What's new

AiMesh GT-AX11000 + AX92U - wrong DFS channel 160MHz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sturmstar

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have a weird observation or slight problem.

Before I bought the AX92 to extend my network I had only the AX11000 with WIFI5-1 at Channel 36 (160MHz) and WIFI5-2 at Channel 128 (160MHz) - it took a while to got this going because the only 160MHz DFS channel with 160MHz working in my region (austria) is 128. But after I knew - there was no problem - the 160MHz WIFI5-2 was rocksolid - and IMPORTANTLY NEVER got radar switched down or any of this kind (for months)

Since I configured the AIMESH - at first - WIFI5-2 stays at channel 128 (with 160MHz) - but after some time (a few minutes to a few hours) it sets the channel to 100 - and to only 80MHz (If I would set the GT-AX11000 standalone to this channel it would also only work with 80MHz)

I don't know why this is happening - it's not radar - because as I said - I have it standalone for months without degrading. But with AIMESH it changes the channel (and i don't know why or how to prevent this) - in the Wireless-settings - at first (when it's still on the right channel) the channels can be manually selected - but from the point where it's degrading - the settings switch to "AUTO" and i can't change the channel manually anymore.

Help anybody? Thank you very much. I would like to use the full bandwith for the wireless-backhaul - and it works perfectly for a few hours - so it is really nagging me.

this is with aimesh before the channel changes from itself...
1649050101606.png

Look into the router log to see what messages appear at the time of the change. I'm suspicious that this is indeed a radar-induced shutdown, but without the log entries it's hard to be sure.

Look into the router log to see what messages appear at the time of the change. I'm suspicious that this is indeed a radar-induced shutdown, but without the log entries it's hard to be sure.

As I said - I hardly doubt it because I have the channel 128 in 160MHz working for months without an interruption.

And I looked into the logs - there is no single line about what's happening either... that's also very strange.

Lots of DFS activity in Europe over the last few weeks. It's related to the war in Ukraine. I too have started seeing DFS events on channels that have been clear for nearlly 2 years.

Lots of DFS activity in Europe over the last few weeks. It's related to the war in Ukraine. I too have started seeing DFS events on channels that have been clear for nearlly 2 years.

That is indeed true ... but shouldn't there something in the logs? - I don't find anything

That is indeed true ... but shouldn't there something in the logs? - I don't find anything
Monitor the "time elapsed" value next to the DFS state, it will tell you when the last DFS channel monitoring occurred.

I figured it out - since there where no entries in the GT-AX11000 logs i searched in the the AImesh Node via SSH and found indeed the "radar" entries.

It looks like the radar event is triggered by the aimesh-node and I wonder if it's placement has to do with it. Is it possible that my main-router (the GT-AX11000) doesn't get triggered at all because it's in the middle of my apartement (old house with massive walls - nearly no mobilephone reception from outside) and the AImesh Node is right in front of a window to also cover the terrace?

That would be the explanation why the GT-AX11000 standalone never got triggered - and as soon the aimesh node is connected (and gets triggered) - the whole aimesh is.

I figured it out - since there where no entries in the GT-AX11000 logs i searched in the the AImesh Node via SSH and found indeed the "radar" entries.

It looks like the radar event is triggered by the aimesh-node and I wonder if it's placement has to do with it. Is it possible that my main-router (the GT-AX11000) doesn't get triggered at all because it's in the middle of my apartement (old house with massive walls - nearly no mobilephone reception from outside) and the AImesh Node is right in front of a window to also cover the terrace?

Makes a lot of sense. Maybe you can configure the remote AP to not rebroadcast on DFS channels? I don't recall having seen options for that in AIMesh, but it's possible on some other gear. Maybe you could do it with ASUS' gear if you abandoned AIMesh and did manual configuration of each AP.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!