What's new

AiMesh Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

whsbuss

I'm looking to replace my eero gen.1 3-node system with two Asus routers, running AiMesh. I have an older RT-AC68U that was used before the eero and is in great working order. I will most likely purchase the AC86U as the main router/ap.

My question is since I'm using FiOS and require the quantum router (wifi disabled), I would have to place the AC86U in AP mode. Does AiMesh provide for this type of setup, or does it require a main router vs AP.

Thanks!!

AiMesh will run one router in normal mode and the other in AP mode(sort of), but you will not access that AP node separately, it will be managed by the Main router once Aimesh is set up. I use a AC3100 as the main unit and an older AC68U as the AP. Note that the T-mobile version of the AC-68 can't be used with later versions of the firmware for AiMesh. To prevent losing 1/2 of your bandwidth use an ethernet connection between the two routers. They will work across wifi however. To set them up WIFI linked they need to be close together initially. Read how to set them up, use updated firmware and it will be easy. Later firmware upgrades will be handled at the main router only. It will update the AP. The AC3100 can be bought as a factory refurb at NewEgg for about $130. Big improvement as a router over the AC68U.

Right, the AiMesh software appears to take care of the pecking order, so to speak, of which piece is the "master" and how the other(s) follow. it's not router and AP anymore, it's all nodes.
(I'm curious to see if future versions of AiMesh will include the ability of master nodes with different ISPs to mesh and share connections; imagine 5 or 6 homes, each with gigabit service, meshing together to blanket their neighbourhood with potential 5-6 Gbit up and down speeds...)
And yes, Cat5e backhaul between master and nodes makes for optimal network speeds...

I have RT-AC5300 and AC68U connected via Aimesh. The node connection via WiFi did not work. Every attempt the progress bar ran very fast after 75% and gave me an error after the finish. I could only manage it by connecting the LAN from the AC5300 to WAN in AC68U. After adding the node and disconnecting the LAN cable WiFi connection kept working. The connection speed is not that high though.

I have RT-AC5300 and AC68U connected via Aimesh. The node connection via WiFi did not work. Every attempt the progress bar ran very fast after 75% and gave me an error after the finish. I could only manage it by connecting the LAN from the AC5300 to WAN in AC68U. After adding the node and disconnecting the LAN cable WiFi connection kept working. The connection speed is not that high though.

Not sure why that happens. I was looking at the 5300 to augment my older 68U as well. I do have ethernet backhaul.

The heat must finally be starting to get to me... I can't stop humming "We don't need another Eero" since reading this. I doubt Tina Turner would approve.

Why are you replacing the eero?

Well I've had to restart it every few weeks. Things slow down over time and then my ecobee3 lite shows a poor connection in the eero app. My home is just 2050 sq. ft and coverage is good.

Not sure why that happens. I was looking at the 5300 to augment my older 68U as well. I do have ethernet backhaul.
I figured out why connection of the node failed everytime. I have wifi networks hidden. As soon as I disclosed teh nettwork names, the node connected.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!