What's new

AiMesh - phones only disconnect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adambean

Regular Contributor
Hey all,

Have a GT5300, AC5300 and 66u B1 in a mesh setup. Everything is relatively stable, except on our phones (Note 8 and S8). Sometimes going from 2nd floor to basement our inside to outside, we lose internet but still remain on WiFi (wifi symbol shows an exclamation point).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hey all,

Have a GT5300, AC5300 and 66u B1 in a mesh setup. Everything is relatively stable, except on our phones (Note 8 and S8). Sometimes going from 2nd floor to basement our inside to outside, we lose internet but still remain on WiFi (wifi symbol shows an exclamation point).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I suspect the ! indicates poor or no WiFi signal, at least according to some threshold defined by the device. And thus, no Internet. You likely see the same indicator when you are in the presence of new WiFi you have not yet authenticated with.

I found this:

"On the s8, this is what the ! is intended for. When your signal is too low, it will stop it until it is good enough quality. Deemed by whatever dbm Samsung has set. It only disconnects when smart network switch is turned on. When it is turned off, you will still get the ! Which is just saying that the connection is not favorable and will be slow, so you should move closer to the router."

So, you could use a WiFi Analyzer app to survey the WiFi signal strength in your ! areas. And, look for a Samsung Smart Network switch to turn OFF. And, perhaps adjust your node coverage.

OR it's something else! :)

OE

Hey all,

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Could you send feedback with system log ,wifi log by feedback function ?

Thanks, should have specified. The signal is always very strong. Even when walking back to a stronger area, exclamation remains with no connectivity. Disconnecting and reconnecting immediately fixes the problem.

It's almost as if when I jump routers that I lose my connection but only sometimes..

Thanks, should have specified. The signal is always very strong. Even when walking back to a stronger area, exclamation remains with no connectivity. Disconnecting and reconnecting immediately fixes the problem.

It's almost as if when I jump routers that I lose my connection but only sometimes..

Ah, strong signal rules that out.

Have you tried forgetting and remaking the connection?

And it doesn't happen to other wireless clients, just those two?

OE

They're the only two devices that we roam the house with no other devices have any connectivity issues. So it seems to be something with a bad hop between routers?

try to disable airtime fairness 2G and 5G to see if it will help and universal beamforming as well.

So perfect example.

Took dog outside, lost internet (got exclamation point but still well within range.

Came back inside perfectly strong signal, exclamation remains ... No internet. Disconnected/reconnected, all is well.

Looking now for airtime fairness and beamforming.

use a Wifi analyzer or for PC acrylic wifi home and look whether all routers use exactly same channels and SSID on 2G and 5G. Maybe one got different region setting and so not working as it should.

Also appears that disabling airtime fairness and/or universal beamforming is kicking my Ac66u B1 out as a node? Had to manually reset the router rejoin, re-applied the settings and it was kicked out again?

think you have to wait for better AiMesh support in future firms to solve your problems.
It still is quite beta, for some its already working enough.

Take a look at your router channels. I was seeing this and it looked like the router was changing primary channel on 5G from like 40 to 36, etc (due to interference or too many networks in the vicinity) and at that point I was getting the exclamation mark and needed to reconnect the device to the network to get internet back up again. It is pretty frustrating that even in Smart Connect you can't choose which channels the router will use.

Disabling airtime fairness and beamforming unfortunately have not helped. Same symptoms exist. Take the dog out back, have internet. Walk around the house, strong (enough, - 50db) signal remains but exclamation point shows up and I lose connection.

Any thoughts?

Gotta add this. I moved my router to a different room (and updated to latest version) and I have had a LOT better wireless experience. Looks like the router was getting interference from all the tech equipment in my office.

Disabling airtime fairness and beamforming unfortunately have not helped. Same symptoms exist. Take the dog out back, have internet. Walk around the house, strong (enough, - 50db) signal remains but exclamation point shows up and I lose connection.

Any thoughts?

Which device is Main router ? RT-AC5300 or GT-AC5300 ?

I'm gonna call Asus tomorrow but anyone else have suggestions? This is crazy frustrating and makes me want to sell these and go with a proper mesh system.

I'm gonna call Asus tomorrow but anyone else have suggestions? This is crazy frustrating and makes me want to sell these and go with a proper mesh system.

Have you seed the feature with system log, WiFi log by WebUI Feedback function ?

Continued to experiment last couple days. Thought maybe the lack of the second 5ghz channel or power or the ac66u was a culprit... So took it out as a node. No positive gain.

After I disabled smart connect, I did see positive change. Even though I have times where I get the exclamation point (like walking around yard, clearly hoping to a new node) a few seconds later or so, I regain internet; whereas before I had to manually disconnect and reconnect.

So not perfect and sucks not being able to use smart connect but progress. Still want to call Asus.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!