1. Post filters have been ramped up due to high spam activity. If your post is marked for moderation, be patient. A moderator will review and release it as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AiMesh on the T-Mobile TM-AC1900

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by DHume, Oct 20, 2017.

1. DHume

DHume New Around Here

[Moderator note: Posts prior to 8 Jan 10 2018 were moved here from other threads, so may appear out of context. Please report posts I may have missed and I'll move them here. Thanks, Tim]
    Hello,

I'm currently running the latest 18000-g9564ee7 firmware on two TM-AC1900 units I own. I am unable to find any AiMesh nodes when searching. This problem has persisted across all 3 beta firmwares I've flashed. I've tried both wireless and ethernet connections but the router cannot see any nodes. I've tried alternating which unit is the router. I've tried dozens of resets using the hardware buttons and tried using the reset built into the Asus GUI.

Since the TM-AC1900 is equivalent to an RT-AC68u I'm wondering if the AiMesh search is limited by certain MAC addresses or some other indicator.

Has anyone has any success with AiMesh and converted TM-AC1900s?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2018
    Adam likes this.
  2. Carbon658

Carbon658 New Around Here

I am experiencing this same issue.

Adam likes this.
  3. iceorbital

iceorbital Occasional Visitor

sorry if i'm stating the obvious, but you factory reset the node after upgrading and did not touch it at all right? In previous betas, i found the pairing process (with my ac86u) hit and miss, i think at some point i also factory reset the main router. Some also said turning on WPS was a requirement at some point. You might as well give all those things a try

4. DHume

DHume New Around Here

No amount of resetting helps the router see a node. I’ve been very thorough with regards to resetting the units repeatedly for hours on end. Also tried uploading the beta firmware through recovery mode.

I believe the AiMesh node search procedure is deliberately ignoring the converted TM-AC1900 units.

5. goggles99

goggles99 Occasional Visitor

Will this work on the RT-AC68R and T-mobile TM-AC1900 (once flashed to RT-AC68U) model variants?
    Thank you

6. BatKing

BatKing Occasional Visitor

Maybe more details can help others to answer. I also own a TM-AC1900 and watching this thread only. so can't help you much. but I assume your unit is 100% converted to an ac68u including the cfe? which version of the cfe you used? and what version of firmware you was on before installing aimesh?

7. nightanole

nightanole Occasional Visitor

merlin 380.68_4

uboot 1.0.20

the tm-ac900 comes with uboot 2.0 or something.

Adam likes this.
  8. jayhawknative

jayhawknative New Around Here

Same issue here. I have two TMo units I flashed over to stock (and were fully upgraded to public firmware) in the past year. This AM I upgraded both to the 10/12 beta release without a problem. I factory reset both (even though you apparently only have to do the node), then unplugged what would be the secondary. Setup the SSID on the Master, as well as my DHCP reservations. No matter what I do to the secondary - factory reset through software, or through holding down button, doing 20/20/20, whatever - I can't get it to show up in the AiMesh scans. Boo...

9. Sanna1967

Sanna1967 Occasional Visitor

Useless with Asus wrt firmware if you want to wipe nvram
    Turn off the router, press the WPS button , then turn on the router. Wait about 15 seconds, then release the WPS button.

L&LD likes this.
  10. jayhawknative

Is there *anyone* who has flashed the TMobile units over to stock and has successfully gotten AiMesh working? Just wondering if I should even bother trying anymore. I do have 2 Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO units arriving from B&H Monday. If I could get the AiMesh going with my two 68u units I was going to refuse delivery.

11. nightanole

Not to piss in your cheerios, but you do realize that the 2 ubiquitis wont "mesh" without a pc running the host software correct? There is no difference between running 2 converted tmobile units, with roaming assist running, and 2 unifi's running without a controller.

I have a very long house. I have 2 converted tmobile units(100ft of cat6a connecting them), one setup as a router and the other setup as an AP. Both have the same ssid, different channels, and roaming assist tuned. I have no problem with streaming media walking from one side of the house to the other, with the 5hz handing off to the other mid house.

Honestly im not even sure if Aimesh is much better than just manually setting up multiple APs like i did, IF there is a wired connection between them.

12. jayhawknative

Although I believe I read having the controller always available for Ubi is only necessary for the guest/captive portal (which I don't care about) - mesh will work fine without it always on (confirmed: per https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi...ithout-UniFi-controller-software/td-p/1866126 - since I'm doing wired backhaul, I'm good) - I have plenty of always-on boxes, including a freenas setup, that I can stick it on.

That setup is exactly how I've had my two units going for the past 10+ months. The handoff isn't always smooth in my experience - we're using one of just about everything: macbooks, iphones, android phone, ipad/galaxy tabs, apple tvs, fire tvs, chromecast, you name it.

If that setup fully checked the box, you wouldn't see so many people hungry for mesh solutions, properly implementing 802.11k 802.11r 802.11v to get "zero-handoff" is a big part of that.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  13. jayhawknative

Yup, played with RA limits as well as radio strengths a few months ago, got tired of messing with it.

If I can't get AiMesh working by Monday, I'll just install the Ubiquitis, leaving one of my TM units as my router only (not a fan of having my router/firewall be an AP anyway, especially with a gigabit net connection) and sell the other TM unit.

For $220, the two Ubiquiti units will kick ass and give me a lot of enterprise level functionality.

14. nightanole

Yea i really like the UAP-AC-PRO. If you can get it high enough (installed in abandoned chimney) i can still get 10-15mbs an acre a way. I need a router as an AP in my situation since i need an AP and a few wired connections to the onboard switch (server in garage etc).

15. Carbon658

Carbon658 New Around Here

These are the instructions I used to convert my TM-AC1900 to RT-ac68u:

http://www.bayareatechpros.com/ac1900-to-ac68u/

I have the 18000 firmware on both and have done multiple WPS resets. Any info we can provide to help find a solution?

Adam likes this.
  16. Adam

Adam Occasional Visitor

Same here (3 converted TM units according to the guide above, and on the 18000 firmware). It looks like no matter what I try, the nodes don't show up. I tried on the earlier firmwares too.

17. vicantu

vicantu Occasional Visitor

Mee too, I have two TM1900 converted to ac68u, installed the latest beta on both (10/12) and the node doesn't show up.

Any help would be appreciated :)

18. goggles99

goggles99 Occasional Visitor

You need to update the CFE with the one found in the the AiMesh TRX file (open with 7Zip) \rom\cfe\cfe_1.0.2.0.bin

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  19. nightanole

Hmm. The file sizes are different. the normal 1.0.2.0 that is given out for the last 2 years is 231923 bytes, the one supplied by the trx is 231882 bytes.

now i need to go back and learn how to manually change the mac etc on cfe before reflashing....

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  20. Adam

Adam Occasional Visitor

Any idea if it would auto-flash if 1.0.2.1 was there?