What's new

Aimesh network setup with and without VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gunder Sønsteby

Occasional Visitor
Hi

Need some advise regarding an Aimesh network setup with and without VPN. I currently have 2 GT-AX11000 connected in a Aimesh network with Merlin firmware and ethernet backhaul (Cat 6) and running VPN on the routers. The problems with the setup is that I no not have any network without VPN and not all sites like VPN and there are also some reach problems and I have Wifi 6E clients that I would like to support. Therefore I am considering buying 2 GT-AXE16000 and connect them to the existing GT-AX11000 network and running VPN on the AXE16000 network and no VPN on the GT-AX11000 network. Then the clients can change from one SSID with VPN to another without VPN as needed.

Questions
1. Can I use the same ethernet backhaul for both networks (connect the main router for the VPN network to the main router for the non VPN network with a cat 6 cable to the WAN-port, then connect a cat 6 cable between two LAN ports of the two main routers, and connect the VPN Aimesh node to the non VPN Aimesh node with a cat 6 cable to the WAN port)?
2. Will there be trouble running two routers in the same bands?
3. Is this the best way to do it or are there other options that might be better?

Expand reach
To expand the reach of the VPN network I am considering buying another Aimesh node. There I do not need Wifi 6E support, I was wondering about RT-AX92U, but that is not supported by Merlin firmware. So now I am leaning towards the Asus RT-AX58U which have Merlin support.

Question
Is the RT-AX58U a good choice in this setup or are there other options I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any advise!

Hi

Need some advise regarding an Aimesh network setup with and without VPN. I currently have 2 GT-AX11000 connected in a Aimesh network with Merlin firmware and ethernet backhaul (Cat 6) and running VPN on the routers. The problems with the setup is that I no not have any network without VPN and not all sites like VPN and there are also some reach problems and I have Wifi 6E clients that I would like to support. Therefore I am considering buying 2 GT-AXE16000 and connect them to the existing GT-AX11000 network and running VPN on the AXE16000 network and no VPN on the GT-AX11000 network. Then the clients can change from one SSID with VPN to another without VPN as needed.

Questions
1. Can I use the same ethernet backhaul for both networks (connect the main router for the VPN network to the main router for the non VPN network with a cat 6 cable to the WAN-port, then connect a cat 6 cable between two LAN ports of the two main routers, and connect the VPN Aimesh node to the non VPN Aimesh node with a cat 6 cable to the WAN port)?
2. Will there be trouble running two routers in the same bands?
3. Is this the best way to do it or are there other options that might be better?

Expand reach
To expand the reach of the VPN network I am considering buying another Aimesh node. There I do not need Wifi 6E support, I was wondering about RT-AX92U, but that is not supported by Merlin firmware. So now I am leaning towards the Asus RT-AX58U which have Merlin support.

Question
Is the RT-AX58U a good choice in this setup or are there other options I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any advise!
1. No
2. Maybe
3. Always another way.
You do not need Merlin on AiMesh nodes and the VPN runs on the main router only. May be better to run VPN on the clients.

1. No
2. Maybe
3. Always another way.
You do not need Merlin on AiMesh nodes and the VPN runs on the main router only. May be better to run VPN on the clients.
Thanks for your feedback!

Can you please expand on why I can not use the same ethernet backhaul?

Why does VPN need to be on the main router?

So I can use Asus and Merlin firmware together in a network setup? Thanks I did not know that! Regardless I would like to buy a router that has support for Merlin. What router should I go for?

Is this the best way to do it or are there other options that might be better?

You don't need to buy anything. Your 2x GT-AX11000 routers are more than enough to cover >3000sqf, if placed in right locations. All you have to do is clear your VPN configuration issues. Keep the number of routers to minimum. Adding more nodes than needed will make your network only worse.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!