1. Post filters have been ramped up due to high spam activity. If your post is marked for moderation, be patient. A moderator will review and release it as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AiMesh on the T-Mobile TM-AC1900

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by DHume, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Carbon658

Carbon658 New Around Here

OK so I may have gotten ahead of myself in my excitement to get this working.

I updated both of my converted TMs with the CFE that was linked and only adjusted the first MAC address that was listed on the back of the router.

I also updated both routers to the newest 9.0.0.4.382_18489 firmware. Unfortunately the router still doesn't see the node. I even tried editing the cfe.bin and changed the other MAC addresses to random ones thinking this might be problem but it still didn't work.

The real mistake that I made was not grabbing the backup_cfe.bin before running the nvram reset so that I had my original MAC addresses.

Any suggestions? I'm really impressed with how hard everyone is working to get these going, so thank you!

Edit 1: I actually updated them to the RT-AC68U_9.0.0.4_382_18943-g5cf14d5 firmware. So maybe that was the issue. Attempting to downgrade now.

Edit 2: Downgrading to the 9.0.0.4.382_18489 firmware did not work either. I'm up for trying any suggestions.

Edit 3: Also tried the 1.0.2.0 (US) ** CFE from here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-routers-cfe-dumps-collection.17793/ on the node and still no luck.

Edit 4: I actually found the original CFE for the node on an old laptop and put it on so that it should look like the original converted AC68U with the correct MACs. Still not finding it. So I suspect it is something with the master router.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  2. argeri

argeri Occasional Visitor

You probably need to get your CFE files updated to the one goggles99 provided in a previous post. Make sure you have unique MAC addresses on each router (all 3) in the CFE. I believe the 3rd MAC address is for the 5ghz band and the other 2 are the same as the one printed on the label located on the back of your router. Also make sure you have your WAN connected to primary when you set them up - I found that it would not link the nodes without the primary being connected to the WAN. If you use the CFE provided by goggles99 and update and install them correctly for each router and follow the instructions provided by ASUS when you download the AiMesh beta from their site it works. I have updated 3 TM-AC1900 and 1 is the primary and the other 2 are nodes and all seem to be working fine.

3. goggles99

goggles99 Occasional Visitor

FWIW, The first time I did this, my master modem was not connected to the internet in any way when adding a node. At first I though this may be the reason that it was working. I thought maybe some device info was being sent back to Asus when online and they were not authorizing the TM-AC1900s. I still wonder if they are sending some usage info back though because it seems to take a lot longer when adding a node if the master is not online.

4. goggles99

goggles99 Occasional Visitor

Are you doing a device reset after updating the CFE?

5. Taurusm01

Taurusm01 New Around Here

Thank you goggles99 and jayhawknative! I followed both your directions and was able set up Aimesh on my network with 2 TM AC-1900 routers. Everything has been working seamlessly for an hour now! BTW, I flashed it to the latest FW (18943).

6. cjake

cjake New Around Here

goggles99, thank you much!

This question goes out to anyone in the know - if it is too off-topic from this thread I'll start a new one.

My question: I too want to obtain a CFE dump from a genuine RT-AC68U in my possession, for use on a converted TM-AC1900. Does the hardware revision of the RT-AC68U I use to obtain the file matter, and if so, which hardware revisions can I use for these purposes?

7. QuackFu

QuackFu New Around Here

I had this exact same problem. I also used goggle99's cfe to update all of my devices (with all MAC addresses and secret individually updated) and followed his directions, but the router wasn't seeing the nodes. I finally figured out the fix (at least for me).

I had to reset the NVRAM on the nodes again (despite doing the mtd-erase2 nvram command earlier). This time I did the following (again, on the Nodes):
    Power off the device
    Wait 10 seconds
    Press and hold the WPS button for 10 seconds
    Continue pressing the WPS button and power on the device. Keep holding WPS for another 15-20 seconds until the power LED blinks fast.

Once that finished and it booted back up and all three LEDs were on (power and both WiFi), I then held the reset button for 5 seconds until the Power LED flashed slowly.

After doing all of that, the router started seeing the nodes that it wasn't seeing before.

Hopefully this works for you too. This was so frustrating....I spent hours trying different things until I did that as a last ditch effort and it worked.

8. nightanole

nightanole Occasional Visitor

I had to do an extra extra step. After i did all your stuff, it still didnt find it. So i connect with my phone to the default asus_5ghz ssid, and it asks me to make a default user name and password (mind you it never started the wizard). I did that, then went into admin and under settings/save/restore i selected reset to default. The router rebooted and boom, the main tm-1900 started seeing the node.

9. Roy2001

Roy2001 Occasional Visitor

Thanks for sharing! I followed your instruction and now it works with 2 TM-AC1900 routers.

10. MichaelMK

MichaelMK New Around Here

Hi @goggles99 thanks so much for putting this stepped process together! I updated the CFE on both of my TM1900 (converted to AC68U) routers based on the MAC and PIN that was on the back of each router. I had originally only updated the CFE on the main router, but it wasn't seeing the AiMesh node in the other router. So I updated both of them. Still no luck... latest AC68U firmware as I see the mesh settings on both routers, but no luck getting these things to connect when I, 'search' for a node. Does anyone have any thoughts on what it could be? I've reset, flashed vram so many times now and no luck... @Ronald Schwerer , I saw your response in the other thread. Could mine not be working because I used the MAC address listed on the back of the router when I updated the CFE? Is there a different MAC address I should be using?

Thanks in advance all!

11. Ronald Schwerer

Ronald Schwerer Regular Contributor

Did you patch all 3 macaddr in the CFE file? First two are the address on your sticker. Last one is sticker + 4 (hex). For example if the last hex digit on your sticker is 8, then the 3rd addr needs to end in C. Use HxD and search the "new" CFE for macaddr=

12. Ronald Schwerer

I flashed my router and node about eight hrs ago with no reset and no problems UNTIL I made a small change in the settings and everything went to shit. Still trying to piece it back together. My node wasn't working. I'm not sure it it was caused by the flash to 384, or the setting I changed in Wireless/Professional/2.4Ghz. I changed "Reducing USB 3.0 Interference" to Disable. After the reboot most of my old 2.4Ghz devices (which happened to be on my Guest network), lost connection. I changed it because that's what the release notes said to do to increase disk performance. Anyway, I finally got them all communicating after some reboots and setting it back to Enable.

So back to your question: I still haven't done a Factory Default reset on either Router or Node, and it looks like everything is working again.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    scjr likes this.
  13. scjr

scjr Regular Contributor

I’m on Merlin’s 382 beta 2, which is running great. Of course, the tinkerer in me wants to try 384. Maybe I won’t tempt fate. :D

Thanks for your feedback and glad you got everything figured out.

14. MichaelMK

MichaelMK New Around Here

Sure enough, that did it! Thanks @Ronald Schwerer ! Fortunately Asus released the firmware for my AC68P late this afternoon also. So I have all three up and running now. I'm testing them as I type this...

15. tul9033

tul9033 Occasional Visitor

OK I've spent entirely too much time trying to get this work. I have several converted TM-1900's that have been running the latest Merlin firmware with no issues. I did use goggles99 CFE and modified it with CFE Edit to change to my MAC's for 2 of my routers (used the mac's on the router label for 0mac and +4 for 1mac). I flashed version 3.0.0.4.384_10007 to both of these test routers and powered on holding WPS after confirming successful flash to clear NVRAM.
    Leaving everything at default I set SSID's for 2.4 and 5 GHz on router 1. Going to router 2 set it to node and let it go through the setup. Once complete I go back to router 1 and choose the AMAS setup. No routers are ever detected. I've gone though the setup process several times after resets with the same results.
    I've double and triple checked my MAC's on both routers with nvram show|grep macadd through putty. Both routers are using unique 0 and 1 MAC's.
    The only thing I can think of doing to rolling back to the Nov AIMESH firmware and see if that makes any difference. Can someone please provide a link to that firmware? These are 2 totally stand alone routers that are not connected to the internet and are within a few feet of each other. I'm just testing the concept and wanting them to see each other before proceeding on a larger scale. So far not getting past step 1!
    Thanks for any help or suggestions.

16. crandy2

crandy2 New Around Here

Try factory resetting router 2 and just leave it like that. That's what I had to do to get it to recognize my second router.

Sent from my LG-V940n using Tapatalk

17. Ronald Schwerer

By CFE Edit, are you referring to this CFE Editor ? https://cfeditor.pipeline.sh/ Because that won't create a CFE compatible with AiMesh - regardless what MACs are used. Maybe there's some other CFE editor I haven't used since I converted mine a long time ago using the above link. For AiMesh, I ended-up using HxD to copy/paste the MACs between my CFE files. Alternatively, the old CFE.EXE (windows command line app) works fine using goggles99's CFE as the new_cfe.bin target file.

Just wondering if that is why you can't see the nodes from the router.

ddtsmokey and brucemac like this.
  18. tul9033

I edited the original CFE uisng HxD, re-wrote it, ran mtd-erase2 nvram and reboot. When it came back up and I logged in I was prompted to change the password which I had never been asked to do previously. Did the same with router 2. I made no config changes on router 2 (did not set it as a node). Went back to router 1 and ran the search and BAM it found router 2. I made no config changes on router 2.
    So much thanks @Ronald Schwerer. Whether it was the CFE or not your suggestion fixed the problem.

19. Ronald Schwerer

I wrote this up in a thread on a different board on how to use a converted TM-AC1900 as an AiMesh router. Here is a less tedious way to patch goggles99 's CFE from the one grabbed from your router. Requires Windows. Googles99 CFE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tQpIjJZ47g-YL1ejFP21N7U4BESMhDk_/view
    How to edit the CFE for your (TM) RT-AC68U router.
    Here is a windows program (CFE.EXE) that will copy the three MAC addresses and secret code from one CFE file to another. This was used prior to the web-based CFE editor. It is pretty crude but works. Run it from a CMD window so you can see the text output. You need a working CFE for your router (named original_cfe.bin) and the CFE downloaded from goggles99 's posts (renamed to new_cfe.bin)
    • Copy CFE.exe into a directory along with original_cfe.bin and new_cfe.bin (files must be named exactly as shown).
    • Open a cmd window and go to the above directory.
    • Run CFE and it will extract the MACs and secret code from original_cfe.bin and update those values in new_cfe.bin. You can then flash new_cfe.bin in the same manner as in the your TM-AC1900 conversion tutorial.
    Always clear NVRAM after flashing CFE, Remember is will wipe out configs.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Tbod, tul9033 and brucemac like this.
  20. tul9033

@Ronald Schwerer Thanks for the CFE.exe instructions. I used the same util converting the TM-1900's, but never saw any confirmation it would work with the aimesh CFE mod.

ddtsmokey likes this.