What's new

AiMesh media bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

indark

yes you can.

my old set up: AP - wireless - Mediabridge - wired - PS4
and new set up: AP - wireless - Aimesh node - wired - PS4

Thanks, great. So in principle the old Media Bridge mode is now unnecessary? Can you please explain how to setup AiMesh mode, because it says something like the router should be factory reset first? I was thinking that I would just change the mode of the secondary device from Media Bridge to AiMesh Node. But then I don't know if it changes the IP address of the device, so how can I finish the setup...

the old media bridge mode is a single function we have previously
and the AiMesh node mode is a new mode supports as mesh node and also bridge LAN ports to primary.

I activated AiMesh Node and the setup was successful, no problems. Everything seems to work as before.

so does that mean the RP-AC68U will be supported?
or is it now redundant.

RP is repeater, it's different product and not listed in the official aimesh page.
you should ask in the official firmware thread to get better answer

Could you check if it turning on and using the guest network?

http://router.asus.com/Guest_network.asp

I had an issue with the new firmware and media bridge where it was turning on the guest network to use for the bridge.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68u-version-3-0-0-4-384-10007.43114/page-2#post-370988

I dont have issue with mediabridge mode after update the firmware. I was actually using mediabridge mode while research how aimesh works.

didn't find much info so I decided to just give aimesh a shot.

try to factory reset and power cycle (unplug the router ~30+ sec), it often solve any weird issue that I experience after major firmware update or swap between official n merlin firmware.

I was initially having trouble to search for nodes, but solved after I factory reset n power cycle both routers.

Last edited:
I dont have issue with mediabridge mode after update the firmware. I was actually using mediabridge mode while research how aimesh works.

didn't find much info so I decided to just give aimesh a shot.

try to factory reset and power cycle (unplug the router ~30+ sec), it often solve any weird issue that I experience after major firmware update or swap between official n merlin firmware.

I was initially having trouble to search for nodes, but solved after I factory reset n power cycle both routers.

I was mostly wondering if aimesh was turning on the guest network.

neither my router has guest network turned on and didn't experience anything out of ordinary

neither my router has guest network turned on and didn't experience anything out of ordinary

I didn't turn guest network on either but when enabling media bridge mode with the 10007 firmware the router turned on the guest network by itself and was using the guest network for the media bridge.

Rolled back to 18881 firmware and the guest network was disabled in media bridge mode.

Perhaps AiMesh works differently and is what I am trying to determine. Once the 10007 source code comes out I can look into it but for right now the only source code on the site is 18881 which does not have AiMesh.

ok here is an interesting result with mediabridge mode that I got.
was previously working fine, but now it will turn on guest mode

I was setting my main router ac3100 with 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz seperately - main2G and main5G
I then set the ac68U with test2G and test5G ssid.

so when I try to change ac68U to mediabridge mode via 5G
here is the result
for the ssid that I see main2G, main5G, ASUS_5G_Guest1, and test2G
and when I try to connect to each ssid, here is the result I got
main2G - AC3100
main5G
test2G
- AC68, can log in with admin/admin, while it's not connected, you will be able ot access network map and see other devices on the network
ASUS_5G_Guest1, AC68

I then try to mediabridge via 2.4G, and now it will turn on 2G guest network, and only 3 ssid is listed.
main2G, main5G, and ASUS_GUEST1

so there is def something wrong with mediabridge, could be the new landing page that help you switch between different mode

Last edited:
so there is def something wrong with mediabridge, could be the new landing page that help you switch between different mode

Or something to do with AiMesh

10007-media bridge mode turns on guest network

18881 or lower- media bridge mode does not turn on guest network

I went back to 18881 on my bridge mode router.

between 382-18991 and 384-10007, I would most likely assume it's the landing page that is causing issue. kinda no point for them to touch mediabridge module that works already, but we will see what happened.

gonna report that issue and hopefully it will be fixed.

glad I revert everything and made everything works again before wife is back :p

but ya, since I could still hardwire my devies to the aimesh node mode like I did with mediabridge, I just play with it and see how well it performs :)

Last edited:
RP is repeater, it's different product and not listed in the official aimesh page.
you should ask in the official firmware thread to get better answer
already did no response