What's new

AiMesh Node Switch Ports

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eJC

Regular Contributor
I have set up AiMesh on a GT-AXE11000 as the Mesh Router and a GT-AC5300 as a Mesh Node.

I tried plugging some TV STB devices (FireTV, AppleTV, and Xbox) into the AC5300, but it doesn't appear the switch ports work on the AC5300 (when in Mesh Node mode?). The AC5300 is using ethernet backhaul.

Is that the expected behavior?

I have set up AiMesh on a GT-AXE11000 as the Mesh Router and a GT-AC5300 as a Mesh Node.

I tried plugging some TV STB devices (FireTV, AppleTV, and Xbox) into the AC5300, but it doesn't appear the switch ports work on the AC5300 (when in Mesh Node mode?). The AC5300 is using ethernet backhaul.

Is that the expected behavior?

AiMesh wired LAN and wireless WLANs are operable on all nodes, root and remote. So, something is not right.

Did you reset the AC5300 firmware to its factory defaults and then add it as a node from within the AXE11000 webUI?

Also try wiring only one client to the AC5300 in case a bad cable or client adapter is messing with the LAN ports.

Do you have something else on your LAN interfering with the router's DHCP function?

OE

Reactions: eJC
AiMesh wired LAN and wireless WLANs are operable on all nodes, root and remote. So, something is not right.

Did you reset the AC5300 firmware to its factory defaults and then add it as a node from within the AXE11000 webUI?

Also try wiring only one client to the AC5300 in case a bad cable or client adapter is messing with the LAN ports.

Do you have something else on your LAN interfering with the router's DHCP function?

OE

I did the reset prior to the configuration as an AI mesh node. I switched the devices to use wireless, since the node is right there anyway, I'm comfortable with the bandwidth and latency differences (very little in practical terms). But glad you confirmed that it should have worked.

I did the reset prior to the configuration as an AI mesh node. I switched the devices to use wireless, since the node is right there anyway, I'm comfortable with the bandwidth and latency differences (very little in practical terms). But glad you confirmed that it should have worked.

To be clear, a remote node is not configured by the user... simply reset it and then add it to the AiMesh. The router/root node will configure the remote node automatically.

OE

Reactions: eJC
To be clear, a remote node is not configured by the user... simply reset it and then add it to the AiMesh. The router/root node will configure the remote node automatically.

OE

The process of adding the AiMesh node (by ensuring it is factory reset, placed within 10 feet of the AiMesh router, and then "configured") to the AiMesh router is what I call configuring the AiMesh node. Are you actually using switch ports on an AiMesh node?

The process of adding the AiMesh node (by ensuring it is factory reset, placed within 10 feet of the AiMesh router, and then "configured") to the AiMesh router is what I call configuring the AiMesh node. Are you actually using switch ports on an AiMesh node?

I can add my remote node 77' away from the router... saves moving it around.

Yes, I have an ATA (VoIP) wired to my remote node for an analog phone in a detached garage, and I occasionally wire a desktop PC and laptop PC to it. Plus two cameras and mobile phones and tablets connect to its WLANs.

The LAN/switch ports and WLANs work on remote AiMesh nodes... just like with traditional repeaters and access points and media bridges.

OE

I can add my remote node 77' away from the router... saves moving it around.

Wow. That's interesting. I tried configuring (initializing/setting up) mine AImesh node about 25' from the router and it failed twice. I tried it 5' from the AiMesh router and no problems. I guess this is a true case of your mileage may vary.

I have a GT-AC5300 as my AiMesh node and a GT-AXE11000 ad my AiMesh router. The AXE11000 has a WiFi6e radio and the GT-AC5300 does not. I manually configured the SSIDs (not using SmartConnect) so that I can bind devices to particular radios (2.4, 5, and 6gHz).

Oddly, my 6e SSID is mirrored on the AC5300 as if it was a 5gHz radio. So this is confusing, but not a show stopper.

Do you let SmartConnect determine your SSIDs? Do you manually select your radio channels or do you allow the router to determine this?

What I am really interested in doing is manually changing the 5gHz low band channel. I can log into the AiMesh router and update the channels for that device, but it appears that the AiMesh node kept the original channel configuration. Any suggestions?

Wow. That's interesting. I tried configuring (initializing/setting up) mine AImesh node about 25' from the router and it failed twice. I tried it 5' from the AiMesh router and no problems. I guess this is a true case of your mileage may vary.

I have a GT-AC5300 as my AiMesh node and a GT-AXE11000 ad my AiMesh router. The AXE11000 has a WiFi6e radio and the GT-AC5300 does not. I manually configured the SSIDs (not using SmartConnect) so that I can bind devices to particular radios (2.4, 5, and 6gHz).

Oddly, my 6e SSID is mirrored on the AC5300 as if it was a 5gHz radio. So this is confusing, but not a show stopper.

Do you let SmartConnect determine your SSIDs? Do you manually select your radio channels or do you allow the router to determine this?

What I am really interested in doing is manually changing the 5gHz low band channel. I can log into the AiMesh router and update the channels for that device, but it appears that the AiMesh node kept the original channel configuration. Any suggestions?

What I do is documented here:

OE