1. Post filters have been ramped up due to high spam activity. If your post is marked for moderation, be patient. A moderator will review and release it as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AiMesh on the T-Mobile TM-AC1900

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by DHume, Oct 20, 2017.

1. goggles99

goggles99 Occasional Visitor

My setup is using two converted TM-AC1900s as nodes and a RT-AC68R as the master. It appears to have only been a coincidence that it connected only after I updated the CFE's on the nodes (since some others have reported having to reset several times before succeeding and others using TM-AC1900s as nodes with no mention of a CFE update). This is curious though, isn't all identifying data in the CFE (such as mac addresses, secret code and even serial number). It seems like the nodes would not work in AiMesh either if the FW was purposefully not working (If this was Asus's intention, they would cripple the FW completely - even the non AiMesh one). Probably just a glitch in the firmware. I will do some more investigating. It would be interesting to sniff some packets off of the wire while pairing a working backhauled setup (vs a T-mobile mastered AiMesh pairing attempt).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  2. Carbon658

Carbon658 New Around Here

I am attempting to use two converted tm-ac1900s. And would be happy to try and get you any data that would be helpful. Just need some instruction. I'm currently using Google Wi-Fi but miss the features of my rt-ac86u.

3. frumper15

frumper15 New Around Here

I am using a RT-AC68W as my router and attempting to use a converted TM-AC1900 as the node. I was able to get it to show in the list of available node, but at 99% it would fail and say it couldn't be added for some reason. I reset NVRAM and factory reset a couple of times and now it's not appearing at all. I'll keep trying and keep my fingers crossed. I'll attempt to factory reset my router and see if that allows connecting but this is closer than I got with two converted TM units.

UPDATE: After resetting my router via the web gui (vs hardware buttons) to factory settings and then re-inputting my configuration I was able to add my converted TM-AC1900 into a mesh without issue.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  4. effortless

effortless Regular Contributor

Has anyone got a converted TM-AC1900 working even in the normal repeater mode? I'm trying to get my AC68U(converted from TM-AC1900) to work as a repeater and after going through the setup with this firmware, it doesn't have any internet access. I have an RT-AC3100 as the main router.

5. Adam

Adam Occasional Visitor

/ # /usr/sbin/amas-utils-cli
    available commands :
    ver - amas-utils library version.
    get - Get amas configure.
    set - Set amas configure.
    / # /usr/sbin/amas-utils-cli ver
    amas-utils/1.0.0.13 json-c/0.12.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2j
    / # /usr/sbin/amas-utils-cli get cost
    usage : -v -b -c [-d]
    -v : interface name
    -b : wireless band mode (0:2.4GHz, 1:5GHz, 2:5GHz-1)
    -c : wireless 5G capability (2:dual band, 3:tri band)
    -m : interface mac address (ex.00:12:3e:ff:ff:01)
    -d : show debug message

6. EBourlet

EBourlet New Around Here

Put this on 2 TM-1900s can't get mesh to work as has been reported. But I also can't get the regular repeater function to work with this firmware. I am able to get the repeater mode to work with Version 3.0.0.4.380.7743. I'm new to all this and appreciate all the work the devs put into getting these betas out. Is there any thoughts or interest on the part of the devs to get this working on a TM version? I'm a beginner at this ,but have two that are not in service yet so if I can provide any info that would help let me know

Adam likes this.
  7. Adam

Adam Occasional Visitor

It looks like not only Repeater, but also Media bridge mode is broken on RT-AC68U (using US CFE) with the beta (RT-AC68U_9.0.0.4_382_x) firmware. In my tests the router was unable to connect to my other wifi AP, and it was showing WAN disconnected. I think that this issue started on 3004_382.

I tried it last night with bunch of different CFE versions, even tried it with such an old CFE that the firmware flashed 1.0.2.0. When I reverted to the latest 3.0.0.4.380.7743_FBWIFI (the one with facebook stuff built in), and everything worked, but no AiMesh... :-(

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  8. DHume

DHume New Around Here

I also struggled for hours with no success to get Media Bridge to work on the converted TM-AC1900 routers.

9. mcknlykvn

mcknlykvn New Around Here

Played a little more with two converted TM-1900's to the 18000 firmware. For many attempts it looked like nothing was happening when attempting to add a new node when starting the AiMesh search. I then played with repeater mode (with little success) then switch it back to Router mode (without reset) and attempted AiMesh again using device (#1) as the AiMesh Router.

The node (#2) is freshly software reset and specify as for AiMesh Node and then when prompted I switch to the AiMesh router (#1) and, differently this time, the AiMesh search was started automatically (redirected to http://router.asus.com/index.asp?flag=AMesh&id=MAC_OF_NODE) and I am given a pop-up with the MAC address of the node and if I want to add it, but it says to wait until the node is ready. During this the node (#2) power light is fast blinking on 1 second on/off intervals. The pop-up on the router (#1) side never gives me a confirmation option and it all eventually times out with no node addition.

Adam likes this.
  10. yugi

yugi Occasional Visitor

I'm running 2 TM-AC1900 as a nodes, but my primary router is a RT-AC1900P, and I was able to connect those to to the AiMesh. Sometimes they disappear though, but still work for wired, and I need to reboot them from time to time, then they reappear.

11. 45Wheelgun

45Wheelgun New Around Here

Gentleman - Thanks for the informative thread. I thought I would share my experience. I have successfully connected my TM-AC1900 (RT-AC68U) to my RT-AC68W in a AiMesh configuration - thanks to the insight provided here.

I initially had them connected together in an Access Point Mode configuration via 75 foot CAT6 Ethernet cable. Both Units flashed to 18000 with no problems. (actually both did one revision earlier as well because 18000 came out during this process). I gave up attempting to configure via wired connection and proceeded to connect via wireless.

I have read here that people have problems getting the primary router to "see" the node. I never experienced this after any reset to default. My primary (AC68W) always would identify the node by Model and MAC address and then fail to connect. Once it failed, the the primary could no longer "see" the node when I attempted a second or third time.

After re-reading this thread several times, I did hardware reset to both units (reset button, followed up with booting while holding WPS button). I connected to my AC68W via wireless and did a factory reset via software following up with the ROM based setup. I kept that open in a tab in Chrome while switching wireless connection to the AC68U opening it's setup in a new chrome tab. A ROM based factory reset to the node, followed by the node's ROM base setup. I followed the bouncing ball until it told me to reconnect to the primary and search for the node. I switched wireless connections told the AC68U and it popped up the connection box as soon as I logged in (no intervention on my part) and immediately connected to the node.

I don't know if my step by step above will help anyone else - but I figured it couldn't hurt for you to try.

Now that I have it successfully connected, how to I switch it to a wired connection rather than wireless?

Regards,
    Dave

12. DHume

DHume New Around Here

Hey @Wilson_Deng,

With so many posts about AiMesh not performing on the TM-AC1900 routers, I was hoping you would address this issue. Do you have any advice for us?

13. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

The TM-AC1900 is maintained by T-Mobile. If you modify yours to flash the RT-A68U firmware, then it's not something supported by Asus.

iceorbital likes this.
  14. iceorbital

iceorbital Occasional Visitor

my thoughts exactly :)

15. DHume

DHume New Around Here

With all of your experience, what would be your guess as to why two converted TM-AC1900's cannot see one another through AiMesh except in the case where at least one Asus branded unit is used?

16. RMerlin

Asus has some proprietary device model validation code in the firmware - it could possibly be triggered here (not the exact same device ID). Or, there could be some slight hardware/CFE differences between a real RT-AC68U or a TM-AC1900.

17. bits

bits Regular Contributor

Buy a rt-ac68u?

18. DHume

DHume New Around Here

Helpful. :rolleyes:

That’s what they are internally. I was looking for more of “this is a bug” or “we have intentionally crippled this support on third party branded hardware, so give up.”

I’m not sure where the hostility comes from in wanting to make use of the three units I already own. I wouldn’t waste my money on a new AC68u when there are true mesh solutions out there.

The most activity this thread has seen is from users of these rebranded AC68u units. Why wouldn’t you want their support in beta testing this software?

vicantu and Adam like this.
  19. RMerlin

Depends on the legal details of Asus and T-Mobile's contract.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

20. goggles99

goggles99 Occasional Visitor

Was a new contract signed for a 4 year old router that T-Mobile no longer sells and liquidates wherever possible? Hardly likely. If there is some legal stipulation in the original contract, why would the Asus provided firmware ever have worked to flash the device back to an AC68U? (people have been doing it for years and through many updates after all). I don't see any logical reasoning that would suggest any reason why there would be any motivation toward a purposeful effort to exclude the TM-1900.