What's new

AiMesh Ethernet Backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aps

Occasional Visitor
I’m looking to add a second ASUS router as an AiMesh node off an RT- AC86U and it’s simple for me to connect the two via Ethernet cable (via switches). Is it correct to think that this is a better setup than via WiFi? And will the resulting WiFi have all the same SSID etc as per a WiFi to WiFi setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Using an ethernet backhaul is ideal if you can run cable between router and node(s)!
It doesn't share the wifi spectrum, letting it for clients.

You'll have to add the node over wireless, they need to be close enough. But once it's added, you can move the node to the place you want and connect it with a cable; it can be on WAN or LAN port of the node. You than can go to router GUI and leave the node as automatic or switch it manually to cable. I've never had a problem and router&node always choose ethernet to run the traffic through.

with the new firmware coming next days 32738 or beta 32683 it can also mesh via ethernet directly.
And please connect it on node WAN-port, even if it possibly could run on LAN port too (thats not the way it has been thought).

Yep re setup of a 5300 and 2, 68u over Ethernet, was a breeze.

Funny even though setup that way, WPS gets re enabled. A warning is given about it being re enabled.
The node initially shows a wireless connection and it will switch to Ethernet when in auto mode. It took about 20-25 seconds for the GUI to show wired.

Sorry to bump an old thread but thought it best that starting a new one...

I have 3 x RT-AC68u's, 1 main router and 2 AiMesh - 1 wireless and the other wired as priority via WAN port... Everything seems fine until I do firmware updates and I get so many issues? It all seems to be related to the wired AiMesh AC68 that causes the network not to communicate with each node... I know it's a bid of a dud if I've no logs to share but more interested in anyone else has experienced this?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online