What's new

AiMesh maximum of 8 wired nodes?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mike76

New Around Here
Does anybody know if there is a maximum of 8 wired nodes? I have a setup like this:
Scherm­afbeelding 2022-11-03 om 14.11.48.png

Everything is wired, after numerous tests I am very confident the wiring itself is no factor. As you can see, the systems starts with an AC86U. This is connected to a (factory setup) Zyxel GS1900-24 switch, which in turn connects the nodes. Up to 8 nodes connect wired; each and every node I connect beyond that number will only show 5G connection, although on the LED's WAN (internet) is being lighted continuously. All routers are updated to the current ASUS firmware. I have tested switching different nodes and it does not matter specifically which node I connect beyond the 8th. Even after switching between nodes which connected wired in the first occasion, they loose wired connection if they are connected beyond the 8th. As a test, I have had 10 nodes connected but only 8 will connect wired.

Is this normal system behavior or am I missing something?

Thanks for your quick reply. I have taken out the AC88U out of the equation, yet this does not change the result of a maximum of 8 AiMesh wired connected nodes…

Just an observation: That is a great deal of nodes, which I never thought of more than three or four for a large/multi-level home or building. I wouldn't feel comfortable pushing all that data through an AC86 Main, but I've been spoiled since my AC86 has been upgraded to a GT-AX6000.

It could just as easily be a coding issue where no one thought anyone would ever be pushing more than 8 wired nodes through a household/consumer router! Even so, I suspect that if Merlin themself were to reply, it would be that the AiMesh code is proprietary and there is no access to change or even see how it is working!

I have a setup like this:

I'm sorry Mike76, but your "setup" driven by the most unreliable Asus router with bunch of old routers attached to it with half serving 0-1 clients - doesn't make any sense. This is AiMess, not AiMesh. More nodes using the same channel with no control whatsoever don't make your "setup" better.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!