What's new

AiMesh mixed 386 with 388?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lindros2

Regular Contributor
Anyone do this?
My AX11000 can upgrade to the latest 388 (thankfully delayed instead of the buggy one from last year), but my GT-AC5300 is stuck on 386.
Am I asking for problems by upgrading the 11000?

Anyone do this?
My AX11000 can upgrade to the latest 388 (thankfully delayed instead of the buggy one from last year), but my GT-AC5300 is stuck on 386.
Am I asking for problems by upgrading the 11000?
No. But keep in mind the AC router can limit the functions of the AX in a mesh. Better to use the AC as an access point.

But keep in mind the AC router can limit the functions of the AX in a mesh.

Mixed AiMesh is not the best option, but this specific AC router is one of the best AC routers with basically the same hardware as AX11000 lass AX radios. It can have >2Gbps dedicated wireless backhaul to AX11000 plus available 4x4 radio for the clients. It supports everything available in AX11000.

No. But keep in mind the AC router can limit the functions of the AX in a mesh. Better to use the AC as an access point.
yeah I've tried this - posted about 3x about the oddity...

if I use EITHER RT-AC5300 or GT-AC5300 as MAIN, the AX11000 as node/access point/slave still gets 400-500mbps (max). 250-350 (average/normal).

If I use the GT-AX11000 as MAIN, and either of the above as slave (or AC68U, AX68, AX88, etc.), the whole thing maxes out at 200mbps.

I've tried this across firmware versions, and tweaked just about everything.
Doesn't make sense.

But it's the truth...

(mac, linux, Xbox, TV's, windows, phones - iOS and Android, you name it...)

This is specific issue between two router models, not AX and AC mixed AiMesh common issue. Report it to Asus for eventual fix chance.

This is specific issue between two router models, not AX and AC mixed AiMesh common issue. Report it to Asus for eventual fix chance.
Yeah right - you ever deal with their tech support?!

also it's not specific to Mesh -- same thing if used as an extender. Been going on for years.

Tech Support - no. Few times Send Feedback from the GUI with no reply. :)
This is why I said "for a chance". Perhaps similar to winning the lottery, but still a chance.