1. Post filters have been ramped up due to high spam activity. If your post is marked for moderation, be patient. A moderator will review and release it as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AiMesh on the T-Mobile TM-AC1900

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by DHume, Oct 20, 2017.

1. gtirsmiley

gtirsmiley New Around Here

Look at the post on page 9 by Roberto Cazzaro

He answered my question which should help you as well.

Tbod likes this.
  2. Ronald Schwerer

Ronald Schwerer Regular Contributor

You've got it. The "fixed" CFE only needs to be on the unit serving the router role in the AiMesh, but it can be installed on all the TM branded units.
    Save yourself a lot of reading and jump to the fix here -> AiMesh on the T-Mobile TM-AC1900

Tbod likes this.
  3. Ronald Schwerer

OK, what kind of B.S. is going on here? Why does my above post require moderator approval?
    I see a banner saying "This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors".
    And yesterday I had posts blocked until I removed some shell commands on how to dump nvram to a file.

UPDATE: Well it's finally been released. Jeeezzz, you'd think it was the Pentagon Papers. There's no reason why it was help up for ~1 hr. I'm a mod on a board will more than 110,000 registered users and I can't image what the hell is going on here.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  4. Ronald Schwerer

Sorry Tbod - see post #100 in this thread.

Tbod likes this.
  5. Tbod

Tbod New Around Here

Thanks for the tip!

6. Stephen Harrington

Stephen Harrington Regular Contributor

Do let us all know if you find out please!

StephenH

7. panetguy

panetguy New Around Here

What is the big difference between taking two converted RT-AC68U's and making it router and access point vs aimesh? Is it the handing off is suppose to be better with a mesh network? I am building my network and I have one converted RT-AC68U, going to add a second. After reading this thread, it looks like I might be better if I held off on upgrading to the aimesh firmware? What if I just ran in router/access point mode? I remember reading somewhere that someone ran like this, and if you use the same ssid it will hand off between routers? Thanks

8. Ronald Schwerer

Depending on how you use mobil wireless devices and your physical environment - not much difference. I thought I'd give AiMesh a try but I'm near deciding to pull the plug. Definitely not a rock-solid setup. I found if I just leave it alone and not change settings, it is much more stable.

9. JohnL99

JohnL99 Occasional Visitor

I think you're correct that the handoff is supposed to work better with AiMesh. I have noticed in the past that a client device in a router/AP setup like you're talking about will have to almost completely lose a signal before it will roam and look for a better signal. You could be standing right next to an AP and the client will stubbornly refuse to connect to it because it can still just barely connect to another AP or the router. ASUS has a setting called 'Roaming Assistant' that disconnects a client if the signal goes below a certain level. I'd imagine that the downside of that would be you could be in a location that was not covered by an AP, but the main router would 'dump' the client because the signal was too low. It's possible that AiMesh is supposed to be a more elegant solution. The impression I get is that the primary router in AiMesh kind of decides which radio a given device will be connected to.

Right now it seems to be working for me with only one node. I don't need more than that to cover my house so I won't add more. Like Ronald, it seems to work better if I just leave it alone.

10. panetguy

panetguy New Around Here

When I converted my router, I used the bayarea instructions for the CFE and used "1.0.2.0 US". Then when I got everything going, I let the router upgrade it's firmware to 3.0.0.4.384_10007. I notice aimesh is available, but I am not using it yet. Now, I notice that the CFE tool I used at https://cfeditor.pipeline.sh/ has a "1.0.2.0 US Aimesh" option. Is my setup going to give me issues? I'm not sure the difference between the CFE and the firmware. I have the latest aimesh firmware, but when I did the CFE step, the Aimesh wasn't available.

11. smithduluth

smithduluth New Around Here

One big difference in operation with Goggles99 CFE is that you can no longer blow past changing the password, at least with Merlin 380.69. When testing I would leave it at admin/admin, but now I no longer can, I am forced to set it..

12. Roberto Cazzaro

Roberto Cazzaro New Around Here

The 1.0.2.0 US Aimesh option in the online CFE editor was added in the last few hours.... was not there when I checked this morning :)

So, yeah, now that it's there, it makes it even easier to convert your AC1900 to a "full AC68U including AiMesh"... follow bayareatechpro instructions choosing that CFE over the standard US, and you will have a fully working setup

If you have the standard US CFE (1.0.2.0), even if you see the option to enable AiMesh, the router and the node will not be able to see each other (i.e. when you try to enable AiMesh, it won't actually work). We still don't know exactly what setting in the CFE is responsible for the problem, but the 1.0.2.0 US CFE does not have the right settings for AiMesh, even if it has everything else like an AC68U

If you don't need AiMesh (I don't, since my two AC68U are connected via ethernet), you can use the standard 1.0.2.0 US without problems. I might want to try AiMesh in the future, but reading thru all the posts, it seems to have a bit too many problems for me to use now

13. Bigtrout

Bigtrout New Around Here

I think im giving up on ai mesh. The node goes "offline" but really isnt offline, but until a reboot you cant see anything that the node does even though it works and all deviced connected work ok. I have better luck with the other router as a repeater or access point. If I want mesh ill buy a mesh system from a company that isnt offering it as an "experiment"

14. Roberto Cazzaro

The idea has potential, just not ready for first time. There's no reason why a powerful router like an AC68U with 3 separate bands cannot be a good mesh solution, it just needs some more "baking time" before it becomes a truly reliable solution. Asus offers Lyra as a mesh, so they know how to make one that works. They have been very ambitious in trying to offer a solution for existing routers, and supporting many heterogeneous nodes in a mesh. I'm especially impressed by their willingness to add significant features to existing routers, instead of forcing the user to buy a completely new solution. I ended up buying Asus routers over time because of all the vendors, they are the ones with the best support for legacy hardware (updates, especially security, and now new features)

15. Roberto Cazzaro

16. Tbod

Tbod New Around Here

ALL FYI

The online CFE Editor https://cfeditor.pipeline.sh/ Seems to have been updated. There is now a 3rd option, 1.0.2.0 US AiMesh

I'll give it a try tomorrow and see how it works out. My procrastination may have just been rewarded. ;)

17. Bigtrout

Bigtrout New Around Here

I looked at the file they have loaded as the AImesh 1.0.2.0, it is the Goggles99 file.

Tbod likes this.
  18. Tbod

Tbod New Around Here

Great News! Makes the job of reprogramming these 3 routers that much easier. ;)

19. panetguy

panetguy New Around Here

If we want to give aimesh a try, when doing the conversion, use the Aimesh 1.0.2.0 CFE, but what firmware? Still use FW_RT_AC68U_30043763626.trx and then just let router upgrade it's firmware automatically?

20. JohnL99

JohnL99 Occasional Visitor

Just download the firmware from ASUS and load it manually https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_BIOS/. The current version for the RT-AC68U is 3.0.0.4.384.10007.