What's new

AiMesh Node Keeps Disappearing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AlphaGator

Occasional Visitor
I have an RT-AC5300 as the main node on the 2nd floor, an RT-AC3100 node on the 1st floor, and another RT-AC5300 as a node in the basement. The basement node is constantly disappearing/disconnecting, leaving me with just two nodes. When I reset it, it rejoins the mesh, and shows a full strength connection (based on the web UI - all four bars are lit).

The 5300's on the 2nd floor and basement are two floors away vertically; however, horizontally, they are nearly above/below each other.

I have the latest firmware on all nodes...Smart Connect and Roaming assist are on.

Any thoughts on keeping it connected?

I have an RT-AC5300 as the main node on the 2nd floor, an RT-AC3100 node on the 1st floor, and another RT-AC5300 as a node in the basement. The basement node is constantly disappearing/disconnecting, leaving me with just two nodes. When I reset it, it rejoins the mesh, and shows a full strength connection (based on the web UI - all four bars are lit).

The 5300's on the 2nd floor and basement are two floors away vertically; however, horizontally, they are nearly above/below each other.

I have the latest firmware on all nodes...Smart Connect and Roaming assist are on.

Any thoughts on keeping it connected?

Yep, mine too. I have AC86U (router) - AC3100 (node 1) - AC68U (node 2). It disappears on ASUS router web ui, but not on other apps like Fing. I wonder if this is a bug just within Asus... ?

i have the issue with two TMobile converted 68p's. node would show offline, all clients would connect to the main except for my Nest Camera. I ended up flashing to Merlin's FW and setup the second router as a repeater until AiMesh gets worked out.

What's weird is I see the basement node (that isn't showing as a connected node) in the master node's client list...and it says it has a wired interface...which isn't correct. There is no wired backhaul.

Also, the clients that usually connect to the basement node (which isn't showing up as a node currently) are all showing as a wired interface on the webUI.

But only in the webUI, not the iPhone app (isn't listed there).

Could they actually be connected through the basement node, but are showing up as clients of the master node? Weird.

Yep, mine too. I have AC86U (router) - AC3100 (node 1) - AC68U (node 2). It disappears on ASUS router web ui, but not on other apps like Fing. I wonder if this is a bug just within Asus... ?
Same...I can see that the basement node (the one missing as a node on the UI) is broadcasting the SID on the same channels as the master (as it should be).

I have a 5300 and a 68u as a node, and I am also experiencing the node not only disappearing, but ANY indication of AiMesh being anywhere in the firmware. The link from the start page is gone. And when you connect via the Android app, the AiMesh tab for sorting connections is also not there as well. Rebooting is the only remedy.

I have a 5300 and a 68u as a node, and I am also experiencing the node not only disappearing, but ANY indication of AiMesh being anywhere in the firmware. The link from the start page is gone. And when you connect via the Android app, the AiMesh tab for sorting connections is also not there as well. Rebooting is the only remedy.
I wonder if that is because you have only one node...I bet if I only had one, the AiMesh view would disappear from the web ui after it drops.

I wonder if AiMesh still shows up on mine because I have three nodes?

Now I am having issues with the AC3100...it shows "offline" on the webUI, even though it is on and close to the master (one floor away, but almost on top of each other). The AC5300 node isn't even listed anymore as an AiMesh node (should be listed as "offline" if the connection was lost, right?)
upload_2018-2-25_13-27-2.png

The AC5300 isn't listed here as offline. The AC3100 should be online...only shows up after reboot.

upload_2018-2-25_13-26-15.png

The AC5300 node is listed in the client table as a wired client??

The AC5300 node will reappear as a node after reboot...but after some time, it will disappear again.

Last edited:

I am having the exact opposite problem. I have my node hooked up and configured as a wired connection, yet in my client list it shows it wireless.

KvUHzSz.png

segMVDd.png

It has NEVER shown as wired either

Last edited:
I wonder if that is because you have only one node...I bet if I only had one, the AiMesh view would disappear from the web ui after it drops.

I wonder if AiMesh still shows up on mine because I have three nodes?

Now I am having issues with the AC3100...it shows "offline" on the webUI, even though it is on and close to the master (one floor away, but almost on top of each other). The AC5300 node isn't even listed anymore as an AiMesh node (should be listed as "offline" if the connection was lost, right?)
View attachment 12100

The AC5300 isn't listed here as offline. The AC3100 should be online...only shows up after reboot.

View attachment 12099

The AC5300 node will reappear as a node after reboot...but after some time, it will disappear again.

Could you send feedback with syslog, wifi log by Feedback function ?

Hi everyone,

I've tried the AIMesh now for more than 2 weeks and here's the problems that I see is wrong with the AIMesh software.
I bought the AC5300 as my head router and 5 AC68U for the entire setup. Setup was pretty simple and easy but every morning the network didn't have access to the internet. Then every time I tried to connect to the AC5300 router the connection was through one of the Nodes (the re-direct message appeared but nothing happens). Then I could reset alle the nodes until I found the right one who was gone offline. And then the internet and network worked again.
But this problem occure more than once per day and then I started to look into the logs and the nodes. Each time (before the network didn't work correctly one or more Nodes went offline. And it was both the WIFI connected and the wired who went offline.

Now after almost two weeks with constantly rebooting and resetting Nodes and router I went back to firmware without AIMesh on the AC68U and setup them as AP or repeaters and now the network is working fine again.
In my opinion the AIMesh software is not yet ready for release to a larger setup as mine. I did expect more of Asus AIMesh but it's not ready yet.

Hi everyone,

I've tried the AIMesh now for more than 2 weeks and here's the problems that I see is wrong with the AIMesh software.
I bought the AC5300 as my head router and 5 AC68U for the entire setup. Setup was pretty simple and easy but every morning the network didn't have access to the internet. Then every time I tried to connect to the AC5300 router the connection was through one of the Nodes (the re-direct message appeared but nothing happens). Then I could reset alle the nodes until I found the right one who was gone offline. And then the internet and network worked again.
But this problem occure more than once per day and then I started to look into the logs and the nodes. Each time (before the network didn't work correctly one or more Nodes went offline. And it was both the WIFI connected and the wired who went offline.

Now after almost two weeks with constantly rebooting and resetting Nodes and router I went back to firmware without AIMesh on the AC68U and setup them as AP or repeaters and now the network is working fine again.
In my opinion the AIMesh software is not yet ready for release to a larger setup as mine. I did expect more of Asus AIMesh but it's not ready yet.

Could you send feedback with syslog, wifi log by Feedback function ?

And that has just been done. But the router only keept the logs from the 23th of February (last reset) but should contain the log from yesterday where I re-setup the entire setup-

BR
Torben

Hi everyone,

From FAQ:
"You can add up to 2 nodes under daisy chain topology, and up to 4 nodes when you mix daisy chain and star topology.

Overall, you can have up to 5 in an AiMesh system. (1 AiMesh router + 4 AiMesh nodes)"

https://www.asus.com/US/support/FAQ/1035085

I think this means 4 star nodes max; or 2 star nodes plus 2 daisy-chain nodes max.

OE

Last edited:
@arthurlien I've tried sending Feedback, but it fails saying that my ISP probably is blocking a port. Can this be worked around? Here is info from my log (attached).

For some reason it won't let me upload the txt file.

Last edited:
@arthurlien I've tried sending Feedback, but it fails saying that my ISP probably is blocking a port. Can this be worked around? Here is info from my log (attached).

For some reason it won't let me upload the txt file.

Email your log to router_feedback <at> asus dot com, and mention your forum name in your email.

Here is more evidence that it is actually functioning as a node, but the client list in the web ui is not listing it...

I see the 5300 in the client list, so I entered its IP address into a browser and I see a page with just "Detecting AiMesh Router", then it reroutes me to the master node's ui. But the basement 5300 is still not listed as an AiMesh node after doing this.

So it knows I have accessed a node's IP, then sends me to the master node for the web ui.

Is there a way to see what node the clients are connected to other than the web ui or app? Or, can I see the node's mac address from my laptop if I take it down to the basement (to see if I am connected to the 5300 in the basement)?

Also, the App shows zero nodes when I first open it, then goes to 3, then quickly to 2. The app DOES NOT show the AC5300 node it the client list (as a node or as a client, where the web UI shows it as a client). And again, it shows it as a wired client, which isn't correct.

And I have not been contacted by ASUS yet.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!