What's new

AiMesh help please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

carlos lopez

New Around Here
Good morning.
I recently purchased an Asus blue cave router to connect it via AIMESH with the RT-AC68R that I currently have. The blue cave I am using it as the main router (connected via Ethernet directly to the modem in the first floor) and the RT-AC68R as the node upstairs (second floor). The node connects fine but I find that the speeds are very low, in fact when I disconnect the node (RT-AC68R) the speeds I get in the second floor are way better with just the blue cave connected downstairs. I am using two different SSIDs , one for the 2.4 mhz and one for the 5mhz, both are NOT hidden.
I have 150 mbps connection and with the blue cave i get that connection downstairs and using 5mhz connection. I get around 60 -70 using the 2.4 mhz and also around 30-40 mbps upstairs using the 5mhz. When I connect the node I get 5-6 mgbs using the 5mhz which to me is completely slow (both routers are updated to the latest firmware and I reset the RT-ac68r before connecting it as a node. Am I doing anything wrong ? any way to get these better?
Any help would be appreciate it
Thanks

Good morning.
I recently purchased an Asus blue cave router to connect it via AIMESH with the RT-AC68R that I currently have. The blue cave I am using it as the main router (connected via Ethernet directly to the modem in the first floor) and the RT-AC68R as the node upstairs (second floor). The node connects fine but I find that the speeds are very low, in fact when I disconnect the node (RT-AC68R) the speeds I get in the second floor are way better with just the blue cave connected downstairs. I am using two different SSIDs , one for the 2.4 mhz and one for the 5mhz, both are NOT hidden.
I have 150 mbps connection and with the blue cave i get that connection downstairs and using 5mhz connection. I get around 60 -70 using the 2.4 mhz and also around 30-40 mbps upstairs using the 5mhz. When I connect the node I get 5-6 mgbs using the 5mhz which to me is completely slow (both routers are updated to the latest firmware and I reset the RT-ac68r before connecting it as a node. Am I doing anything wrong ? any way to get these better?
Any help would be appreciate it
Thanks

Did you reset the Blue Cave after installing the latest firmware... a standard starting point?

Check the router wireless log... what are the wireless backhaul MACs' RSSI and Tx,Rx rates for the 2.4 and 5.0 bands?

OE

Did you reset the Blue Cave after installing the latest firmware... a standard starting point?

Check the router wireless log... what are the wireless backhaul MACs' RSSI and Tx,Rx rates for the 2.4 and 5.0 bands?

OE
Sorry, very basic network knowledge, I did reset the Blue Cave after upgrade.
The blue Cave is connected via Ethernet to the modem and the RT-ac68r is using wireless
Should I reset everything and do the set up again ?
Should i activate the roaming assitance?
below post is kind of similar to what i am experiencing but with the difference that i am using a Blue cave as primary router and that the node is not a wired connection but wireless
I did noticed the node chooses the 5ghz SSID
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-aimesh-not-working-well.48196/

Sorry, very basic network knowledge, I did reset the Blue Cave after upgrade.
The blue Cave is connected via Ethernet to the modem and the RT-ac68r is using wireless
Should I reset everything and do the set up again ?
Should i activate the roaming assitance?
below post is kind of similar to what i am experiencing but with the difference that i am using a Blue cave as primary router and that the node is not a wired connection but wireless
I did noticed the node chooses the 5ghz SSID
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-aimesh-not-working-well.48196/

Looking at the Wireless Log in the router GUI will help to determine how well your wireless backhaul from node to router is performing.

Do you have an Android device? You could install the app WiFi Analyzer to see your router and node WLANs on each band to determine their range and overlap. Why did you disable roaming assistant? It may help a client connection sticking to a distant WLAN to instead switch to a closer stronger WLAN for better speed.

OE

Looking at the Wireless Log in the router GUI will help to determine how well your wireless backhaul from node to router is performing.

Do you have an Android device? You could install the app WiFi Analyzer to see your router and node WLANs on each band to determine their range and overlap. Why did you disable roaming assistant? It may help a client connection sticking to a distant WLAN to instead switch to a closer stronger WLAN for better speed.

OE

Thank you , I have an iphone not android but I can try to send you something when I am back home.
The wifi roaming assist is disabled from factory but i can enable it again if you do recommend to do so, how many db should i set it in ?
Also is it a good idea to keep Different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5ghz? or just one SSID?

The exact issue I am having is that i Live in a townhouse and the modem and blue cave are in the 1st floor. When i try to use netflix and other streaming services upstairs the signal is not that good in 5ghz, it is good in 2.4 but the mbps drop considerably.
I was planning to create an AIMESH with the old router RT-AC68R and place it in my room but the few times i have tried it the signal actually gets stronger but the download mbps get very weak in comparison with just using the blue cave downstairs, don't know if it has anything to do with the device just sticking to the blue cave downstairs and not picking up the signal from the RT-ac68r upstairs (roaming) . Could it be the the roaming is not activated it or maybe because the routers are too close to each other and with the new blue cave should be sufficient for both floors?
I know is probably something with the settings that i am missing

Thank you , I have an iphone not android but I can try to send you something when I am back home.
The wifi roaming assist is disabled from factory but i can enable it again if you do recommend to do so, how many db should i set it in ?
Also is it a good idea to keep Different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5ghz? or just one SSID?

The exact issue I am having is that i Live in a townhouse and the modem and blue cave are in the 1st floor. When i try to use netflix and other streaming services upstairs the signal is not that good in 5ghz, it is good in 2.4 but the mbps drop considerably.
I was planning to create an AIMESH with the old router RT-AC68R and place it in my room but the few times i have tried it the signal actually gets stronger but the download mbps get very weak in comparison with just using the blue cave downstairs, don't know if it has anything to do with the device just sticking to the blue cave downstairs and not picking up the signal from the RT-ac68r upstairs (roaming) . Could it be the the roaming is not activated it or maybe because the routers are too close to each other and with the new blue cave should be sufficient for both floors?
I know is probably something with the settings that i am missing

Review my AiMesh install notes... might help.

Maybe someone here can recommend an iOS app for analyzing WiFi signals. You want the 5 GHz WLANs to overlap a bit. And you don't want neighboring WiFi to compete with yours on the same channels. Ideally, place the BlueCave one side of center on the 1st level, and the 68U opposite side of center of the 2nd level... or about 50-70 feet apart, more or less.

My 86U: Roaming Assistant RSSI threshold per band to affect node steering (defaults are 2.4 GHz -55 dBm and 5.0 GHz -70 dBm). Enabled by default with the defaults.

Since your 68U does not support Smart Connect node band steering, you may need to use separate SSIDs for each band. And use Roaming Assistant.

OE

Review my AiMesh install notes... might help.

Maybe someone here can recommend an iOS app for analyzing WiFi signals. You want the 5 GHz WLANs to overlap a bit. And you don't want neighboring WiFi to compete with yours on the same channels. Ideally, place the BlueCave one side of center on the 1st level, and the 68U opposite side of center of the 2nd level... or about 50-70 feet apart, more or less.

My 86U: Roaming Assistant RSSI threshold per band to affect node steering (defaults are 2.4 GHz -55 dBm and 5.0 GHz -70 dBm). Enabled by default with the defaults.

Since your 68U does not support Smart Connect node band steering, you may need to use separate SSIDs for each band. And use Roaming Assistant.

OE
Thank you so much for all your help and guidance.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!