What's new

AiMesh or Orbi/Amplifi HD

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Avelino

New Around Here
Hello everyone,

I currently have an ASUS AC68U which gives pretty much full coverage to my whole home, but I have experienced instability in my living room TV when I have 10+ clients connected and it is the furthest device I have located from where the router is.

I am unable to use an ethernet cable to put an AP so I am looking into either buying an ASUS AC86U and setting up ASUS AiMesh wirelessly using my current AC68U as the node downstairs or buying a whole new Mesh system as the NETGEAR Orbi or the Ubiquiti Amplifi HD, both of them will definlately cover my whole house.

I do not care about price difference at this point, I just want what some of the experts on this forums recomend as the best choice between the options I have been looking at. I am looking for best performance and stability possible from these systems.

I am extremely happy with the QoS management on the ASUS routers and I would very much like to have something similar in whatever options you guy recommend.

Before I posted I read this review https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33208-asus-aimesh-reviewed?limitstart=0 which is actually having me going more towards buying a new Mesh system, but I would very much like your guys' input.

My house is a 2 story 2400 sq ft home
My internet connection is 100/10 mbps

Thank you in advance!

do you have any RG6 cable in the walls near the router and the TV ?
If so look at a MOCA2 setup between the router and the TV. you can add an AP if you get a 5 port switch.

Or perhaps a power receptacle at each ? (chk the breakers for arc fault type)
If no AFBs, then try at least a AV2 ethernet over power to get a 5 port switch and an AP back by the TV.

Thank you so much for your answer!

do you have any RG6 cable in the walls near the router and the TV ?
If so look at a MOCA2 setup between the router and the TV. you can add an AP if you get a 5 port switch.
I do have a RG6 cable near the TV but not near the router, so this is not an option.

Or perhaps a power receptacle at each ? (chk the breakers for arc fault type)
If no AFBs, then try at least a AV2 ethernet over power to get a 5 port switch and an AP back by the TV.
My issue starts with the TV, but its not the only problem I have so I am not looking to just have the TV plugged into the network, i am also trying to get better WIFI coverage in the TV living room area, Isnt this a much complicated solution that the 3 options I am asking for? I am not sure if I will be able to do this.

How does the TV get signal to display - by cable out of the wall, by antenna (with a small cable to the TV) , or wireless ethernet ?

How does the TV get signal to display - by cable out of the wall, by antenna (with a small cable to the TV) , or wireless ethernet ?
The TV connects to my home network via WIFI, I do not have a way to put an ethernet cable that comes from my router to the living room, which is where the TV is.

I have paid cable TV service as well so the TV has an HD STB provided by the vendor.

However, I want to be able to stream 4K media without interruptions via WIFI. As I said before, I started noticing these issues with the TV, but whatever device is in the living room, close to the TV, will not get full signal and will have intermitent connectivity issues to my router. I am just trying to get better connectivity downstairs in the living room.