

Oddly, the router that doesn't work was purchased in February 2018. My router, which works, is by far the oldest, purchased in December 2015. The other router that works was purchased the beginning of this month, May 2018. It might make sense to either exchange the router that doesn't work or work with ASUS to have it replaced.

yes I logged with support , took about 5 days then they asked me to redo reset etc (up to 4 times) , advised them that still didn't work then got a AC66U-B1 is not on supported list buy a supported router .. Have a nice day reply from them.
Not impressed with support considering it was working fine , im back to the firmware that it was working on so its not that the device has been excluded in the new firmware. If i can't get it working will just have to stick with AP mode and Asus products will be off shopping list in the future.

Now that the 66U-B1 is on the supported list of devices , I recontacted ASUS support and after a few trials they suggested hardware and I should contact seller . Replacement 66U-B1 received from Amazon and succesfully added as a node so now back to ruuning mesh at long last.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!