What's new

AiMesh firmware release 3.0.0.4.384_32799 not stable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Richard Li

Regular Contributor
It seems new firmware has some regression problems that has been fixed some time ago.......

AiMesh system:
Main router in AP mode: RT-AC88U
Nodes: RT-AC88U and RT-AC86U

Setup details:
1. Clean upgrade with factory reset and setup everything from scratch
2. MAC address filter enabled

Problems:
1. devices will drop connection suddenly and reconnects afterwards (not stable)
2. from log it seems roaming is triggered with wrong RSSI values (I once observed that there is a RSSI value of positive numbers with 6-7 digits), so some devices just keep roaming without moving around while constantly staying close to a node (~1m)

I have tried to send out logs to ASUS via firmware but not receiving any response. So I post it up here and see if anything can be done.

I can help to dump more detail logs, as I have done before, please contact me for further assistance.

It seems new firmware has some regression problems that has been fixed some time ago.......

AiMesh system:

Setup details:

Problems:
2. from log it seems roaming is triggered with wrong RSSI values (I once observed that there is a RSSI value of positive numbers with 6-7 digits), so some devices just keep roaming without moving around while constantly staying close to a node (~1m)

I have tried to send out logs to ASUS via firmware but not receiving any response. So I post it up here and see if anything can be done.

I can help to dump more detail logs, as I have done before, please contact me for further assistance.

Could you resend again?

[Issue Found] Client connection will drop randomly when the client connected with Guest Network.

Setup Condition
1. Guest Network enabled in AiMesh Router.
2. Roaming enabled.

Temporary solution
1. "Roaming Assistant" = Disabled in the Wireless - Professional GUI configuration page

We are working on the final solution.

Last edited:
Temporary solution
1. Disabled Roaming function.

Arthur,
Just to confirm that when you said "Disabled Roaming function" you mean turning "Roaming Assistant" = Disabled in the Wireless - Professional GUI configuration page. Thanks.

Arthur,
Just to confirm that when you said "Disabled Roaming function" you mean turning "Roaming Assistant" = Disabled in the Wireless - Professional GUI configuration page. Thanks.

Yes, Let me corrected it.

[Issue Found] Client connection will drop randomly when the client connected with Guest Network.

Setup Condition
1. Guest Network enabled in AiMesh Router.
2. Roaming enabled.

Temporary solution
1. "Roaming Assistant" = Disabled in the Wireless - Professional GUI configuration page

We are working on the final solution.

Oops... there is no node guest network to roam to... yet. :)

OE

I tried going back from latest firmware to 21140 ,but it seemed unstable for me. I am using 3 RT68 U (main in Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode ) and other two as Node .
With 21140 firmware (After hard reset/nvram clear) - wireless node kept going offline even after disabling Airtime Fairness.

Once I updated the firmware to latest and disabled Airtime Fairness- Nodes are rock solid.

AiMesh system:

Setup details:

Problems:

Hi Fellow......
I Wish to share my aimesh experienced.....
Primary Router : RT-AC86U - Firmware : 3.0.0.4.384_32799
Aimesh node : RT-AC88U - Firmware : 3.0.0.4.384_32799
Environment : 7 m and 2 plasterboard walls
Roaming : -50 Dbm
Channel bandwidth : 80Mhz (5G Band)
Previous wifi channel : 36 - wifi speed randomly changing between 1300Mbps and 1950 mbps ( between Primaey and node)
Change new wifi channel to 153, this have improved and stabilise wifi speed and range of client device ( also improve wifi speed of the Primary router and node between 1950 Mbps to (2166 Mbps most of the time)).

Last edited:
Hi Fellow......
I Wish to share my aimesh experienced.....
Primary Router : RT-AC86U - Firmware : 3.0.0.4.384_32799
Aimesh node : RT-AC88U - Firmware : 3.0.0.4.384_32799
Environment : 7 m and 2 plasterboard walls
Roaming : -50 Dbm
Channel bandwidth : 80Mhz (5G Band)
Previous wifi channel : 36 - wifi speed randomly changing between 1300Mbps and 1950 mbps ( between Primaey and node)
Change new wifi channel to 153, this have improved and stabilise wifi speed and range of client device ( also improve wifi speed of the Primary router and node between 1950 Mbps to (2166 Mbps most of the time)).
thats because ch. 149+ got much more power than ch. 36, think it was >5dB stronger when I compared them.

I am having very similar issues as Richard, only difference is only one mesh node (88U). I have turned off roaming assistant and I do NOT have guest network enabled.

I had far worse problems on the previous firmware and had turned off smart connect (did not correct the issue) but it is on now. Any assistance appreciated.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    255 KB · Views: 479
Well, after testing some time after clean upgrade (factory reset and setup everything again), I discovered a few problems:

1. Roaming kick off and reconnect to same node. Well, I found that the behavior is not happens always, it may disappeared after rebooting the whole system. So the solution is to have the system rebooted once it happens.
2. Disconnected to Internet access while device show full power and connected. This symptom only appeared in my first floor of my penthouse, in which the main AP resides.
3. Devices keeps disconnecting and reconnecting without any roaming messages in the log. This symptom usually appears in the coverage of my RT-AC86U node.
4. When transferring a large file, the connection suddenly drops and the device roams to a farther node, seems the wireless restarted.

I will keep observing and try to track down the problem with debug log send out for debugging.

Hope this helps.

Well, after testing some time after clean upgrade (factory reset and setup everything again), I discovered a few problems:

1. Roaming kick off and reconnect to same node. Well, I found that the behavior is not happens always, it may disappeared after rebooting the whole system. So the solution is to have the system rebooted once it happens.
2. Disconnected to Internet access while device show full power and connected. This symptom only appeared in my first floor of my penthouse, in which the main AP resides.
3. Devices keeps disconnecting and reconnecting without any roaming messages in the log. This symptom usually appears in the coverage of my RT-AC86U node.
4. When transferring a large file, the connection suddenly drops and the device roams to a farther node, seems the wireless restarted.

I will keep observing and try to track down the problem with debug log send out for debugging.

Hope this helps.
Richard,
For comparison,
  • may I know what are the WiFi NVRAM settings that you have changed from the default settings after factory reset
  • are issues you have 2.4GHz related only or same happen to 5GHz

Hope this helps.

2. Does 'main AP' mean AiMesh router configured as a router?

3. and 4. are consistent with the 86U node wireless client slow down/crap out issue introduced in 32797, although I don't know about 'wireless restarts' since the WiFi signal does not drop when viewed with an analyzer. If you observe WiFi Status for a connected PC adapter, you can watch the adapter link rate fall down as the trouble occurs, ~866-780-650-144-50-30-drop Mbps. This node connection issue is hard to observe if the AiMesh router is within good range because once the node client connection falters, the client may reconnect to the router node despite it being farther away and stay connected there. Then you won't notice a speed test falter because the node slow down/crap out issue does not affect wireless clients connected to the AiMesh router. This issue affects 32797, 32799, and beta 4886. It does not affect 21140... client adapter link rate remains stable.

After testing beta 4886, I'm back on 21140.

In testing beta 4886, I noticed that the router client lists... all of them including the Log... were not very accurate... obvious omissions. Much better on 21140.

OE

Last edited:
Just got a pair of RT-AC68U running firmware 3.0.0.4.384_32799
Set up as Wireless router mode / AiMesh Router mode (Default)
The main router and aimesh node is like only 15 feet apart with several walls.

The aimesh node frequently just goes "dead" meaning devices are still connected to it and there is no internet available (web pages progress just keep spinning). The aimesh node is alive as I can ssh into it.
I could issue the reboot command and then all the devices connected to the aimesh node will have internet again.
Since rebooting the aimesh node seems to let the devices reconnect to the main node transparently, I am running a cron job in aimesh just to reboot every hour. That is of course not a solution.

Read a lot on this forum and seeing people have similar problems.
Just out of curiosity, did a ps in the aimesh node and see that same processes are running multiple times.
There was also a lldp process running under "nobody".
Not sure if this is normal or not.

Thanks.

302 cgeyma-a 5348 S amas_wlcconnect
303 cgeyma-a 5432 S amas_bhctrl
304 cgeyma-a 5388 S amas_lanctrl
312 cgeyma-a 5432 S amas_bhctrl
313 cgeyma-a 5432 S amas_bhctrl
314 cgeyma-a 5432 S amas_bhctrl
316 cgeyma-a 5388 S amas_lanctrl
317 cgeyma-a 5388 S amas_lanctrl
318 cgeyma-a 5388 S amas_lanctrl
328 cgeyma-a 1536 S avahi-daemon: running [RT-AC68U-42B8.local]
333 cgeyma-a 5348 S bwdpi_check
334 cgeyma-a 1248 S lld2d br0
338 cgeyma-a 5376 S roamast
391 cgeyma-a 5344 S radio join
393 cgeyma-a 5344 S radio join
430 cgeyma-a 5376 S roamast
431 cgeyma-a 5376 S roamast

Just got a pair of RT-AC68U running firmware 3.0.0.4.384_32799
Set up as Wireless router mode / AiMesh Router mode (Default)
The main router and aimesh node is like only 15 feet apart with several walls.

The aimesh node frequently just goes "dead" meaning devices are still connected to it and there is no internet available (web pages progress just keep spinning). The aimesh node is alive as I can ssh into it.
I could issue the reboot command and then all the devices connected to the aimesh node will have internet again.
Since rebooting the aimesh node seems to let the devices reconnect to the main node transparently, I am running a cron job in aimesh just to reboot every hour. That is of course not a solution.

Read a lot on this forum and seeing people have similar problems.
Just out of curiosity, did a ps in the aimesh node and see that same processes are running multiple times.
There was also a lldp process running under "nobody".
Not sure if this is normal or not.

Thanks.

302 cgeyma-a 5348 S amas_wlcconnect
303 cgeyma-a 5432 S amas_bhctrl
304 cgeyma-a 5388 S amas_lanctrl
312 cgeyma-a 5432 S amas_bhctrl
313 cgeyma-a 5432 S amas_bhctrl
314 cgeyma-a 5432 S amas_bhctrl
316 cgeyma-a 5388 S amas_lanctrl
317 cgeyma-a 5388 S amas_lanctrl
318 cgeyma-a 5388 S amas_lanctrl
328 cgeyma-a 1536 S avahi-daemon: running [RT-AC68U-42B8.local]
333 cgeyma-a 5348 S bwdpi_check
334 cgeyma-a 1248 S lld2d br0
338 cgeyma-a 5376 S roamast
391 cgeyma-a 5344 S radio join
393 cgeyma-a 5344 S radio join
430 cgeyma-a 5376 S roamast
431 cgeyma-a 5376 S roamast

If firmware 21140 is more stable for you, I'd hold there. You should be able to upload it manually to each node from the router GUI.

OE

If firmware 21140 is more stable for you, I'd hold there. You should be able to upload it manually to each node from the router GUI.

OE
OK, I will try 21140.
After I got the units, I updated the firmware right away and never did try another version.

Are you able to tell if those duplicated processes are normal?

Thanks

OK, I will try 21140.
After I got the units, I updated the firmware right away and never did try another version.

Are you able to tell if those duplicated processes are normal?

Thanks

If you have not reset yet, I would load 21140, reset each device, and rebuild from scratch to preclude any weird behavior.

I can't interpret the router processes, sorry.

OE