What's new

AiMesh doesn't work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JakeJ

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I have two Asus routers, the RT-AC86U set as the main mesh router and the RT-AC68U which I am trying to set as the mesh node, but, so far I have been unsuccessful. I tried resetting both routers to factory settings, changed IPs, nothing worked. It does seem that the AC86U sees the RT-AC68U for a brief moment, but then it fails to connect to the mesh network (the 'node detected' icon disappears and the wheel spins forever).
I have followed the steps properly, so is there a known problem or have I encountered a bug or a bad unit?
Also, I tried the other way around, the AC68U as the router and the AC86U as the node and I got the same behaviour: it detects the node for a few seconds and then I get the message that the node has not been detected.
Looking forward for your reply.

What firmware are you using?

I had to downgrade 1 release to set the mesh up and then upgrade to latest after the fact.

What firmware are you using?

I had to downgrade 1 release to set the mesh up and then upgrade to latest after the fact.
Both routers are on the latest 3.0.0.4.384_20648 firmware, but even if I wanted to downgrade the AC68U, I can't because ASUS has only the latest update available on the official website. I will try it with the AC86U and see if it will connect.

I am still unable to set up AiMesh on the RT-AC86U and the RT-AC68U. What I tried so far: changing the channels and initialize, disabling Airtime Fairness and both types of Beamforming and initialize, set up the AC68U as the router and the RT-AC86U as the node, updated the new firmware on the RT-AC68U, checked the timezone (both were set correctly), set up the RT-AC86U as access point/aimesh router (in this case, the devices failed to see themselves completely). In every case except the last one, the node would be detected for a couple of seconds and then nothing. I genuinely have no idea what else to try to make this work, so I'm open to any suggestions.

I am still unable to set up AiMesh on the RT-AC86U and the RT-AC68U. What I tried so far: changing the channels and initialize, disabling Airtime Fairness and both types of Beamforming and initialize, set up the AC68U as the router and the RT-AC86U as the node, updated the new firmware on the RT-AC68U, checked the timezone (both were set correctly), set up the RT-AC86U as access point/aimesh router (in this case, the devices failed to see themselves completely). In every case except the last one, the node would be detected for a couple of seconds and then nothing. I genuinely have no idea what else to try to make this work, so I'm open to any suggestions.

Adding a node should just work. Call ASUS Support... they should be able to move you forward:
ASUS Tech Support.jpg

And if you see an option to swap the 68U for an 86U, take it.

OE

last firm for RT-AC68U is 20942, not your 20648 !
Try it, work for me in both directions (one as main-router other as node).

you can download all versions back to 384_10007, just change last 5 digits of this link to get them all: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC68U/FW_RT_AC68U_300438410007.ZIP

Dont set anything on the node, just press reset button on the back 15s and leave it untouched. All done on main mesh-router.

I did update to the latest firmware (the 20942) and still nothing. I'm thinking that maybe they're set on different regions, so is there any way to check and change it?

Adding a node should just work. Call ASUS Support... they should be able to move you forward:
View attachment 13190

And if you see an option to swap the 68U for an 86U, take it.

OE
Well, what I'm trying to do is test this specific scenario and write an analysis about it, so two RT-AC86U would defeat the purpose (most people will try AiMesh on the RT-AC68U and RT-AC86U).

My 68U is set to no region #a and on 86U I use Asia at the moment if it helps.
No ethernet connection on 68U, must be found by WiFi (3m distance) for meshing, later you can wire them.

Last edited:
Well, what I'm trying to do is test this specific scenario and write an analysis about it, so two RT-AC86U would defeat the purpose (most people will try AiMesh on the RT-AC68U and RT-AC86U).

Understood. I mentioned it because I think i) the 86U is a more current and stronger build; ii) using/administrating identical nodes and firmware has its subtle advantages; and iii) ASUS's AiMesh inter-operation goal of one big happy AiMesh product line family is not an easy nut to crack, particularly in the beginning with pre-existing products. I've said it before... I'm impressed that they are trying to pull it off... a testament to their commitment to AiMesh, imo.

To be fair to your analysis, AiMesh does work but there are issues yet to be ironed out.

Incidentally, I had no problem adding a 68U node to my 2x86U AiMesh. If you are honoring the AiMesh setup advice and still no joy, then you may have a defective router/firmware.

OE

you can try roll back the firmware of ac68u to earlier version 384.20308.

my ac3100 has issue to even see my first gen ac68u on firmware after the v384.20308
I have to roll back the firmware to establish the ai-mesh when I reset it.
But once the ai-mesh connection is established, it's fine to update the firmware and the mesh will stay established.

Try resetting the Ac68u (hold reset button down for 20 seconds) and then accessthe 68u by wifi with a smartphone/tablet/laptop. Set up the AC68u to work as a node and see if it works.

I had alot of trouble trying to set up a AC68u node through the router (5300). I could see the node and it would attempt to set up but it would always fail. Only way I could get it to work was trying the above.

you can try roll back the firmware of ac68u to earlier version 384.20308.

my ac3100 has issue to even see my first gen ac68u on firmware after the v384.20308
I have to roll back the firmware to establish the ai-mesh when I reset it.
But once the ai-mesh connection is established, it's fine to update the firmware and the mesh will stay established.

That worked! I can't believe it, but the older firmware on the RT-AC68U allowed me to connect to the RT-AC86U. Now let's see how does the AiMesh behave in my home environment.
Thank you and the other users (Grisu, OzarkEdge, grueber, InfiniteLoop) very much for your help!

realy unbelievable that it did not work with new firmware but with older - very confused ?!?
I know and I'm equally confused. I kept the latest firmware on the RT-AC86U and updated the RT-AC68U after the pairing was done and everything works fine so far.

That worked! I can't believe it, but the older firmware on the RT-AC68U allowed me to connect to the RT-AC86U. Now let's see how does the AiMesh behave in my home environment.
Thank you and the other users (Grisu, OzarkEdge, grueber, InfiniteLoop) very much for your help!

Now wait and see how AiMesh Phase 2 rakes the 68U firmware over the coals! First they denied it Smart Connect support; now it's the Phase 2 beta pig. :)

OE

I know and I'm equally confused. I kept the latest firmware on the RT-AC86U and updated the RT-AC68U after the pairing was done and everything works fine so far.
not everyone reset the the router setup everytime they update ;p
so maybe that's why ppl do not have issue for ai-mesh on ac68u not working
I personally reset router everytime as I switch and play with different firmware often.
found and had reported the issue a while ago, was hoping that it to be fixed.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...issue-between-ac3100-20379-ac68u-20624.45714/

not everyone reset the the router setup everytime they update ;p
so maybe that's why ppl do not have issue for ai-mesh on ac68u not working
I personally reset router everytime as I switch and play with different firmware often.
found and had reported the issue a while ago, was hoping that it to be fixed.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...issue-between-ac3100-20379-ac68u-20624.45714/
I'm not sure that's necessarily the case because I know that Grisu has the same routers as me and tested them with the latest firmware and he reseted and initialized both, and for him, it worked. There have to be some additional factors and I'm certain that people that have the same problem as me, share some common elements (I have no idea which, though).

I'm not sure that's necessarily the case because I know that Grisu has the same routers as me and tested them with the latest firmware and he reseted and initialized both, and for him, it worked. There have to be some additional factors and I'm certain that people that have the same problem as me, share some common elements (I have no idea which, though).
yes, tested again some configs in AP-mesh mode.

68U region #a with 20942 and 86U region Asia with 20648 (there is no newer).
But now both connected via WAN-ports to a modem-router with DHCP, did not remove them.
Mesh at first attempt ok.
Then tried new 68U BETA -> no initial mesh-connection possible with it.
Back 20942 meshed perfectly and then upgraded to Beta-1716 will still work.
UPDATE: only short time, then loosing connection and going offline.

I allways make 20s reset with button on back, and leave it totally untouched, no setting on this planed mesh-node at all, not even connect Wifi to it on PC.
Channel 5 bandwith 20/40 and 36 with 80-bandwith set on 86U, Smart connect and airtime fairness OFF, roaming assistent ON. Dont think this all would make any differences but who knows.

Attention: If I set 2,4G to 40 MHz bandwith mesh-node will go offline while 5G with 80MHz is ok!

Last edited:
well, only thing I can think of is the change between 20308 and what comes after.
Since it's the firmware before the change changes on TM-ac1900, which shares same hardware with my first gen ac68u.
first gen ac68u could be one factor; just a guess.
but ya, now that someone else also shares the issue with different hardware combo with ac68u, it might be more easier for asus to identify what cause the issue.
@arthurlien