What's new

AIMesh oddness

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jgranto

New Around Here
I have an RT-AC5300 triband router and an RT-AC68 node. This setup seemed to work fine. However, I added an RT-AC3100 (dual band) node to the mix and things got add. After adding the RT-AC3100, the AIMesh decided to use 5GHz-2 as the backhaul. I see the 5GHz-1 SSID throughout the house, it works great, as does the 2GHz SSID. However, when I look at the clients on the RT-AC5300, there are no clients connected on 5GHz-1.

In fact, if I turn off both mesh nodes, the 5GHz-1 SSID is not broadcast from the RT-AC3100. I am assuming something is going on with a triband router connecting to dual band nodes. I still want my RT-AC5300 to use 5GHz-1 and handle wireless clients. What do I need to do?

Thanks!

I ended up resetting all routers but the main one (RT-AC5300), remaking the AiMesh, and everything works correctly. In fact, because of how cheap they are, I bought a second RT-AC3100 on eBay and added it.

Overall, AiMesh seems pretty good. There is definitely a bit of a handoff delay between nodes - this is not so noticeable with when doing "normal computer" things, but is definitely noticeable if you enable calling over WiFi on your phone. I do not have a lot of experience with other meshes, but this seems decent.

If you are used to the Asus router interface, you will be at home with AiMesh. It is just a few extra screens of info. I think you would find it way easier than your existing setup of having 3 routers with different SSIDs.

AiMesh does allow you to configure one SSID for all frequencies, like many other systems. I do not use that feature - I have read that sometimes devices will prioritize the lower-bandwidth 2.4GHz signal over the higher-bandwidth 5GHz signal, even if 5GHz signal is strong. I therefore have 2 SSID's - one 2.4GHz, one 5GHz. But for simplicity, you could try out a single SSID and see how you like it.

Ideally I would add a wired backhaul, but I am not interested in that for my current house. You may want to consider it - it will prevent you from losing a radio to dedicated backhaul.

If money is an issue, I recommend you would buy 2+ RT-AC3100 units on eBay for $50 - $80 each and go AiMesh. It will provide a much nicer experience, I think. If money is no issue, I would recommend the high-end Orbi RBK853. Sure, the RBK853 has issues, but so do all units, and I like it the best.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!