What's new

AiMesh Daisy Chain or Star (Hub and Spoke) Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sammy2

Regular Contributor
Asus's FAQ mentions that one can have two nodes when set up as a daisy chain and up to 4 nodes if in a Star set up but they don't really say how to ensure the set up is in Star or not, just to put the router in the center of the house. For me this is not really practicable as the Cable Modem is in the office in a corner of the house.

How to set it up to ensure Star configuration?

TIA

Last edited:
Asus's FAQ mentions that one can have two nodes when set up as a daisy chain and up to 4 nodes if in a Star set up

How to set it up to ensure Star configuration?

Wire it! :D

I think your interpretation is too strict. The FAQ says 4 nodes in a star/daisy chain mix with no more than 2 nodes in a daisy chain. So, 4 star; or, 3 star plus 1 daisy chained... yes?

But how to honor this when wireless, especially when the router is at one end of the site. If centrally located, it might be easier to maintain the wireless star plus 1 node daisy chained out in their outer coverage area.

OE

Last edited:
The reason I ask is I just picked up another TM-AC1900 today on eBay for $50 plus $10 shipping less the 15% off with code PSPRINGTIME and will be adding it in my AiMesh next week.

This is sorta "extra" but I don't want any complaints about signal strength anymore! LOL

Is there a way to assure it goes to Hub and Spoke over WiFi?

Thanks!

As I see it, the only way to avoid more than 1 wireless daisy chain is to carefully locate the nodes for wireless star. And hope there is some design tolerance and less than worst-case traffic. The lowest spec AC routers (68Us?) may be least able to handle any excess... just guessing.

OE

It would be helpful if we are able to see what the current mesh links are connected to. Maybe they should have a graphical network map and allow you enable/disable mesh links.

It would be helpful if we are able to see what the current mesh links are connected to. Maybe they should have a graphical network map and allow you enable/disable mesh links.
That's a great idea and better yet, the ability to tune the network would be nice too.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

It would be helpful for ASUS to clarify node placement. Specifically, at what 'qualitative point' during node placement does a node's wireless backhaul switch from a star connection to a daisy chain connection, and can this happen for more than one node?

Ideally, the router should clearly indicate the wireless backhaul topology and quality so that the user can best optimize these when placing nodes; and it should automatically prevent violating the FAQ-implied restrictions on backhaul topology.

OE

It would be helpful for ASUS to clarify node placement. Specifically, at what 'qualitative point' during node placement does a node's wireless backhaul switch from a star connection to a daisy chain connection, and can this happen for more than one node?

Ideally, the router should clearly indicate the wireless backhaul topology and quality so that the user can best optimize these when placing nodes; and it should automatically prevent violating the FAQ-implied restrictions on backhaul topology.

OE

Not really sure if this is Hub & Spoke or Daisy Chain but I guess at least two are Hub & Spoke?

topology.JPG