1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Aimesh - Did anyone give up?

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by KennethF, Sep 30, 2018.

1. KennethF

KennethF New Around Here

Hi,

Just out of curiosity - did anyone decide to give up on their Aimesh endeavors and go all in on something else such as Orbi, Google Wifi or similar? If so, did that improve things?

I am in Aimesh hell with daily connectivity issues where I need to reboot the master node to solve things.

Main: RT-AC68U - Wired backhaul to RT-AC66U_B1

Been patching and resetting and following general guidelines, but to no avail. Quite contrary, seems to be getting worse for each patch. Don't have time to tweak and tune, just need something that works.

Thinking about jumping ship and going the Orbis route, but just curious if anyone else tried that, and if it solved things....

Thanks

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Very Senior Member

If you have not been there yet, I would install 21140 and reset all devices, and then rebuild your AiMesh from scratch (no restore). Then wait for the next release to be vetted by others.

Are you still using the ISP router?

OE

indark likes this.
  4. Mitch

Mitch New Around Here

Are yous still running 21140 on your sx RT-AC86U's?

I'm running the Sept 14th firmware and I've noticed some strange short 2-second wifi dropouts. Was curious if rolling back to this firmware and resetting all routers completely and rebuilding AIMESH would help. Thanks for any advice!

5. OzarkEdge

21140 was ok for me. After that, my node wireless client connection adapter link rate fluctuates down under load/speed test and even drops completely. I'm currently testing beta 4886 but it shows no improvement... so I'm not sure why I have it.

Can you run speedtest.net GO repeatedly on a wireless client PC connected to your 86U node to see if it falters?

OE

6. bitmonster

bitmonster Regular Contributor

WARNING - RT-AC86U AiMesh firmware after 21140 is broken:

Is this one reason it's not in Merlin firmware yet. I really need a 5 gig AP out the back of the house.

7. OzarkEdge

No... well maybe sort of... AiMesh is too volatile for non-stock firmware that intends to offer more stability, not less.

OE

8. bitmonster

It's really that borked?

I thought a universal open mesh standard existed too. Perhaps this can be integrated in the future.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

9. OzarkEdge

No. No. And I don't know.

Mr. Merlin can explain the considerations much better than I can guess them.

OE

10. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

bitmonster likes this.
  11. bitmonster

Thanks, I had read the FAQ but I clearly had a brain fart (sorry).

Perhaps I should just use same SSIDs across two nodes then and hope devices switch themselves.

Looks like AIMesh is a bit flakey anyway and Merlin's firmware is too awesome to give up.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

12. DaveMishSr

DaveMishSr Very Senior Member

AiMesh rocking the house here. The wife's VPN is working great. The kids stream via their Fire Stick and XboxOne. The mesh has been rock solid stable.

13. Kingp1n

Kingp1n Regular Contributor

Are u on latest fw?

14. sanke1

sanke1 Regular Contributor

Latest firmwares and Blue Cave is working perfectly with my RT-AC88U with Ethernet onboarding. My only wish is that AiMesh should quickly switch nodes on my devices as I hop from one node to the other. It stays on the first node like forever and this causes signal degradation even if I am in front on another node.

15. DaveMishSr

DaveMishSr Very Senior Member

Yes sir. It's in my sig. The current firmware for the AC3100 is 3.0.0.4.384.32799.

16. shelleyevans

shelleyevans Regular Contributor

I did, finally. I rolled back to a more old fashioned Router (RT-AC86U)/Access Point(RT-AC68U)/Repeater(RT-AC66U_B1) setup. I re-installed @RMerlin Firmware and @FreshJR script, and find that all of my speeds are higher, my connections more stable, and most important for me, my buffer bloat is better controlled. I need that for VOIP. For me, using a common SSID and log-in, the handoffs are almost as seamless as they were with AiMesh.

HuskyHerder likes this.
  17. HuskyHerder

HuskyHerder Regular Contributor

I went back to Merlin tonight, removing 2 nodes and repurposing them as 2 AP's (RT-AC68U) along with 2 other existing AP's (RP-AC68U--not capable of mesh) for a total of 4 AP's in addition to my 5300.

My movement across AP's is also pretty seamless, and to be honest this is the best my system has run, its snapper and more responsive. All on a vanilla Merlin, with no add ons. I am also using common SSID across AP's.

I was typically getting 420-430's on stock FW, I am now seeing 440-450's and my upload also increased from 21 to 23 Mbps. So certainly a notable benefit of setting up Merlin again.

Tomorrow, is time to back up the config and get to work adding in all the goodies.

18. muddymind

muddymind Occasional Visitor

At my parents huge house I had a 4G-AC68 and a RT-AC68 in AiMesh config in a Lan with also a rt-ac1200g+, two rt-n66 and a ea-n66.

I had to give up on aimesh between the two ac68 because the internet would slow down to a crawl and failing many requests on the 4G connection after a day or two.

Ever since I configured the RT-AC68 back to AP mode I have a rock solid connection and it has been going for about a week.

At my apartment I have two RT-AC68 for almost a year now and apart from some initial unstable aimesh FW it has been rock solid.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!