What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KennethF

New Around Here
Hi,

Just out of curiosity - did anyone decide to give up on their Aimesh endeavors and go all in on something else such as Orbi, Google Wifi or similar? If so, did that improve things?

I am in Aimesh hell with daily connectivity issues where I need to reboot the master node to solve things.

Main: RT-AC68U - Wired backhaul to RT-AC66U_B1

Been patching and resetting and following general guidelines, but to no avail. Quite contrary, seems to be getting worse for each patch. Don't have time to tweak and tune, just need something that works.

Thinking about jumping ship and going the Orbis route, but just curious if anyone else tried that, and if it solved things....

Thanks

Hi,

Just out of curiosity - did anyone decide to give up on their Aimesh endeavors and go all in on something else such as Orbi, Google Wifi or similar? If so, did that improve things?

I am in Aimesh hell with daily connectivity issues where I need to reboot the master node to solve things.

Been patching and resetting and following general guidelines, but to no avail. Quite contrary, seems to be getting worse for each patch. Don't have time to tweak and tune, just need something that works.

Thinking about jumping ship and going the Orbis route, but just curious if anyone else tried that, and if it solved things....

Thanks

If you have not been there yet, I would install 21140 and reset all devices, and then rebuild your AiMesh from scratch (no restore). Then wait for the next release to be vetted by others.

Are you still using the ISP router?

OE

If you have not been there yet, I would install 21140 and reset all devices, and then rebuild your AiMesh from scratch (no restore). Then wait for the next release to be vetted by others.

Are you still using the ISP router?

OE

Are yous still running 21140 on your sx RT-AC86U's?

I'm running the Sept 14th firmware and I've noticed some strange short 2-second wifi dropouts. Was curious if rolling back to this firmware and resetting all routers completely and rebuilding AIMESH would help. Thanks for any advice!

Are yous still running 21140 on your sx RT-AC86U's?

I'm running the Sept 14th firmware and I've noticed some strange short 2-second wifi dropouts. Was curious if rolling back to this firmware and resetting all routers completely and rebuilding AIMESH would help. Thanks for any advice!

21140 was ok for me. After that, my node wireless client connection adapter link rate fluctuates down under load/speed test and even drops completely. I'm currently testing beta 4886 but it shows no improvement... so I'm not sure why I have it.

Can you run speedtest.net GO repeatedly on a wireless client PC connected to your 86U node to see if it falters?

OE

WARNING - RT-AC86U AiMesh firmware after 21140 is broken:

Is this one reason it's not in Merlin firmware yet. I really need a 5 gig AP out the back of the house.

WARNING - RT-AC86U AiMesh firmware after 21140 is broken:

Is this one reason it's not in Merlin firmware yet. I really need a 5 gig AP out the back of the house.

No... well maybe sort of... AiMesh is too volatile for non-stock firmware that intends to offer more stability, not less.

OE

It's really that borked?

I thought a universal open mesh standard existed too. Perhaps this can be integrated in the future.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It's really that borked?

I thought a universal open mesh standard existed too. Perhaps this can be integrated in the future.

No. No. And I don't know.

Mr. Merlin can explain the considerations much better than I can guess them.

OE

Thanks, I had read the FAQ but I clearly had a brain fart (sorry).

Perhaps I should just use same SSIDs across two nodes then and hope devices switch themselves.

Looks like AIMesh is a bit flakey anyway and Merlin's firmware is too awesome to give up.

Hi,

Thanks
AiMesh rocking the house here. The wife's VPN is working great. The kids stream via their Fire Stick and XboxOne. The mesh has been rock solid stable.

AiMesh rocking the house here. The wife's VPN is working great. The kids stream via their Fire Stick and XboxOne. The mesh has been rock solid stable.
Are u on latest fw?

Latest firmwares and Blue Cave is working perfectly with my RT-AC88U with Ethernet onboarding. My only wish is that AiMesh should quickly switch nodes on my devices as I hop from one node to the other. It stays on the first node like forever and this causes signal degradation even if I am in front on another node.

did anyone decide to give up on their Aimesh endeavors
I did, finally. I rolled back to a more old fashioned Router (RT-AC86U)/Access Point(RT-AC68U)/Repeater(RT-AC66U_B1) setup. I re-installed @RMerlin Firmware and @FreshJR script, and find that all of my speeds are higher, my connections more stable, and most important for me, my buffer bloat is better controlled. I need that for VOIP. For me, using a common SSID and log-in, the handoffs are almost as seamless as they were with AiMesh.

Just out of curiosity - did anyone decide to give up on their Aimesh endeavors

I went back to Merlin tonight, removing 2 nodes and repurposing them as 2 AP's (RT-AC68U) along with 2 other existing AP's (RP-AC68U--not capable of mesh) for a total of 4 AP's in addition to my 5300.

My movement across AP's is also pretty seamless, and to be honest this is the best my system has run, its snapper and more responsive. All on a vanilla Merlin, with no add ons. I am also using common SSID across AP's.

I was typically getting 420-430's on stock FW, I am now seeing 440-450's and my upload also increased from 21 to 23 Mbps. So certainly a notable benefit of setting up Merlin again.

Tomorrow, is time to back up the config and get to work adding in all the goodies.

At my parents huge house I had a 4G-AC68 and a RT-AC68 in AiMesh config in a Lan with also a rt-ac1200g+, two rt-n66 and a ea-n66.

I had to give up on aimesh between the two ac68 because the internet would slow down to a crawl and failing many requests on the 4G connection after a day or two.

Ever since I configured the RT-AC68 back to AP mode I have a rock solid connection and it has been going for about a week.

At my apartment I have two RT-AC68 for almost a year now and apart from some initial unstable aimesh FW it has been rock solid.

Since I'm reading of certain folks that are reporting solid aimesh on the 32799 FW, I will report that I did not have that experience and have "given up" on the stock/mesh.

Instead of rolling back, I installed Merlin on my AC86U (main/node) and my AC88U (now AP) last night. Instead of the usual evening of devices disconnecting from the wireless. I have a tablo set up for OTA TV, several Roku's, tablets/phones etc connected and those devices were getting tossed off the network several times a day.

Much better (with almost a day of data) so far. No disconnects and the "cost" will be having to manage/update two routers separately. Using smart connect and joined 2.4/5 with the same SSID/PW, everything is staying connected to the best point with no issues.

Since I'm reading of certain folks that are reporting solid aimesh on the 32799 FW, I will report that I did not have that experience and have "given up" on the stock/mesh.

Instead of rolling back, I installed Merlin on my AC86U (main/node) and my AC88U (now AP) last night. Instead of the usual evening of devices disconnecting from the wireless. I have a tablo set up for OTA TV, several Roku's, tablets/phones etc connected and those devices were getting tossed off the network several times a day.

Did you happen to change the default stock setting to match what Merlin has?

Default setting for these two are enabled in stock but disabled in Merlin as they cause issues.

Roaming Assistant

Airtime Fairness

Did you happen to change the default stock setting to match what Merlin has?

Default setting for these two are enabled in stock but disabled in Merlin as they cause issues.

Roaming Assistant

Airtime Fairness
I did NOT change the stock Merlin settings when I installed it but I tried T/S by turning those both off in the stock setup. Tried nearly everything. I got it to be better but not anywhere near rock solid.

Based on my current setup and needs here, I'm likely to stick to Merlin and forgo the AIMESH as it doesn't really buy me much capability anyway.