1. Post filters have been ramped up due to high spam activity. If your post is marked for moderation, be patient. A moderator will review and release it as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AiMesh on the T-Mobile TM-AC1900

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by DHume, Oct 20, 2017.

1. iceorbital

iceorbital Occasional Visitor

with all due respect, perhaps the hostility is because is a tad off topic ;)

2. yugi

yugi Occasional Visitor

I noticed that if I have two nodes, then they usually disappear from AiMesh GUI, after I reboot them, they reappear for a few minutes, then disappear again, but they continue to work for wired hosts. They are both wired to the main router. After I removed one node, I always see the remaining one with no issues. Both of my nodes are AC68U converted from TM-AC1900.

3. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

Notice that CFE hacking is required to do so.

4. Adam

Adam Occasional Visitor

Gents, let's stick to the facts.

5. DHume

DHume New Around Here

What are the facts?

@Wilson_Deng ignored dozens of people trying to get this firmware to work. An informed response would go a long ways towards helping us understand this discrepancy.

@Wilson_Deng should reply and settle this.

6. Adam

Adam Occasional Visitor

7. iceorbital

iceorbital Occasional Visitor

The fact is you are running an un supported configuration at best, and at worse some hw that is different. I have tuned my car and I won’t make vw responsible if it breaks. Pay to play

8. Adam

Adam Occasional Visitor

So, you didn't turn your car into a tractor?

It's as simple as loading a different software on the same hardware. Besides that, both devices share the same FCC ID... Guess what that means. Even further, the mainboard says RT-AC68U, revision 1.80...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  9. goggles99

goggles99 Occasional Visitor

Calm down please. The New FW is supposed to be out any day. I'm sure if they want it to work with the TM-AC1900 then they will have fixed it. If not, we can work out the differences in the CFE. I dumped one from a real AC68U and I can incrementally replace values until I find one that it depends on. Another thing I was wondering was, how come the dumped TM-AC1900 CFE is 512 KB but the modified one needed to flash the AC68U FW is only 227 KB? What is missing there?

10. Shadowsteps

Shadowsteps New Around Here

I have one ac68r and one converted tmobile ac68u. Both updated to latest beta. Not working. Not even repeater works.

11. bits

bits Regular Contributor

Probably zeros to pad file to full flash size.

nightanole likes this.
  12. nightanole

nightanole Occasional Visitor

Im in the tmobile crowd, We have had like 3-4 revs, and none of them work with our $50 routers :p

It doesnt help that broadcom kernels are set in stone when the silicon first gets stamped.

Spawn32 likes this.
  13. goggles99

Since many of you have asked me, Here is the CFE that I used to get two TM-AC1900s working with the new AiMesh Firmware. I only had to write it to the master/router, not the node.

Brief instructions (you will have to re-configure the router after this process because you have to do a nvram erase/factory reset):
    1. Log in to router
    2. Go to Administration > System > Enable SSH > Yes > Apply
    3. Open Putty and WinSCP and connect them to 192.168.1.1 using a admin : admin or admin : password (or whatever you may have changed it to)
      Tip: In WinSCP select SCP as file protocol, in Putty SSH
    4. In putty type:
      cat /dev/mtd0 > backup_cfe.bin
    5. In WinSCP refresh the window on the right side and note that backup_cfe.bin is present
    6. Copy backup_cfe.bin to a local drive as a backup
    7. Download the cfe_from_ac68u.bin file from the link above
    8. Open the CFE with a hex editor or CFEEdit.
      Modify the WAN Mac address and secret code as I have zeroed them out
      Important: If you are going to put this CFE on more than one router on a common network, you should edit all the MAC addresses in the CFE so there are no duplicates on your local network.
    9. Upload the edited CFE to router through WinSCP
    10. Upload mtd-write to router through WinSCP (Found HERE)
    11. In Putty type:
      chmod u+x mtd-write
    12. In Putty type:
      ./mtd-write cfe_from_ac68u.bin boot
    13. In Putty type:
      mtd-erase2 nvram
    14. In Putty type:
      reboot

14. Taurusm01

Taurusm01 New Around Here

Thank you so much! Can you please confirm that the instructions are for a router that has already been flashed per the instructions in the link below, or for a OOTB T-Mobile AC-1900. http://www.bayareatechpros.com/ac1900-to-ac68u/
    I have bought 2 refurbished T-Mobile AC-1900 routers recently from ebay, and 1 T-Mobile AC-1900 router that I bought last year which is flashed per these insturctions and running on Merlin FW. Thanks!

15. Adam

Adam Occasional Visitor

It looks like you didn't change the other two mac addresses, anyway thanks! It worked for me. :)

16. vicantu

vicantu Occasional Visitor

Thank you!!
    Worked perfectly, now my 2 TM1900 routers are working aimeshedly
    :)

17. goggles99

I used this just as you are looking to (After converting them). I used the same instructions that you linked to (I even stole some of the steps for my little mini-guide).

Good luck

Stephen Harrington and Taurusm01 like this.
  18. jayhawknative

jayhawknative New Around Here

First of all, this worked for me, so a huge thank you goggles!

Now.. I want to know how/why this worked? Because the CFE I originally flashed on there way back to convert my two T-Mobile units would've been a CFE rip from a 68U, right? So what's the difference between that CFE bin and yours I wonder..

And it must not be the MAC, because I edited your .bin with my MACs, which I preserved from my original TM CFE as well.

Just a quick recap of what I did for anyone interested:

Upgraded both units to the latest beta firmware (9.0.0.4.382_18489 - from the new aimesh site posted above. Interestingly, I ran update check on one of the units for giggles and it actually pulled/installed a newer version than the 18489, but I manually flashed to the downloaded version afterwards and check for update no longer pulls anything new).

I have two of the TM units that I had flashed over a year ago or less. One was running as my router - the other was recently unplugged (using new Ubiquitis as my APs because I gave up on AiMesh ;). The unplugged one, I flashed goggles CFE (editing in my MACs and WPS Secret of course). I then backed up my running router config and restored it to the newly flashed unit, made sure it was working then swapped it in for my router. Made sure my Internet was working fine, etc. then I did a reset of my original router unit (just a reset, didn't flash new CFE, since apparently just the AiMesh master has to be "pure of heart").

Did the AiMesh scan and boom, it popped up and it seems to be working great for the past hour.

So yeah... again, what is the difference between your CFE dump and the ones provided elsewhere.

Taurusm01 likes this.
  19. jayhawknative

jayhawknative New Around Here

btw, I did dump both my old cfe and goggles to hex and do a diff just for fun (both are 1.0.2.0).. There are definitely differences beyond just the mac/secret.

One thing of interest is right after the secret code:

My "old" CFE:
    secret_code=xxxxxxxx odmpid=ASUS model=RT-AC68U ATEMODE=1 HW_ver=170 nospare=1
    secret_code=xxxxxxxx model=RT-AC68U ATEMODE=0 HW_ver=170 odmpid=RT-AC68U
    ^^ Goggles

The ATEMODE 1 vs 0, as well as the nospare=1 (there is no reference to "nospare" anywhere in Goggles' CFE). Also, his "odmpid" is RT-AC68U whereas mine was just "ASUS".

Interestingly, running 'nvram get odmpid' via ssh on both units pulls back a blank value.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Tbod and Taurusm01 like this.
  20. argeri

argeri Occasional Visitor

Thank you. Worked perfectly. I now have a 3 router mesh up and running (all TM-1900).
    So far it is working well.