What's new

AiMesh or APs instead?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Roy360360

Occasional Visitor
I have two AC68Ps in access point mode.
I use pfsense as main router.

Both AC68Ps running 386.7_2 by merlin.
Both access points have an ethernet backhaul to pfsense.

I currently have each setup with separate SSIDs, and on distinct channels. This works fine but sometimes I found my devices stuck on the weaker signal.

I like the idea of being able to roam between the access points under a mesh system.

When I try to find an AiMesh node, both routers are unable to find each other. Am I doing something wrong? do I need to enable the "ethernet backhaul" option on both routers? Do the SSIDs need to be the same?
1662084122085.png

Last edited:
AiMesh is a marketing name of wired access points or wireless repeaters. It won't improve anything in your setup. Just the opposite - with AiMesh you'll lose the ability to control individual wireless channels and Tx power on your routers. If your router runs pfSense, my advice to you is to replace the two routers with SMB class APs with native VLAN support. It will open whole new possibilities for network configurations to you. The cheapest solution is TP-Link Omada with EAP245v3 APs (3x3 AC Wave 2). You need Omada Controller (hardware or software) for better roaming between the APs. It's a night and day difference compared to what AiMesh has to offer. Omada APs can be used in stand-alone mode, but with some system functionality limitations. There is even cheaper option EAP225v3 (2x2 AC Wave 2), but they have a bit less range/sensitivity. You can also add wireless Omada APs, if you want to.

AiMesh node discovery is broken in Asuswrt-Merlin. Use stock Asuswrt. You don't need Asuswrt-Merlin on nodes/APs anyway.
Don't want to lose the ability to use custom scripts, so I can't revert :(.

AiMesh is a marketing name of wired access points or wireless repeaters. It won't improve anything in your setup. Just the opposite - with AiMesh you'll lose the ability to control individual wireless channels and Tx power on your routers. If your router runs pfSense, my advice to you is to replace the two routers with SMB class APs with native VLAN support. It will open whole new possibilities for network configurations to you. The cheapest solution is TP-Link Omada with EAP245v3 APs (3x3 AC Wave 2). You need Omada Controller (hardware or software) for better roaming between the APs. It's a night and day difference compared to what AiMesh has to offer. Omada APs can be used in stand-alone mode, but with some system functionality limitations. There is even cheaper option EAP225v3 (2x2 AC Wave 2), but they have a bit less range/sensitivity. You can also add wireless Omada APs, if you want to.
I already have VLANs working through custom scripts.
While native VLAN would definitely be nice, no reason to change it now while I already have it working

I know it's gimmicky, but I figured it would be worth it for the roaming.

I already have VLANs working through custom scripts.

Okay, in this case stay stay with your current configuration. AiMesh will break it. Play with individual routers Tx power and see if roaming improves. Try with roaming assistant is Wireless, Professional. Unfortunately, I found it not working on quite a few router models and firmware versions.

Glad to find this as I have an Asus RT-AX88U and trying to understand the best option to expand WIFI to the new backyard patio area. I do already have all rooms in the upstairs and then the downstairs living room hardwired, but we have multiple devices beyond TV's running on WIFI - especially all the smart bulbs and Lutron switches. So the wired configuration it appears these Access Points or even another Asus router running in AiMesh mode will not be an issue but it sounds like that is overkill maybe?

How difficult is it to install and configure these TP-Link UPs?

If you want to extend Wi-Fi to one area only and you already have an Asus router, perhaps the easiest and cheapest way is to get another Asus router for wired AiMesh. Something cheaper like RT-AX58U will do what you need. Folks around report success with even cheaper extender only RP-AX56, also AiMesh compatible. Entirely new UniFi/Omada Wi-Fi system will be better than AiMesh, but more expensive, will require more networking knowledge to setup and makes sense only if you start building a new system. Omada is perhaps the most user friendly, almost like home routers GUI settings.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!