What's new

aimesh manual channel control?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

akb

So i have this weird set up.

two routers ac88u and ac86u right next to each other because it is in my network rack.

In the past i had it where one was a AP so the channels were 1 and 11, but i did not like that the host list was showing half the hosts all the time.
I tried aimesh and it solved the issue where everything is seen perfectly, but now both are on the same channel.

Luckily nothing too ugly has been happening that i could tell, but i know having two AP's right next to each other on the same channel is causing issues.

any way to manually change the aimesh node channel? I tried to do the nvram stuff but it seems like the aimesh node is always showing 0's for the 2.4 and 5ghz channel.

Sounds like i just need to go back to old method where i can not see full host list but have two diff channels.

any insight to try before i revert?

Whether you're using it in AP mode, Repeater mode, or AiMesh mode, the channel has to be the one of the main router. Side by side, this is not a good idea for the best RF and multiple device usage.

Go back to the old method only if you need to. What I would suggest as better is to move the RT-AC88U (far) away and use the RT-AC86U as the main router instead.

Reactions: akb
Whether you're using it in AP mode, Repeater mode, or AiMesh mode, the channel has to be the one of the main router. Side by side, this is not a good idea for the best RF and multiple device usage.

Go back to the old method only if you need to. What I would suggest as better is to move the RT-AC88U (far) away and use the RT-AC86U as the main router instead.

I have been doing AP mode with the 86u on a different channel for years. it seems to worked better that way? Have a done it wrong? Regardless i can not really move them as they are centralized to the house. The reason i need two is that i have a smart home so i have toooo many devices for a single device to handle.

Also why 86u as the main, the 88u is the better unit.

Don't shorten the model names. The specifics matter. :)

The RT-AC86U is superior to the RT-AC88U by a large margin in many areas.

If you're doing a 'wired' AP, yes, different channels are recommended. I'm thinking you were doing this as wireless AiMesh/AP's.

If you're doing a 'wired' AP, yes, different channels are recommended. I'm thinking you were doing this as wireless AiMesh/AP's.

yes wired backhaul.

Where is it doc'ed the 86u (rt-ac86u) is better then the 88u(rt-ac88u) for all future convo? It is just more popular because of the price is all i can tell.

I have a 68u not 86u that is why i confused myself, had to double check. I knew the other one was worse. alright thanks for other info looks like since both AP's in mesh next to each other are working... i will just stick with it regardless of the channels being blasting each other. I just hated the network map being inconsistent when one was in AP mode.

Not just the CPU and NVRAM upgrades. But also the AES-NI VPN encryption (enabling going from about 40Mbps up to 250Mbps depending on both ends of the VPN's ISP's up/down capabilities and the fact that the kernel is newer on the RT-AC86U too. :)

hello
i currently have a ac68u (downstairs) running as an wired aimesh node and a ac3100 (upstairs). should i change the setup from aimesh to a wired ap based on your feedback? i have always hoped that having an aimesh network would facilitate the device roaming within the network.

If you have that (wired) option available, then wired AiMesh should be used.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!