What's new

AiMesh Node Slow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LexLuthor

Regular Contributor
I have an Asus RT-AX86U as my main router and an ASUS RT-AC68U as my mesh node. Both running latest Merlin. I'm connected via Ethernet and have Ethernet backhaul mode on.

It looks like I max out at about 50M/50M when connected to the RT-AC68U. I get up to my full 300M/300M when connected to the RT-AX86U. Should I be getting faster speeds when connected to the mesh node? If so, what could be wrong?

Edit: Actually I see my laptop goes over 150M, it's my phone only getting 50M. It's a Samsung Galaxy S23, so it's got a new wifi chip. Phone gets 300M when connected to the main router.

Best to run Asus firmware on the node and use auto backhaul setting. Forcing Ethernet backhaul has been reported to cause issues in the past.

Ok, mesh node is on latest Asus firmware now. In AiMesh->System settings, I turned off Ethernet Backhaul Mode. Under network, it says uplink type is Ethernet 1Gbps. Under management, backhaul connection priority says auto now.

Same 50M speed on the Samsung Galaxy S23 phone even when I'm next to the mesh node. Laptop still gets full speed (it actually gets 300M/300M when I'm nearer the mesh node).

There has been some mention recently about samsung messing up their wifi with a firmware update. I'm not sure though whether this was specifically with the S23, nor whether it's been rectified yet.

There has been some mention recently about samsung messing up their wifi with a firmware update. I'm not sure though whether this was specifically with the S23, nor whether it's been rectified yet.
I don't recall seeing that, but it's certainly possible.

Here's some more data. I noticed that the Samsung GS23 was connecting as 2.4GHz so I disabled 2.4 on the mesh node. The phone doesn't seem to want to connect to the mesh node then, but if I bind it to the mesh node, it does connect at 5GHz and I do get 300M/300M.

So seems like the problem is that the phone won't connect on its own to the mesh node at 5GHz. I've got devices that may benefit from the 2.4GHz connection so I'm not sure I want to leave that off, plus I want the Samsung to roam between the routers so I can't bind it.

Any settings on either the router or phone that might allow the Samsung to choose 5GHz when connecting to the mesh node?

With your AC68U as a node you should use WPA2-Personal WIFI Authentication. I've run WPA2/WPA3-Personal while testing AX86U router with an AC66U_B1 mesh node (same firmware as the AC68U) and noticed some issues with clients. With the AC68U you will also be limited to the 5 GHz channels you can use. For about $100 I picked up a refurbished AX58U from Amazon that better matches the abilities of the AX86U.
Also, you did factory reset the AC68U after switching back to Asus firmware?

I was already using WPA2-Personal and I did factory reset the AC68U after loading the Asus stock firmware.

Issues will always arise with random/different client equipment when mixing AX and AC class routers in an AiMesh setup.

I suggest using the AC class router in Media Bridge mode if you have wired clients that can take advantage of it.

Otherwise, I would not have it in the network.