What's new

AiMesh issues - unsolved

• Thread starter Deleted member 62525
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 62525

My primary router is RT-AC86U with Merlin 386.4 firmware. My secondary router has stock firmware.
I do use an external DNS - local to my network and running on local NAS. In my current configuration with secondary router in Media Bridge mode all is working perfectly.

I tried to configure AirMesh today but with no success. Reset secondary router to defaults (hardware reset), rebooted, then use the primary router to search for the node. The whole process goes through all the way (100%) and at the very end shows a screen that says it is unable to setup the node and lists various reasons. Tried it few times and still the same.

I am puzzled at this point since the technology is mature already and I did not expect this. Any ideas would be appreciated.
I also tried reverse - meaning resetting the node, login and configure the node first to be airmesh node. Then, connecting to main router and trying to setup the node.
Still I get the samae error screen.

Is your second router also an 86U?

When you reset the secondary router did you select the default option for aimesh and, if so, did you confirm that it was in the aimesh "discoverable" mode?

When you reset the secondary router did you select the default option for aimesh and, if so, did you confirm that it was in the aimesh "discoverable" mode?
I followed Asus manual and only resetted the router. Once this was performed the main router was able to discover the secendary router, then shows the progress all the way to 100% completed.
After that is displays error page.

Anyway, this was only an experiment so no big deal. I wated to see how Airmesh would work.

I have the same problem. Two RT-AC86U routers after being reset to their default settings cannot connect in AiMesh mode. The problem occurs in Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4 and Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5. Everything works fine on the original Asus firmware. I need AiMesh mode so I have to use original asus firmware, asus merlin does not connect to AiMesh .. This problem has not been fixed in merlin for a long time.

Same here, tried to add an RT-AC86U and RT-AC66U from an RT-AC86U but didn't work. Flashed original and it worked.. Would it be possible to downgrade and pair with AiMesh and then upgrade to the latest merlin?

Yes, this should work. The latest version where AiMesh ran on Merlin is 386.3.2 for RT-AC86U.

On the latest ASUS firmware 3.0.0.4.386.46092, the two routers will not connect to AiMesh after restoring their default settings.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!