What's new

AiMesh issue with constant pauses, hiccups

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JB Northwest

Occasional Visitor
I have an odd problem that so far I haven't seen discussed in any forum (please correct me if i'm wrong on that!) I have a very large home 3 stories each level about 1400 sq ft. (only two levels are occupied - long story). So i bought an Asus AC88u to start, was very happy with it, gives excellent coverage over the whole house, even outside where i have some wireless security cameras. seems very stable with 50 clients and plenty of Netflix bingeing, kids can all be watching their own HD stream simultaneously. Soooooooo.... I have one dead spot in house. So i bought a used Asus RT 66U_B1 to try out aimesh. It seemed to work at first but the connections to the node are all crummy. Usually they work with decent downloads speeds, say 60-80Mbps, more than enough for my needs. But if for example I'm playing a game on my phone that happens to connect to that node, the game starts pausing every few seconds. Drives me crazy. I have been just using LTE lately because it's oddly more reliable. My security cameras sometimes won't show a stream if they are on the node. I tried hardwiring, but no difference except download speeds are a little better. Otherwise same aggravating pauses. I updated firmware on both routers, no change. So long as the connection is to the main router all the problems are gone. Asus chat support was useless, said they had never heard of this. Recommended rebooting, reset to defaults etc. Is that really all i can do??

I have an odd problem that so far I haven't seen discussed in any forum (please correct me if i'm wrong on that!) I have a very large home 3 stories each level about 1400 sq ft. (only two levels are occupied - long story). So i bought an Asus AC88u to start, was very happy with it, gives excellent coverage over the whole house, even outside where i have some wireless security cameras. seems very stable with 50 clients and plenty of Netflix bingeing, kids can all be watching their own HD stream simultaneously. Soooooooo.... I have one dead spot in house. So i bought a used Asus RT 66U_B1 to try out aimesh. It seemed to work at first but the connections to the node are all crummy. Usually they work with decent downloads speeds, say 60-80Mbps, more than enough for my needs. But if for example I'm playing a game on my phone that happens to connect to that node, the game starts pausing every few seconds. Drives me crazy. I have been just using LTE lately because it's oddly more reliable. My security cameras sometimes won't show a stream if they are on the node. I tried hardwiring, but no difference except download speeds are a little better. Otherwise same aggravating pauses. I updated firmware on both routers, no change. So long as the connection is to the main router all the problems are gone. Asus chat support was useless, said they had never heard of this. Recommended rebooting, reset to defaults etc. Is that really all i can do??

It is not all you can do, but it would be the best thing to do if you want to give AiMesh the best chance to succeed.

Better yet, why not just use the 'B1 in AP mode (wired)?

If you do decide to do a reset, do it once and properly with the links in my signature below.

I would recommend following the M&M Config, the WPS NVRAM erase, the Sanitize Network and the Control Channel Setup links found within. :)

Reset to factory defaults, if you have not done so. If you webUI remove the node, it will reset. Then you can webUI reset w/initialize the router, configure it from scratch, and add the node. I'm able to add my node in place, so I don't have to move it around/touch it.

OE

It is not all you can do, but it would be the best thing to do if you want to give AiMesh the best chance to succeed.

Better yet, why not just use the 'B1 in AP mode (wired)?

If you do decide to do a reset, do it once and properly with the links in my signature below.

I would recommend following the M&M Config, the WPS NVRAM erase, the Sanitize Network and the Control Channel Setup links found within. :)

Sorry for dumb question but what would i be losing by dropping to AP mode? And can i do it wireless? To be honest the hard wire was just troubleshooting - the cable is running through the house on the floor :) - I will do the resets tonight and try it out.

Last edited:
Sorry for dumb question but what would i be losing by dropping to AP mode? And can i do it wireless? To be honest the hard wire was just troubleshooting - the cable is running through the house on the floor :) - I will do the resets tonight and try it out.

I don't think you lose much in AP mode if you want stability. Wireless though is not a good option (called Repeater mode) as it will greatly reduce the WiFi performance every time the repeater AP is in use.

Do the reset and follow OzarkEdge's suggestions. It may get everything working for you. :)

Do the reset and follow OzarkEdge's suggestions. It may get everything working for you. :)

... wirelessly.

So, what does the router show when it supports Smart Connect and the node does not... does it show 'Dual-Band Smart Connect' and permit the user to configure the same SSID for both bands? The OP should use separate SSIDs with the 66U in the mix.

OE

... wirelessly.

So, what does the router show when it supports Smart Connect and the node does not... does it show 'Dual-Band Smart Connect' and permit the user to configure the same SSID for both bands? The OP should use separate SSIDs with the 66U in the mix.

OE
I’d like to avoid separate SSID - I’m afraid the other four “users” in the house will have my head if the network has any new complexity. I already have to hide the main router in cabinet for aesthetic reasons which doesn’t help the range any. (It’s out in open for now to troubleshoot)

I’d like to avoid separate SSID - I’m afraid the other four “users” in the house will have my head if the network has any new complexity. I already have to hide the main router in cabinet for aesthetic reasons which doesn’t help the range any. (It’s out in open for now to troubleshoot)

Just know that your node does not support Smart Connect node band steering, so your clients may not connect to the preferred node band... or maybe they will have "hiccups" trying to decide... I'm not sure how they behave except that they may not connect to the best connection/WLAN.

With separate SSIDs such as JB-24 and JB-50, leave it to the user to connect to the best connection... they'll figure it out. Just tell 'em to try JB-50 first.

Also, maybe your used 66U is troubled.

OE

Just know that your node does not support Smart Connect node band steering, so your clients may not connect to the preferred node band... or maybe they will have "hiccups" trying to decide... I'm not sure how they behave except that they may not connect to the best connection/WLAN.

With separate SSIDs such as JB-24 and JB-50, leave it to the user to connect to the best connection... they'll figure it out. Just tell 'em to try JB-50 first.

Also, maybe your used 66U is troubled.

OE
As long as I disable band steering, should that particular problem be mitigated? but maybe I just need to spring for more expensive node unless AP mode or other solutions discussed here solve

As long as I disable band steering, should that particular problem be mitigated? but maybe I just need to spring for more expensive node unless AP mode or other solutions discussed here solve

Smart Connect node band steering is a feature in the router whereby the router 'persuades' the client to connect to the best node band/connection. But the client ultimately decides. Without it, a client might stick to the worst node band/connection, which a No-Smart Connect node would allow. I don't know what your client connection issue is exactly but one thought is that using same SSIDs may be a factor... it is likely a factor if your clients stick to the lessor connection due to no Smart Connect influence.

Connecting the 66U in AP mode requires a wired backhaul and serves all wireless bandwidth to the clients.

Connecting the 66U in Repeater/Extender mode uses a wireless backhaul and shares the wireless bandwidth with both the backhaul and the clients.

OE

Smart Connect node band steering is a feature in the router whereby the router 'persuades' the client to connect to the best node band/connection. But the client ultimately decides. Without it, a client might stick to the worst node band/connection, which a No-Smart Connect node would allow. I don't know what your client connection issue is exactly but one thought is that using same SSIDs may be a factor... it is likely a factor if your clients stick to the lessor connection due to no Smart Connect influence.

Connecting the 66U in AP mode requires a wired backhaul and serves all wireless bandwidth to the clients.

Connecting the 66U in Repeater/Extender mode uses a wireless backhaul and shares the wireless bandwidth with both the backhaul and the clients.

OE
Ok AP = wired, Repeater =wireless backhaul. got it. I also just stumbled across a new variable (maybe) i have a home-assistant linux box which has plugins for monitoring the primary router. kinda forgot about it but noticed it must have memory leak, had maxed the server's available ram. God only knows what's going on there but I'm going to shut that down and see if it makes any difference.

In you case (you'ld like one SSID everywhere) maybe it would be better to sell the 66u_b1 and take a 86U instead which supports SmartConnect. And consider to use it as main router and 88U as node.

Multiple nvram, firmware resets and node seems to work better. Still some pausing in games and web browsing. Next step is to do same to main router. I noted one odd thing after all the resets - I couldn’t add the node to AiMesh without using Ethernet cable directly to laptop to set node in AiMesh mode . But at least it worked.

Multiple nvram, firmware resets and node seems to work better. Still some pausing in games and web browsing. Next step is to do same to main router. I noted one odd thing after all the resets - I couldn’t add the node to AiMesh without using Ethernet cable directly to laptop to set node in AiMesh mode . But at least it worked.

To reset the router is to reset the node.

To reset the router, first remove the node from the router webUI. The node will then reset automatically. Then you can proceed to reset/initialize the router from the webUI, re-configure it from scratch, and then add the node from the router webUI. You do not configure the node directly; it should be in a factory default state when you search for it and add it to the router AiMesh.

OE

Right - I was trying to point out that all I have done so far is to detach the AiMesh node and work on it directly. Once detached it could not be found . No amount of resets with the buttons , power cycling etc would make it visible. I finally hardwired it to laptop and then i could connect and set it as a node. It was then immediately visible. I have not reset or M&M’d the main. That’s my weekend project.

Right - I was trying to point out that all I have done so far is to detach the AiMesh node and work on it directly. Once detached it could not be found . No amount of resets with the buttons , power cycling etc would make it visible. I finally hardwired it to laptop and then i could connect and set it as a node. It was then immediately visible. I have not reset or M&M’d the main. That’s my weekend project.

You are not understanding me.

You do not configure the node. You do not connect to the node to configure it. You only need to reset the node and add it to the AiMesh from the router webUI.

Button reset your node again and then leave it alone. Reset and configure the router and then add the node.

See my notes for clues. Read the ASUS AiMesh Install FAQ.

OE

You are not understanding me.

You do not configure the node. You do not connect to the node to configure it. You only need to reset the node and add it to the AiMesh from the router webUI.

Button reset your node again and then leave it alone. Reset and configure the router and then add the node.

See my notes for clues. Read the ASUS AiMesh Install FAQ.

OE
That doesn’t work for me. WebUI does not see it. It does work to hard wire it, tell the node router you want it to be a node and then use WebUI. Tried following your instructions and ASUS instructions no luck (but i haven’t reset main router yet as family is asking me to wait until weekend)

That doesn’t work for me. WebUI does not see it. It does work to hard wire it, tell the node router you want it to be a node and then use WebUI. Tried following your instructions and ASUS instructions no luck (but i haven’t reset main router yet as family is asking me to wait until weekend)

How far is the wireless backhaul distance? Are you setting the node next to the router when searching to add it?

What sales channel did you get the used 66U from?

OE

How far is the wireless backhaul distance? Are you setting the node next to the router when searching to add it?

What sales channel did you get the used 66U from?

OE
I was directly over the router through a floor so about 12 feet. Was a used one off ebay that formerly ran merlin. Seller claims never had any issues. Once configured i moved it into garage so the backhaul distance is maybe 30 feet and through more walls.

I was directly over the router through a floor so about 12 feet. Was a used one off ebay that formerly ran merlin. Seller claims never had any issues. Once configured i moved it into garage so the backhaul distance is maybe 30 feet and through more walls.

Those distances seem ok.

Maybe AiMesh node search will find the node after you redo the router. As it is now, AiMesh setup is not working as intended... so this may have something to do with your node client experience. My confidence would be low at this point... I would insist on AiMesh search finding the node.

OE